Recommendations

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Sisemen

Recommendations

#1 Post by Sisemen » Mon May 14, 2018 2:46 am

On Sunday the memsahb and I start a journey which ends up in Cairns; Perth-Adelaide by plane and thence by rail via Melbourne, Sydney and Brizzy. We’ve got 6 days in Cairns before the flight back.

Any recommendations?

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Recommendations

#2 Post by Alisoncc » Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 am

Sise, lived there for three years. Definitely recommend this:

https://www.skyrail.com.au/
Note wrote:Skyrail Rainforest Cableway will be closed on the following dates in 2018:
May: Monday 28th
June: Monday 4th June; Monday 11th June; Monday 18th June & Monday 25th
gondola.jpg
gondola.jpg (47.19 KiB) Viewed 1113 times

The Barron Gorge is well worth viewing, especially during the wet season when the falls are in flood. And Kuranda is a nice touristy village to spend a few hours. Elf and sefty would have had kittens if they knew that I rode the top of a gondola when we were having problems with the solar panels that charged the batteries for the emergency radios. This was before it was opened to the public circa 1996/7.

A drive up to Mossman Gorge is also well worth while, especially if you continue on to the Daintree, but watch out for crocodiles. Mind you that applies to all areas around Cairns, beaches in particular. Salties are big, fast and very dangerous.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Sisemen

Re: Recommendations

#3 Post by Sisemen » Mon May 14, 2018 11:25 am

Muchos gracias. The Skyrail and Kuranda are on my agenda as is Green Island. Will check out the other spots. If you see me advertising on the Lonely Hearts ads then you know that Mrs Sise got too near the crocs :ymdevil: