Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The last gallon

#1 Post by ian16th » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:44 am

Qantas direct flights Oz - UK

A question of payload costs.

When these ultra-long distance flights happen, just how many units, be they lbs/gallons/litres, of Avtur are burnt, carrying the last one used?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The last gallon

#2 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:43 am

I recall the rule of thumb for shorter distances was 4% per hour, which kind of makes 25 hour flights difficult :)) Often more economic to tech stop en-route except for the major pax handling and crew-duty factors.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Woody » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:44 am

I’m sure the figure is available on the internet, if not Caco probably has the info.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by probes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 am

20 hours 20 min onboard... hm. Yoga classes would be needed during the flight as well?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:15 am

Many years ago I read an article in the British Caledonian house newspaper about how much fuel was used to carry an unnecessary sugar sachet in the meal trollies of a DC-10 for one year. I can't be sure after all this time but I think it was one litre of fuel. Someone must have had too much time on their hands to work that one out - but I find it difficult to believe anyway!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:59 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:15 am
Many years ago I read an article in the British Caledonian house newspaper about how much fuel was used to carry an unnecessary sugar sachet in the meal trollies of a DC-10 for one year. I can't be sure after all this time but I think it was one litre of fuel. Someone must have had too much time on their hands to work that one out - but I find it difficult to believe anyway!
You'd be surprised C16, I worked on an ops management and logistics planning suite of software for the airline industry that included factors such as when the aircraft had last been been cleaned etc. in the search for cost optimisation mainly through, but not only through, reduced fuel burn including dust indices and many other factors. Everything is looked at. Absolutely fascinating stuff (absolutely suited to a nerd like me)! ;)))

Caco

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by probes » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:02 am

It's even more puzzling, then, that boarding cards are not sold according to the pax weight? Would be great motivation to stay healthy, too?

Capetonian

#8 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 am

There are one or two airlines who weigh pax for W&B when using small aircraft. Now why don't they take that a step further and charge a fuel surcharge for pax who are over a certain optimum weight, for example 85 kg (clothed.)

It annoys me somewhat that if my hold bag is 1kg over the allowed weight, I am expected to pay extra, which ignores the fact that I weigh less than 70 kg, but fatty in the queue in front of me weighs 120 and isn't charged extra.

As an aside, I was walking in Wharfedale at the weekend with the missus, who commented :
"There aren't many fat people up in this part of England."
Err, not quite, you don't see them out walking in the Yorkshire Dales, they're stuffing their faces with pies and chips in Greggs.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:57 am

Could be they are too fat to walk?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ian16th » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 am
There are one or two airlines who weigh pax for W&B when using small aircraft.
The one time I was SLF on British Caladonian, I was weighed bfore my seat was allocated.

Mind you it was a Piper Chieftan, flying Birmingham to Gatwick.

As an aside, I was walking in Wharfedale at the weekend with the missus, who commented :
"There aren't many fat people up in this part of England."
Err, not quite, you don't see them out walking in the Yorkshire Dales, they're stuffing their faces with pies and chips in Greggs.

Enjoy yourselves, and please pay homage for being allowed into Gods Own country.
If you get to Leyburn, the cheese is smashing.
Cynicism improves with age

Slasher

#11 Post by Slasher » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:20 am
It annoys me somewhat that if my hold bag is 1kg over the allowed weight, I am expected to pay extra, which ignores the fact that I weigh less than 70 kg, but fatty in the queue in front of me weighs 120 and isn't charged extra.
+1 big time.

Whenever I board for a Venus through the gate I see these horrible morbidly obese local and Egyptian ugly fat slobs (and not just the males) sitting in the waiting lounge, which makes me realise the ZFW on the loadsheet later will be just *****. I insert it into the box with an added one tonne to reflect some sort of reality.

Carry-on bags should be measured by volume and not weight. The proof being large bags being booted off to the cargo bays and that baggage travels free. Yes there has to be some weight limit, but let it be commensurate with volume up to say 35kg, e.g. If Cape's is 1 or 2 kg over the limit but his bag isn't as big as a bloody house then let it slide, and take into account he's a skinny bugger.

The standard pax weight used here is 85kg. I can vouch for every Venus and back I do the average real weight is almost 50% more. I sh!t you not. Above 14,000 ft the A320 can calculate its actual ZFW taking into account AoA and stab trim setting among others. It's ALWAYS heavier than loadsheet by an average of 500-800kg.

This differed from Nam where the standard weight was 75kg, but your average standard Viet came nowhere near that - even if you stuffed mud in his boots.