the problem we have with airport closures...

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
dubbleyew eight
Capt
Capt

the problem we have with airport closures...

#1 Post by dubbleyew eight » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:29 am

australia, particularly in the east has been closing airports.
the people concerned think god is on their side (or it makes financial sense) and cannot be dissuaded from the closures.

I am glad the attitude is so different in other parts of the world.
did you know that Mexico, which is tiny compared to australia, has 1834 airports.

blob.png
blob.png (208.89 KiB) Viewed 1318 times

have a look at a typical airport. just beside a road with minimum intrusion.
our CAsA has a lot to answer for with standards that kill aviation.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: the problem we have with airport closures...

#2 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:11 pm

Hasn't changed in forty five years, and don't expect it to. When i first arrived in Australia as a civilian in 1970 stayed with rels in Brisbane. After a couple of days headed off to Archerfield looking for work. Commented to manager of AWA radio workshops "A lot of aircraft parked out there, must be pretty busy." He replied "Look at the grass around the tyres, most haven't moved in months".

Move on ten years on a training course with Digital at Marlborough Mass. Overheard a conversation of two US based reps discussing their territories, and how DEC pick up the tab for their fuel and landing fees. Both flew to sales appointments. Whilst yours truly had recently returned from a visit to the telescope at Parkes - by road. General aviation is a farce in Australia, and always will be. If the aviation authorities here were running the roads we would still have people walking in front of cars with a red flag.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: the problem we have with airport closures...

#3 Post by Pinky the pilot » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:51 am

General aviation is a farce in Australia, and always will be.

Actually Alison, I suspect that if the current crop of Aviation authorities have their way, General Aviation in Australia will eventually cease to exist! X(
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.