Sailing in Croatia---any advice

Might have some relevance to a few
G~Man
Capt
Capt

Sailing in Croatia---any advice

#1 Post by G~Man » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:43 pm

I figured I would ask the learned masses of Ops-Normal, as I am sure some will be able to point me in the right direction. I did ask on the "other" site also.

I am headed to Croatia in a week to Captain a 48' sailboat Catamaran out of Split for 7 days. (I know, it does not have a tail rotor and will not fly). The group is me and SWeMBO and 3 other couples, all mid-50's ish on our boat. There will be 5 other boats in our Flotilla, but not mandatory to stay with the group. Itinerary is:

Friday arrive and stay in Radisson resort
Saturday, boat check out and stay in Trogir Marina
Sunday sail to Maslinica on Solta Island via the Blue Lagoon for a few hours
Monday sail to Vis town on Otok Island
Tuesday sail to Komiza on South side of Otok
Wednesday sail to Palmizana on Paklinski just 2.7 miles from Hvar---we can take the dingy if needed
Thursday sail to Vrboska on Hvar
Friday sail to Milna on Brac Island
Saturday return the boat to Trogir

Looking for any info on:

What to see, what to avoid
Must places to eat, where to avoid
Anything else that you wish to share.....

Thanx in advance...

This was me and my "crew" sailing Tahiti last year....not that we have too much fun or anything....(Me in front--yes I am wearing eye liner..)
31910134_10216916450452487_4839363042242199552_o_5c7dddb2453bfe30b299cffb24904634219d8851.jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Sailing in Croatia---any advice

#2 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:11 pm

See everything, avoid nothing, eat everything and be careful with home-made hooch unless you have a plentiful supply of aspirin/paracetamol for the next day. I have not sailed off that coast but had a couple of motorhome holidays which I enjoyed immensely. Oh, and keep an eye on your belongings.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by reddo » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:22 am

I probably flew over you a couple of times. Lots of super yachts in the area. We drop off the pax in Dubrovnik or Zadar and a helicopter takes them to their super yacht. Tough life. :D

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:35 pm

Aarg!
A fine crew ye have there Cap’n.
Very jealous of your cruise.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:04 pm

When landing on a superyacht goes wrong. I believe that the rotor wash resulted in a tarpaulin making contact with either the tail or main rotor. Fortunately nobody was killed although the passenger nearly drowned.

Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) reported this week Chan was at the controls, not experienced helicopter pilot Quentin Smith (known as “Captain Q”) who was also on board along with Chinese lawyer David Tang. While Chan and Smith escaped serious injury, Tang was declared clinically dead at one point but rescued from the wreckage by Smith and, later, local emergency crews from Norway’s Redningsetaten. who had rushed to the scene. Tang later made a large donation to the emergency service, for helping to save his life.

The crash had initially been blamed on a piece of canvas that hadn’t been fastened properly on the yacht and blew into the helicopter’s rotary blades during landing. Now the state report reveals that Chan was the pilot, and that he had hovered above the deck of his yacht for around 15 seconds before landing.

“The fact that the pilot (Chan) had such limited experience resulted in him using more time to hover over the (yacht’s) helicopter deck, which in turn led to the canvas loosening from around the (yacht’s) fuel tank,” according to the report.

It was reportedly the first time Chan had attempted to land on his yacht Bacarella. Kåre Halvorsen, director of the aviation division of the investigations board (Statens havarikommisjon), said it was “impossible” to say whether the canvas would have loosened if a more experienced pilot had been at the controls. “But by being more restrictive about risk, perhaps the least experienced pilot would have landed the helicopter, Halvorsen told NRK.

Smith, who served as “chief” on board the helicopter that day, had said shortly after the crash that all three men on board were pilots with “a passion” for flying. They had flown the helicopter from London to Scotland and then across the North Sea to Bergen, where they intended to spend 1o days on the yacht touring Norway’s scenic West Coast and fjords.

Smith was credited by accident investigators for ensuring that the helicopter did not sink when it hit the water. He also dove back into the water to rescue Chan, who was still inside the helicopter, and Tang, who was in the backseat.

No technical problems were discovered on the helicopter. The yacht’s crew was criticized for failing to launch lifeboats and that fire extinguishers weren’t available on the helicopter deck.

https://www.newsinenglish.no/2019/02/15 ... elicopter/

One does wonders why Mr Smith (Captain "Q"), an apparently experienced helicopter pilot, did not suggest that the decks were cleared before Mr Chang attempted his first deck landing? I can't imagine Captain G~Man allowing the scurvy swab flying the helicopter to make such a hash of his first deck landing (you can see seats, cushions and other paraphernalia flying around before the watery denouement). ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 pm

And that's why I don't have a super yacht or a helicopter. :((

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Woody » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:49 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 pm

PP
Not much point in having a Superyacht in Arizona, well not before the earthquake :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:52 am

Woody wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:49 am
PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:40 pm

PP
Not much point in having a Superyacht in Arizona, well not before the earthquake :ymdevil:
I thought PHXPhlyer was talking about a sand yacht, although Lord knows what a luxury version of one of those might look like? ;)))

I suppose one could fit a hot tub with a little platform for the champagne, with enough space for 2 glasses, for you and the naked girl in the bubbles, heaven forfend that it it turned over or capsized mind you =))

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."