Road trip round Ireland - suggestions wanted

Might have some relevance to a few
Capetonian

Road trip round Ireland - suggestions wanted

#1 Post by Capetonian » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:56 pm

I have 5 days in which to do a trip round Ireland. I need to start and finish in Belfast, leaving on a Thursday afternoon to be back the following Tuesday late afternoon. The dates are not flexible.

As I already know the north quite well, I would like to see more of the south. I've spent plenty of time in the Dublin area and in Cork so don't feel any great need to go back to either on this trip, and the idea is to see some of the beauty of the west coast, so I thought of an itinerary roughly including Sligo, Westport, then N67 round the coast and back towards Limerick. I don't think I'll have time to get to the southwest and do it justice.

I know the distances aren't large but the roads are slow and the whole point is to take it slow and easy, so I'm not sure how much ground to cover. I think it's really only feasible by car so I plan to hire one, but would be quite happy to sling a backpack over my shoulder and use trains and buses as not having to drive can be quite liberating.

Any hints and ideas would be welcome. Particularly, if I just drive until I feel the need to stop somewhere, am I likely to find accommodation without difficulty or do I need to pre-book? I'm happy with anything clean and comfortable, but not bottom end (dormitory/youth hotel stuff) and within reason don't have a price constraint, quite happy to pay €100 or so a night, which I think should be enough in smaller places although I know that doesn't get you anything decent in Dublin or Cork.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Re: Road trip round Ireland - suggestions wanted

#2 Post by unifoxos » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:49 pm

I remember visiting the museum in Tralee some years ago where you could go round a mediaeval version of the city in an electric cart (a bit like Yorvik, in York). From a quick google it looks like they have abandoned the electric carts and you now walk round it. Still worth a visit, IMO.

LINK :- http://kerrymuseum.ie/galleries/medieval-experience/ (I haven't found out how to make it clickable on this forum)

I also remember fondly visiting Kilbeggan distillery, on a slow day - only two of us there. The guide, Rory, took his time showing us everything, and freely issuing tastes of the various relevant whiskies. Probably not the same now, most of these places have gone too touristy nowadays and charge for the sampling.

LINK - http://www.kilbeggandistillery.com/plan ... p-and-shop

You will be visiting the flying boat museum, of course.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

admin
Chief Engineer

#3 Post by admin » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:47 pm

unifoxos wrote:I haven't found out how to make it clickable on this forum.

In Full Editor and Preview.
links.JPG
links.JPG (14.23 KiB) Viewed 1505 times

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by unifoxos » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:03 am

Thanks, Alison, I was using the Quick Reply as I was a bit pushed for time, I'll use the full editor next time I want to insert a link. It would be really handy to have just two buttons on the quick reply - for quotes and links, but I don't suppose that's possible.

Cape - it was about 20 years ago that I had a small road trip, I was tasked with an installation in Killarney, mileage, ferries and two nights accommodation provided for the one day's work. I booked the ferry for a few days before and after the agreed installation date to get a cheap holiday. The first 2 nights we had pre-booked an inn in Dungarvan (a friend's cousin's pub) and the next two were pre-booked for the installation. The rest of the time we stopped where we fancied and never had a problem getting a room at a sensible rate, often the best, or only, hotel in the town. Can't say if it's the same nowadays, the introduction of the Euro seemed to cause quite a jump in prices, and the last time I was in Dublin - a couple of years ago - everything was ridiculously expensive.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Capetonian

#5 Post by Capetonian » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:53 pm

I forgot to go back and update this thread. Since posting, I have made two fantastic trips around Ireland and now something of a self-proclaimed expert on the country! I am about to embark on a third trip in a week or so.

The first trip was from Belfast to Strandhill, used that as a base for going up to Donegal, then down to Co Mayo, Connemara, Galway, The Burren, Cliffs of Moher, Adare (Limerick), Tralee, Ring of Dingle, and Killarney, before heading back to Dublin and Belfast. Stayed at some fantastic places and the some wonderful meals. It was an 8 day trip and we only had one less than excellent hotel.

The next trip started in Strandhill again, did part of the previous route, then down to Kenmare (Kerry) for 6 days, Ring of Kerry, then to Kinsale, Cobh, and Rosslare. That was a 12 day trip, and apart from a couple of days of rotten weather, was fabulous too.

I am happy to pass on scenic, hotel and dining recommendations.