Even stranger encounter over the "Cyber" ....

Might have some relevance to a few
Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Even stranger encounter over the "Cyber" ....

#1 Post by Chuks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:04 pm

I am on LinkedIn, just as a way of keeping in touch with some old classmates. Every so often I get a request, usually from someone I have never heard of, to be accepted as just another link in the chain, some friend of a friend of some guy I took Underwater Basket-Weaving with. (Some of these, I am almost sure, must come from LinkedIn itself, just to generate traffic and make some more money off the advertisers.)

Today one such request appeared in my e-mail, from a fellow listed as living right here in the village, with a family name that's rather well-known. The only personal data was that he's an independent candidate for Chancellor, Angela Merkel's job. His avatar was a guy posed in front of a mirror holding a rather large i-Phone-looking thing that hid most of his face. The top of his otherwise shaven head sported a Travis Bickle-style strip of hair and on his naked chest there was a tattooed logo with a figure raising his right arm in a clenched-fist salute. God only knows what this weirdo wants!

I called a guy I know in the village with the same family name, when he said that no, he'd never heard of this guy by name, plus he's not in the (very small) phone book. So I just binned the request because I have all the weirdos I need right here on the "Cyber." If anyone else needs a new friend though, PM me and I will put you in touch. Maybe you will end up hogtied being taught some new and surprising way to get your freak on .... Who knows?

Cacophonix

Re: Even stranger encounter over the "Cyber" ....

#2 Post by Cacophonix » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Dumped LinkedIn, never Tweeted, don't do Friendface...

As for friends, anybody who claims he can number more friends than he can count on one hand is deluded or lying. As for enemies I have enough too and like my friends they know that if they really want to reach me it won't be on the internet.

His avatar was a guy posed in front of a mirror holding a rather large i-Phone-looking thing that hid most of his face. The top of his otherwise shaven head sported a Travis Bickle-style strip of hair and on his naked chest there was a tattooed logo with a figure raising his right arm in a clenched-fist salute. God only knows what this weirdo wants!

Probably one of the underwater basket weaving alumni wanting to discuss new nylon looms. Your amusing anecdote brought to mind that IT Crowd episode with the German cello playing cannibal. :)

[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOE-q20RcDM[/bbvideo]

Caco

Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Chuks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:06 am

Caco, did you read about the real-life case of the German who wanted to be cooked and eaten? They ended up first convicting his killer of manslaughter but later of murder, so that instead of eight years he's now in prison for life.

It got quite a bit of coverage, when that was mostly grisly but also a bit comical. Things kicked off with both victim and killer snacking on a ... sausage which was disappointingly tough. (If that had been Trump then it would also have been that the portions were too small, I suppose, so this sorry episode in German regional cuisine could have been even more disappointing.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes

In the case of my freaky wanna-be "friend" my wife told me that the guy does exist, that she knows his mother. That's good to know, but since I am "in the book" I reckon that the guy could just call me if he really wants to get in touch; there's no need for LinkedIn.

Meanwhile, Sturm 81 was nowhere to be seen on my last visit to the gym.

I was wondering about steroid abuse. If you don't mind telling us, how much did you take, how, and for how long? Also, did you really see the drug working on your musculature, and on, ah ... other parts of your anatomy? It would be interesting, if you don't mind, to know how that all fits together: 'roids/muscles/outlaw biker club membership. It's pretty far from anything I would get into, which is why I ask.

I was wondering if we could get the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) to outlaw the use of this new drug we have in the States because of the way it seems to cause shrinkage of brain tissue. It's called Trump, and its users seem to be losing their senses.

Cacophonix

#4 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:33 am

Like the old song didn't say chuks

" People
People who eat people
Are the luckiest people in the world"

I must admit that I hadn't heard about the real German cannibal and now understand the IT Crowd trope better and it is even more amusing for that knowledge, thank you!

I am glad to hear that your Sturm 81 'friend' is not a regular at your gym. Ultimately these folks are not really the kind of people you would want to have back for a macrobiotic meal accompanied by oat based mead at home with your wife and kids (as you well know)!

"Bless me father for I have sinned..."

As for the steroid abuse period it lasted about 18 months between the ages of 20 and 21. I am 55 now so I suppose I can come 'clean' about my past stupidity and look my AME in the eye when he looks at me sceptically when renewing my medical. I only ingested steroids orally at the time and was nowhere as big a user as many of my then peers who would use a combination of oral and injected steroid to stack up the effect. I guess my saving grace was that I was disinclined to inject because of the drug addict connotations and ultimately because I couldn't afford the higher doses. Is their use efficacious in building bulk and muscle? The answer is an absolute yes! I put on at least 15 Kg of muscle in that period and felt and looked great for at least a year but towards the end I began to see how these silly short cuts can come back to haunt you. I was training every day and ultimately had a bout of tachycardia at the 18 month mark and I was seriously worried that I was in the throes of a heart attack, feeling absolutely awful with a heart thumping at 120 beats a minute for no good reason. The doctor was called out and my blood pressure was off the scale. I admitted my stupidity and he read me the riot act and told me a lot of the stuff that nobody was saying openly in the gym even if it was common knowledge, which it was, back in the early 80's. Suffice it to say I stopped sine die and look back at my experience ruefully today. Did the experience leave me unscathed? Well I did worry about the gonad thing and for a while I fervently believed I had been effected but I guess that was paranoia (another symptom of steroid abuse by the way). I never lost the bloody weight and as I slouch into my late fifties I regret that immensely. The blood pressure returned to normal and I sustained no heart damage. I was lucky I guess.

As for the outlaw biker thing I hung around with a couple of guys who belonged to the Cape Town chapter who were all into the gym in a big way (steroids being part of their of provenance amongst even heavier stuff). I eventually became a prospect but I began to appreciate how my life was potentially going down the wrong road at the time of the health scare, pulled myself together and drifted away from that scene so was never patched. I pulled myself together and went to do a composite law degree at UCT (liberal arts majors, Latin and the Law subjects). Subsequently I left South Africa became addicted to flying, spent more than I ever would have if I had taken up a Class A drug, got divorced and it has been downhill ever since (but that's another story). :)

Caco

Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Chuks » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Ah, yes ... AIDS! Aviation-Induced Divorce Syndrome! I remember one fellow whose wife ran off with his book-keeper. Then he proposed to his girlfriend. She turned him down so that he married her mother instead. Helicopter pilot, of course ....

We had a kid in high school who wanted to become a professional footballer (American football). He was noted for his muscles, and a friend of mine who knew him said he was using steroids (back before the side effects became notorious) but I never heard what became of him. I don't think he made it into professional football, anyway.

No, Sturmy-wurmy is not on the invite list for a barbecue. I would not want him to burn his tongue on a smoking-hot Bratwurst and then go mad and wreck the joint. Best kept at a certain distance, that fellow, although, come to think of it, perhaps I introduce him to Freakazoid. They could get together and compare tattoos?