British Summer Time/ Daylight Saving

Might have some relevance to a few
Capetonian

British Summer Time/ Daylight Saving

#1 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:49 pm

I am aware that British Summer time ended in the early hours of this morning and the UK is now on GMT, or UTC, or Z0, whatever we might call it.

I have seen a couple of newspaper articles discussing the permanent ending of the practice as of today, and I am left uncertain whether the clocks will go forward again in March, or not, as one article implies that this is permanent :
British Summer Time finally came to an end at 2am as the nation enjoyed another hour in bed

At 2am the UK reverted from British Summer Time to Greenwich Mean Time
It meant another extra hour in bed but the nights will continue to get longer
Clocks went back tonight as British Summer Time finally came to an end
Does anyone know?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: British Summer Time/ Daylight Saving

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:10 pm

The clocks will go forward by one hour at 01:00z on the last Sunday of March. As usual.

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks. That is what I thought but it was unclear from the quoted article's use of 'finally came to an end', and I know that the EUWankers have been talking abut abolishing the clock change and would wish to impose that on the UK.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:05 pm

We in the UK are geographically connected to Greenwich, the place that most of the planet recognises as the centre of time.

Why the fukk should we fukk around with GMT?

Leave it alone. It's a really really good measure of time and you can't stretch the length of daylight by winding an analogue or digital clock forwards or backwards by an hour or any other amount of time.

OK, so we must accept that GMT must necessarily be given a French name because the first ever PM with a Science degree cut the Science budget to such an extent that we can't measure the Longitude of Greenwich or Herstmonceaux astronomically any more, but please cut us some slack here.

OK, so I'm a grumpy old git with a bit of an obsession with astro-geodesy and a post-grad degree in the subject and have the long-case clock which was commissioned and owned by the man who coined the word "chronometer" and was the first Hydrographer of the Navy, in my living room, but fafuxake please stop pissing around with the time of day! Please!

Harrumphh!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:44 pm

I understand it is the EU that wishes to remain in summer time from October next year, however individual states may change their clocks back but only until Oct 20.

I am not sure if the EU realised they already cover 3 time zones so they can't have all countries on one.

In UK I think most of England, Ireland and Wales would be happy on GMT+1.

Our 7 month old pup was stamping around from 4pm and by 5.15 was bloody furious throwing her dish around.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:44 pm
Our 7 month old pup was stamping around from 4pm and by 5.15 was bloody furious throwing her dish around.
There are entire nations on the Southern seaboard of Europe doing pretty much the same thing, albeit for only very slightly different reasons.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:34 pm

I agree that we should stop mucking about with it, each Country should decide what they want, Geographically accurate or + 1 and stick with it, then we can all get to learn it forever. Living in NZ with relatives in UK and USA, all of whom change at different times, makes my Life unbearable, ie. are they 11, 12, or 13, (UK) or 3, 4 or 5 hours ( USA ) different today ? I currently have three clocks before me, all showing the current local time, and all needing adjustment twice a year, what a waste of my life.

I would go for the UK and NZ being permanently +1, and the USA staying as they are.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:39 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:44 pm
....In UK I think most of England, Ireland and Wales would be happy on GMT+1.....
I note you leave out Scotland! Sunrise chez C16 on the shortest day would be 0945!! No way would this Englander in exile be happy with that.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Slasher

#9 Post by Slasher » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:20 am

I agree the annual UK time embuggerment scheme should cease. What the Frogs and Continent do with their clocks is their own business, but the Greenwich Observatory is located in England and that's that. It's confusing too when one agrees to call somebody there at a certain time and find one has rung an hour too late and the deal's closed with the pubs shut. 🙄

Capetonian

#10 Post by Capetonian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:53 am

It is a bloody nuisance and an anachronism. What irritates me, twice a year, is that some of our electronics update automatically and some don't but I never remember which do and which don't. I'd prefer if none of them did, and then I could deal with it consistently.

Rather than playing with the clocks twice a year, people could adjust to a natural seasonal rhythm of daylight, which is probably what nature intended.

For example, I've been in ZA for the last month or so with a laptop which was set to Z2/GMT+2 (CET), so it was correct for ZA time, yesterday it changed to Z1 so it's now an hour slow for where I am. My Irish phone didn't change, so it's an hour fast compared to the correct time, but my dual SIM which has my ZA and GB SIMs in it changed ........ death and confusion to all of them.

Does anyone know the connection between Daylight Saving Time and the bank Black Sabbath?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ian16th » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:11 am

Do y'all realise that this time zone thing is why most days of Test Cricket at Durban have 'bad light stopped play'!

As Cape says, SA is all on the same time zone; but it shouldn't be. It is too wide!

But having multiple time zones would confuse the NR's even more.
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

#12 Post by Capetonian » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 am

NRs work on African Mean Time, hours have no relevance to them.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 am

CharlieOneSix, have you tried Iceland? Only seem to have been there in the winter but it was quite unnerving getting up at normal time to pitch black. At least in Jockistan it would be grey. Still pitch black at 11.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:04 am

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:57 am
NRs work on African Mean Time, hours have no relevance to them.
Was on a trip to India. An American in the presentation team ahead of me berated them for their concept of time. I admit it was a bit unnerving with a tight schedule when your hosts of a morning hung on to you insisting on lunch etc or someone would deviate from the schedule.

Slasher

#15 Post by Slasher » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:18 am

Rather than playing with the clocks twice a year, people could adjust to a natural seasonal rhythm of daylight, which is probably what nature intended.
Of course it is. The ancient Ragheads, Chinese, Mayans, Sumerians Polynesians...and even the bloody Castaway didn't fiddle and fukk with the natural rhythm of solar time and seasonery.

Besides, does anyone really want to be playing on a golf course at 10pm embuggeration time?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:24 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:59 am
CharlieOneSix, have you tried Iceland? Only seem to have been there in the winter but it was quite unnerving getting up at normal time to pitch black. At least in Jockistan it would be grey. Still pitch black at 11.
No, never been there. The furthest north I operated was when on detachment to Unst - would be 1013 GMT sunrise on the shortest day there if there was no BST. The compensation was that on the longest day sunset was 2240 BST and sunrise was 0330 BST. I was told some folk played golf there on that day starting at sunset as it never got really inky black.
'
unstgolf.JPG
unstgolf.JPG (39.73 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 am

I used to admire the Americans in the States getting 18 holes in before breakfast and work. Wonder why UK courses don't start till gone 9, not that I care, rather walk the 🐕.

Sisemen

#18 Post by Sisemen » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Spare a thought for dyslexics though ..... that’s the day their cocks go black =))

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:28 am
.....getting 18 holes in before breakfast.....
At my age I can’t even get one hole in before breakfast...... =))

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Ibbie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:47 pm

The Morrocans have not changed their clocks over the weekend, deciding to stay at GMT +1.