What do Wolverhampton and Liverpool have in common?

Might have some relevance to a few
Capetonian

What do Wolverhampton and Liverpool have in common?

#1 Post by Capetonian » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:59 pm

According to a survey, and this is not a view I share, they are the 'saddest' places in Britain.

Wolverhampton undoubtedly, it's an unremitting dump with no redeeming features, always has been, and the worst accent in the British Isles. Liverpool has spirit and character and charm and humour and people there always seem happy and helpful, I love the place.

Edit : As 500N says, loads of history, culture, music, renovated Albert Docks, National Maritime Museum, Anfield Stadium which even I enjoyed, Beatles experience ..... so much to enjoy.

The four happiest places are in Scotland, there's no surprise.

It's a pretty daft 'study' but it might stir up some conversation.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: What do Wolverhampton and Liverpool have in common?

#2 Post by 500N » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:07 pm

Liverpool - history, some culture (as in music, Beatles).

Agree re Wolverhampton.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by om15 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:35 pm

I always think that Wolverhampton has bestowed positive influences on English society, (Noddy Holder, Banks's Bitter), whereas I find little to enthuse about from Liverpool, the accent is excruciating, musicians and comedians vastly overrated and talentless, the swelling statistics of the prison population and unemployment figures in Liverpool speak for themselves.
No, in this particular instance I'm afraid I can't agree, people from there may be wildly excited about the place, but I would rather spend a long weekend break in Jeddah I'm afraid.

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:00 pm

I think you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find anything good about Wolverhampton, one of its claims to fame is that it was the first place in Britain to have electric traffic lights - great! The other is that one of the few politicians whom I have admired and respected was MP for the place - Enoch Powell.

Noddy Holder - I thought he was a footballer so Googled him to find he was with Slade. Not a group whose music I liked.

Banks's Bitter. I'm not qualified to express a view since I don't drink bitter.

Liverpool has produced dozens of good musicians and good comedians. I'd happily spend time there, in fact I often do, on a voluntary basis I might add!

It's all a matter of taste.

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by Dirk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Is it really that bad?, must admit my only experiences are my visits to halfpenny gree, which I always enjoy....nice atmos, freindly and helpful AFIS and a half decent Cafe, in fact one of my favourite destinations for the old hundred quid breakfast

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by Dirk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:23 pm

P.S. Noddy is a legend

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by Dirk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:25 pm

My Keyboard is re-arranging letters all by itself...honest Guv

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by Dirk » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Oh and re: Liverpool, I would never rate it as one of saddest places in Britain, not by a long chalk, but I would certainly put it up in the top 3 over-rated places in Britain, musicly I doubt it's produced any greater quantity of quality musicians than many other places, it just seems that way, because they talk about it so much, they can certainly talk the talk up there.
The accent is like fingernails on a blackboard to me, but that's just a personal thing.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by 500N » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:14 pm

I lived near Birmingham and went to school in the city. During the 60's and 70's it was a dump, father worked at Witton (ICI/IMI).
Due to my fathers hobby, traveled extensively through Staffs, Midlands and surrounds etc, visiting some of the worst
industrial dumps like all the power stations they are currently pulling down (Drakelow etc).

I always remember Wolverhampton as dark, black, smog etc and a reference to black pudding for some reason (which I love).

Dirk
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by Dirk » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Think you have mixed a memories of a few different places together 500.
Black pudding hails from much further North

If you thought Birmingham was a hole before you aint seen nothing, today, you can walk for miles through Birminhgham and see nothing but **** and their mess

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by 500N » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:53 pm

Dirk wrote:Think you have mixed a memories of a few different places together 500.
Black pudding hails from much further North

If you thought Birmingham was a hole before you aint seen nothing, today, you can walk for miles through Birminhgham and see nothing but **** and their mess

Re first bit, yes, but it kind of just stuck in my mind.

Re 2nd bit, by the time I left Birmingham / Shenstone (near Lichfield), it was already full of West Indians and Indians.

Capetonian

#12 Post by Capetonian » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Sent to me by a scouser friend

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:18 am

My last few months of Boy's service was at Cosford, and Wolves was the furthest we were allowed from camp. I went there a few times on Saturday's and it has left absolutely no impression on my brain.

Later in civilian life, I had to go to the Rubery Owen factory where they stamped out RoStyle wheels. It was the noisiest working environment I was ever in.

As for Liverpool, only ever visited for customers with problems, but I found the natives friendly and pleasant.

One oddity, as far as I can remember, Liverpool was the last place I came across a single hotel room. The hotel was shaped like a ship, I think it was called the Atlantic. I given a room right in the 'bows' of the 'ship', and it was a narrow triangle shaped room.
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Woody » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:43 pm

One oddity, as far as I can remember, Liverpool was the last place I came across a single hotel room. The hotel was shaped like a ship, I think it was called the Atlantic. I given a room right in the 'bows' of the 'ship', and it was a narrow triangle shaped room.

Strangely I was in a single room last night in Liverpool , it was in a converted Victorian house and the Atlantic Tower is still there.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by om15 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:39 am

4493394_f520.jpg
4493394_f520.jpg (58.46 KiB) Viewed 2151 times