Botswana Hunting Ban

Nice place if it wasn't for some of the locals
Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Botswana Hunting Ban

#1 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:27 am

Just read this article on the beeb online http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41163520 .

Throws a very positive light on the hunting ban here, and is well written in my opinion. :)
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Botswana Hunting Ban

#2 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:09 am

Thanks for posting that Mrs Ex-A. It's been a while, but I always found Botsies so different to the rest of the locals in Southern Africa. Botsies always seemed a nicer and less aggressive peoples. Used to visit Gaberones quite regularly still have very pleasant memories.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by unifoxos » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:50 am

I really hope this works out for them, maybe then the other countries will follow suit.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Capetonian

#4 Post by Capetonian » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:27 pm

The more countries that speak out and act against the wanton destruction of wildlife, the better.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:14 am

Capetonian wrote:The more countries that speak out and act against the wanton destruction of wildlife, the better.

Amen to that.

Caco

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:23 am

Our President has spoken out about Trumps reversal of the Trophy Import ban. He has also urged the UK and EU to ban all trade in ivory including antiques.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43435013

Looks like Botswana is leading in the attempt to put an end to poaching in Southern Africa.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Woody » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 am

Just watched an interesting investigation on the Victoria Derbyshire programme about wildlife poaching in Africa and how rangers are fighting against the heavily armed poachers X( , I’ll try to find a link.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:37 am

I guess it is too much to expect, but does anyone know if there is any logic in the Trumpet has changing the ban? Does he depend on the Rhino horn.........?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am

It sounds like your President Khama fully understands the People;Profit;Planet principle, otherwise known as the Triple Bottom Line. Admirable. The very antithesis of that arsehole Trump.

I first became aware of TBL/PPP as a result of a wonderful lecture by one of my heros, Willie Smits.

For years I had campaigned to have Wangari Maathai nominated for the Nobel Peace Price. I lobbied every Norwegian MP and every candidate for the Norwegian Parliament too. Eventually, after four years of sometimes frustrating effort, I (and others who were doing the same thing) succeeded.

I started to do the same thing for Willie Smits early in 2009. When Obama was nominated I initially thought it was a joke, a spoof. When he won the Prize I gave up entirely. It's the Prize itself that has become a joke and awarding it to Smits would be an insult to him and to all who understand the PPP Principle.

Here's Willie Smits talking about the Principle and how he has put it to good use in Indonesia. A different flora and fauna, but the PPP Principle is applicable to Botswana and a hundred other countries.
I commend this video to the House:

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:31 am

This is a good article despite being from the Daily Mail; https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... t-zoo.html

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Our problem is not local it is continental. We banned hunting so the elephants congregate here, they are very intelligent, they know. The solution is for the African Union to encourage other countries to also ban hunting. This would distribute the herds around southern Africa. Dr Mike Chase (Elephants Without Borders), whom we know, has been campaigning for years for elephant corridors so that they can migrate freely and safely.

Anyway at the end of the day the locals blame the elephants for stealing food from them but they themselves steal from us so tough ***** NRs. Hope the next one who steals from us gets trampled to death by an ellie.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Woody » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:52 pm

Maybe Ex-a will change his mind about the hunting ban :ymdevil:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48792250
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:44 pm

I think it's great that they're going to Southern Africa, but do we really have to let them come back?

Couldn't we, y'know, just leave them there?

He's got the Korps uniform for it, so couldn't we just appoint him as the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family rep to the former German colonies down there? For £2.4M I'm sure he could tart up some gaff in Lüderitz or somesuch place and make a nice little nest for his spawn.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:59 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:44 pm
I think it's great that they're going to Southern Africa, but do we really have to let them come back?

Couldn't we, y'know, just leave them there?

He's got the Korps uniform for it, so couldn't we just appoint him as the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family rep to the former German colonies down there? For £2.4M I'm sure he could tart up some gaff in Lüderitz or somesuch place and make a nice little nest for his spawn.
Do y'all realise, that for some totally unknown reason, that former Kraut Colony is now a member of The Commonwealth?
Cynicism improves with age