African elephants are being born without tusks due to poaching

Nice place if it wasn't for some of the locals
Capetonian

African elephants are being born without tusks due to poaching

#1 Post by Capetonian » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:33 pm

I don't profess to know much about genetics, but my reaction to reading this is that it's *****. I can't believe that removing tusks can cause a genetic modification of this nature over 'decades'. If it's true, it's very sad.

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/eleph ... 40706.html

African elephants are being born without tusks due to poaching, researchers say

The species could become extinct in some areas, with those elephants that do survive evolving to be almost completely tuskless

An increasing number of African elephants are now born tuskless because poachers have consistently targetted animals with the best ivory over decades, fundamentally altering the gene pool.

In some areas 98 per cent of female elephants now have no tusks, researchers have said, compared to between two and six per cent born tuskless on average in the past.

Almost a third of Africa’s elephants have been illegally slaughtered by poachers in the past ten years to meet demand for ivory in Asia, where there is still a booming trade in the material, particularly in China.

About 144,000 elephants were killed between 2007 and 2014, leaving the species at risk of extinction in some areas. Meanwhile those African elephant populations that do survive could become virtually tuskless, like their Asian cousins, researchers have warned.

Joyce Poole is head of the charity Elephant Voices and has been tracking developments in the species for more than 30 years. She told The Times she had seen a direct correlation between the intensity of poaching and the percentage of females born without tusks in some of the herds she monitored.

In Gorongosa National Park in Mozambique, 90 per cent of elephants were slaughtered between 1977 and 1992, during the country's civil war. Dr Poole said that because poachers disproportianetly targetted tusked animals, almost half the females over 35 years of age have no tusks, and although poaching is now under control and the population is recovering well, they are passing the tuskless gene down to their daughters: 30 per cent of female elephants born since the end of the war also do not have tusks.

“Females who are tuskless are more likely to produce tuskless offspring,” she said.

The most striking example is in the Addo Elephant National Park in South Africa, where 98 per cent of female elephants have no ivory. Big game hunters there had killed all but 11 elephants by the time the park was created in 1931. Four of the eight surviving females were tuskless.

In 2008, scientists found that even among elephants that remained tusked, the tusks were smaller than in elephants' a century before – roughly half their previous size.

Although not having tusks may protect elephants from poaching, it not ideal.

“Tusks are used to dig for food and water, to dig up trees and branches and move them around, for self-defence and for sexual display," the BBC reported.

“Conservationists say an elephant without tusks is a crippled elephant."

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Re: African elephants are being born without tusks due to poaching

#2 Post by unifoxos » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:40 am

I can't believe that removing tusks can cause a genetic modification of this nature over 'decades'

Certainly seems unlikely - one would have thought many generations would have been needed, but I guess that if the slaughter removed the vast majority of "tusk genes" from the pool over such a short time, as it may well have done, then perhaps it could happen.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:37 am

African elephants' natural life span is slightly less than humans (well, in Africa average life expectancy amongst the savages is much lower than the global norms) at about 65 years. So it would need hundreds of years for genetic mutation to take place, if at all. If my great great great .... grandfather/grandmother had a finger amputated, and if each successive generation also had a finger amputated, would descendants eventually be born minus a digit? I don't think so.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by probes » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:26 am

yep, but if the said great.... had been killed prior to amputating, there'd be no descendants. I've wondered if that's the case with rabbits unable to get out of the car headlights zone - the ones that used to be, that is. Nowadays they can - probably the ones that couldn't had no descendants, so the surviving ones can?

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by izod tester » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:48 am

More detailed examination of the incidence of tuskless elephants at Addo Game Park is at http://sci.waikato.ac.nz/bioblog/2008/08/tuskless-elephants-natural-sel.shtml