Robbery at O R Tambo/Joburg Intl.

#1 Post by ian16th » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:02 am

Its not as bad as it looks!

R24M is only £1.5M at today's exchange rate :-h
Cynicism improves with age

Capetonian

Re: Robbery at O R Tambo/Joburg Intl.

#2 Post by Capetonian » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:32 am

The frightening aspect of this is that it took place within a high security and airside environment, at least as I understand it the robbery took place on the apron.

It may well be that SAPS employees colluded or participated, which sadly bears out what I have long said, that the police are part of the problem when they should be part of the solution.

Even if it turns out that there was no police involvement one has to question how a police vehicle fell into the wrong hands, or if it was a civilian vehicle disguised as police, how it obtained access.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Robbery at O R Tambo/Joburg Intl.

#3 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:35 pm

ian16th wrote:R24M is only £1.5M at today's exchange rate :-h

£1.5M ain't not nuffing.

When I was working at Rand in the early seventies a Comair DC3 used to fly in from Welkom with partially refined gold bars from the mines down there for delivery to the gold refinery at Germiston/Boksburg. There would be two or three pallets of the stuff being off-loaded manually - an ingot per non-reflective, and they looked heavy. There would have been mega-millions of dollars worth back then, all available for the taking - no security visible.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)