Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Only in Effrika

#201 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:24 pm
Woody wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:51 pm
Been here a couple of days and load shedding has become a way of life for locals, when it kicks in every body heads to the nearest coffee shop and logs onto the Wi-Fi for a couple of hours, depending on the level there appears to be two or three breaks per day, one starting at midnight for two hours and then another later in the morning, also for two hours and this evening as a special treat another two hours from 16.00, it’s ok in the summer, but winter could be problematic.
It seems OK here. We are off grid so do not know but friends have not complained. It is usually a fault that causes a power failure.
Botswana is a paragon of order and good government in comparison to the idiocy and corruption of the South African kleptocracy!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#202 Post by Woody » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:07 pm

Botswana is a paragon of order and good government in comparison to the idiocy and corruption of the United Kingdom kleptocracy!
Fixed it for you :)
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#203 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:36 am

We are not without corruption these days with our current President. However we consider it to be the best country to live in Africa. Very stable economically and politically. Good private health care available. Very safe, OK we had a bit of bad luck but the leader was not from here. Very low cost of living. Great climate and probably the best safari destination in the world.

Some great clip[s there TGA.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#204 Post by tango15 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:29 am

A good friend of mine (and former colleague) lives in Ghana. He took early redundancy from Rolls-Royce (Aero Engine Division) and started work some weeks later with their power generation division. He's an old Africa hand and quickly found himself in Ghana. After a few years, he was offered voluntary redundancy (again), and decided to set up a business maintaining their equipment there, since there was no formal arrangement for this. He hired a few locals, but of course, it being Africa, the guys who said they'd done the maintenance, especially in the more remote areas, hadn't, and my mate would get phone calls at 4 am, telling him the generators had broken down. He sacked a few of them and started to do a lot of the work himself, but in the end it became too much for him and he sold the business and retired properly. He likes living there, (mainly for the climate), but he gets on well with the NRs. In fact, he was married to one for a while.

He's held onto his house in the UK, just in case it should all go mammaries up in Ghana, but seems very happy with his life there.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#205 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:38 am

This says it all about the state of governance in ZA; https://www.businessinsider.co.za/every ... ers-2023-2 :(
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#206 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:07 pm

Mrs Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:38 am
This says it all about the state of governance in ZA; https://www.businessinsider.co.za/every ... ers-2023-2 :(
Sums it up... Sweet FA...

Meanwhile back in Limpopo Province (and elsewhere in SA).... ongoing flooding disaster...

Disaster relief in the wake of torrential rains and floods in seven of South Africa’s nine provinces is the latest tasking to be added to the growing list of work assigned to the SA National Defence Force (SANDF).

Soldiers and, according to SANDF Chief General Rudzani Maphwanya, engineers, are assisting Eskom with “rehabilitation” as part of the national state of disaster (SoD) declared around South Africa’s ongoing electricity crisis. The second is humanitarian assistance in the ongoing La Niña weather phenomenon.

A rescue, conducted under the standing Operation Chariot tasking to provide humanitarian assistance during times of natural or other disasters, saw a SA Air Force (SAAF) medium transport helicopter in action over the Letaba River in the Tzaneen area of Limpopo this week.

The rotary-wing aircraft, on the strength of Air Force Base (FB) Swartkop unit, 17 Squadron, safely hoisted two “community residents” from an island in the raging river. They were reportedly stranded there for three days as the river flooded and burst its banks threatening farms, settlements and villages. They were delivered to Tzaneen Clinic and treated for “dehydration and related conditions” after the casevac, with ER24 paramedics assisting.

The Letaba river sortie, according to Brigadier General Andries Mahapa from the SANDF Directorate Corporate Communication (DCC), is standard for Operation Chariot. When the operation is active, it sees various SANDF components working in concert with government agencies and departments at national, provincial and local level as well as the private sector to alleviate disruptions caused by natural events, such as the current La Niña global weather phenomenon with its above normal rainfall.
https://www.defenceweb.co.za/sa-defence ... in-limpopo
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#207 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:13 pm

The government clown cart continues to roll...
President Cyril Ramaphosa’s Boeing Business Jet (BBJ) will be out of action for some time following a hangar incident in Cape Town that damaged its tail.

Initial reports suggested the BBJ (‘Inkwazi’) suffered a bird strike on 6 February while flying to Cape Town to deliver Ramaphosa to the Investing in African Mining Indaba. City Press subsequently reported that the bird strike was suspected to have damaged one of the engines, but more serious damage occurred when the aircraft was towed into a hangar.

The vertical tail of the Boeing 737-7ED hit the top of the hangar, damaging it and rendering the aircraft unserviceable. Armscor has appointed SAA Technical to repair the aircraft, SA National Defence Force Spokesperson Brigadier General Andries Mahapa told City Press.

Human error appears to be the cause of the incident, and it is suspected that the Inkwazi’s length (it is shorter than the more popular Boeing 737-800) confused personnel who misread markings on the hangar floor that indicate where an aircraft should stop when being towed into a hangar.

The Airports Company of South Africa (ACSA) told defenceWeb that the aircraft was towed into the hangar by a ground handler contracted by numerous airlines to perform ground handling services. “ACSA issues license to various ground handlers to operate at our airports. ACSA staff were not involved in the incident,” it clarified.

It seems the Inkwazi has been replaced temporarily by a Bombardier Challenger 604 chartered from Comair Flight Services. This was on 11 February tracked on FlightRadar24 from Cape Town to Johannesburg using the SAAF’s LMG1 callsign, indicating the President was on board (LMG2, for example, indicates a Deputy President flight).

The Presidential Boeing Business Jet, operated by the SA Air Force (SAAF) VIP transport squadron, was grounded in August last year due to non-payment of a Jeppesen subscription fee, meaning the aircraft was not allowed to fly internationally. This apparent oversight saw a South African Airways Airbus A340 chartered to fly Ramaphosa and his retinue to Democratic Republic of Congo for a Southern African Development Community meeting in August. The BBJ was back in action the following month.
https://www.defenceweb.co.za/aerospace/ ... own-mishap

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#208 Post by Woody » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:26 pm

Saw that 737, when we landed at CPT last week, didn’t notice any signs of damage, but there again wasn’t looking for any, I’ll have a better look tonight when we fly back to UK.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#209 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:22 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:07 pm

Meanwhile back in Limpopo Province (and elsewhere in SA).... ongoing flooding disaster...
Crocodile river bridge collapses .JPG
Crocodile river bridge collapses .JPG (39.59 KiB) Viewed 1484 times

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#210 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:59 am

Murder we Vote? Arresting South Africa’s slide into a Failed State Anarchy

The latest South African crime statistics make for grim reading. The Minister of Police, Bheki Cele, announced that in the last three months of last year no fewer than 7,555 people were murdered, 3,144 of them by firearms. To put this in perspective, some 7,199 civilians are believed to have died during the first year of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, a conventional, high-intensity conflict involving indiscriminate missile attacks on blocks of flats and the site of gruesome executions, which has captured global media attention.
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article ... e-anarchy/

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#211 Post by Woody » Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:59 am

This case is particularly troubling.

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... a-20230219

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#212 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:23 pm

A moment of ignominy for the South African Navy and SA as a whole...

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/r ... newsletter
Russian Navy frigate Admiral Gorshkov (pennant number 454) ported briefly in Durban en route to Richards Bay and Exercise Mosi II in what the SA National Defence Force (SANDF) said was “a courtesy visit”.

“As [is] standard practice throughout all navies, courtesy calls to various stakeholders in a foreign port are conducted as a gesture of good relations between countries,” according to South African Defence Corporate Communication (DCC), which added “the gesture was honoured when Admiral Gorshkov visited Durban shores on 17 February and berthed at the Durban harbour”.

The port stop was part of the Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Gorshkov’s replenishment and preparation phase for the tri-nation exercise off South Africa’s eastern coast this week.

While alongside in South Africa’s busiest commercial port, senior officers from Gorshkov, including Officer Commanding, Captain (Navy) Ivan Krohmal and Officer Commanding of Division of missiles of ship, Captain (Navy) Oleg Gladkii, called on harbour master Captain Sabelo Mdlalose.

When she arrived in Cape Town last week, Gorshkov was greeted by Ukrainian protesters and a “you’re not welcome” message from Mayor Geordin Hill-Lewis. The Democratic Alliance (DA) first citizen was not the only member of his party to object to the Russian naval presence. Shadow defence and military veterans minister Kobus Marais went as far as calling the exercise in which China, Russia and South Africa are taking part, “a nonsensical event”.

The exercise, due to run from 17 to 27 February, will see about 350 SA National Defence Force (SANDF) personnel, mostly from the SA Navy (SAN) take part in interoperability of naval systems, joint disaster systems management enhancement, maritime co-operation and anti-piracy exercises. This is according to Defence and Military Veterans Minister Thandi Modise who is also on record as saying the exercise “will benefit all three participating nations”.

The Admiral Gorshkov’s tanker, Kama, arrived in Cape Town on 17 February. She was delayed after rescuing a French yachtsman in the Atlantic. Kama left for Richard’s Bay on 19 February.

China is contributing the guided missile destroyer Huainan, the guided missile frigate Rizhao and the supply ship Kekexilihu to Exercise Mosi II. They form the 42nd Task Force on anti-piracy duty, that sailed from the Gulf of Aden to South Africa after being relieved by the 43rd Task Force. Rizhao arrived in Richards Bay on 19 February, with the other PLAN (Peoples Liberation Army Navy) vessels standing offshore.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#213 Post by Woody » Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:33 pm

Load shedding going nowhere soon :-o
Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter told Monday's briefing that the Stage 6 load shedding will likely last until evening peak on Wednesday, and could drop to Stage 4 on Thursday morning.

He anticipated that it would go even lower by the weekend as more capacity is returned to the grid. As things stood on Monday afternoon, 3 766MW of capacity was out on planned maintenance, there was "huge" full load losses of 12 318MW and partial losses of 5 993MW.

Losses due to coal supply problems was at 2 100MW.

The demand for evening is forecast to be 27 282MW, with a shortfall of 5 834MW of capacity, necessitating Stage 6.

Heavy rains have also prevented coal delivery from the New Vaal Mine to Lethabo power station. Lethabo's three running units are at risk of shutting down if coal supply constraints are not resolved.

Eskom's head of generation Thomas Conradie said at the briefing that if the weather provides a break, the situation at Lethabo can "normalise". "There is a coal stockpile at Lethabo. It is just very wet."

De Ruyter said the utility does not anticipate a jump to Stage 8, but it has contingencies in place.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#214 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:37 pm

Woody wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:59 am

Which part? :-?
Kidnapping, possible rape, and murder?
Or bush justice?

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#215 Post by Woody » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:48 pm

All of the above :-o

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#216 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:29 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:37 pm
Woody wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:59 am

Which part? :-?
Kidnapping, possible rape, and murder?
Or bush justice?

PP
Welcome to Africa folks... a beautiful place where the awful is utterly common place...

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#217 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:36 pm

We were told here by the coppers if you shoot dead an intruder in your house stick a knife in his hand. Didn't need to in our last robbery they all had knives and machetes of their own.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#218 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:07 pm

~X(

Ffs

I'd cry if I wasn't laughing! The South African fleet. :))

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#219 Post by Woody » Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:52 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:07 pm
~X(

Ffs

I'd cry if I wasn't laughing! The South African fleet. :))
Aren’t they all busy playing with Vlads Grey Funnel Line?

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... a-20230222

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#220 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:45 am

Former Eskom CEO Andre de Ruyter said he is leaving South Africa for a while to ensure his safety following an explosive interview exposing crime and corruption at the power utility.

On Wednesday evening, Eskom announced that De Ruyter had left the power utility with immediate effect.

Eskom said the decision followed convening a special Board meeting on 22 February 2023, where it reached a mutual agreement with De Ruyter.

The announcement followed an explosive interview in which De Ruyter exposed widespread crime and corruption at Eskom.

He said there is knowledge and support of corruption at the highest levels of the ruling party and the government.

He slated the ANC, saying the ghosts of Marx and Lenin still haunt the halls of Luthuli House and that they still embarrassingly address each other as comrades.

“When individuals talk to foreign diplomats and investors, the bemusement and confusion with which they leave those meetings create a big problem for South Africa’s credibility,” he said.

De Ruyter also shed light on four criminal cartels in Mpumalanga, which steals around R1 billion a month from Eskom.

The four criminal cartels are sophisticated, well-organised, and even adopted language associated with the Mafia, like captains and soldiers.

“They have a hit squad of between sixty and seventy highly trained and well-armed people. People get assassinated in Mpumalanga,” he said.

The criminal networks have extended their tentacles to many Eskom workers who sabotage and vandalise power stations on their behalf.

De Ruyter said they intensified their efforts to fight crime and corruption and have made some inroads in tackling the problems.

However, by closing the taps on billions in proceeds of crime, he did “not make any friends” and put a target on his back.

De Ruyter recently revealed that there was an attempt on his life in December 2022. Doctors found high cyanide levels in his blood after he felt dizzy and disoriented at the office.

Commenting on the poisoning, he said it is difficult to speculate who was behind the attempt on his life. “There is a pretty long list of people with motive,” he said.

His explosive ENCA interview ruffled the feathers of many powerful people who will put a further target on his back.

Asked whether he is concerned that he may be murdered for speaking out, De Ruyter said he plans to spend time abroad after leaving Eskom.

“I think that will be good for my health,” the former Eskom CEO said.
https://dailyinvestor.com/south-africa/ ... or-safety/

No wonder the ANC and the gangster regime in Russia are so close. Kleptocracies both!