Bush flying Maun Botswana

Nice place if it wasn't for some of the locals
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Bush flying Maun Botswana

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:27 pm

Guys, I am an aviation consultant resident close to Maun. I am pretty close to the situation for recruitment here. I am retired as a pilot and certainly have nothing to do with employment. I just wanted to start this thread for open discussion and sharing of experience in this theatre.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Bush flying Maun Botswana

#2 Post by John Hill » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:07 pm

Hi, is Missionary Aviation Fellowship active in Botswana? I vaguely recall their aircraft in Afghanistan had Botswana registration.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:22 am

John, interesting. I don't think so we converted them all years ago to the point of absolute devotion. Can't hear yourself think on a Sunday for the shouting, singing and dancing in all the makeshift churches.

Bots reg in Afghanistan, we did have a young bush pilot from here who moved there a few years ago and was tragically killed so maybe there is a connection. I will ask when next in town.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:53 am

Ex-Ascot, I flew a few charters for the MAF forty odd years ago. In PNG they were tasked with supplying the missionary out stations with medical supplies and provisions, and were non-denominational. They weren't massively active our side of the mountains - Papua side, but I understand in New Guinea which had a strong Lutheran missionary base, they did quite a lot. Most of their bases were over there - Madang, Lae and Rabaul. Whereas Port Moresby side, they would wet charter aircraft through the SPAC - South Pacific Aero Club as and when needed. Most often it was for the delivery of urgent medical supplies, or to bring someone sick out.

CPL's up there who were employed as such had their hours tightly regulated by the DCA. Operators wouldn't allow them to take on ad-hoc charters as all their flying hours belonged to their employer. People lke myself with commercial licences but employed as engineers had lots of hours available, and were happy to fly for free to build hours. :)

Alison
PS. Eng'ing paid better, but flying was a lot more fun.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:12 am

Most of the Okavango strips accessed from Maun are in pretty good shape and the area is not over endowed with vertical sticky up bits. As bush flying goes it's a good introduction, but nowhere near what you experience in places like the Canadian North, Alaska, PNG, the Andes and some of the dodgier parts of Africa.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Wired

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:46 am

Just had our houseboat buzzed twice by a local charter company. We are in their local practice area. We fequently have PFLs over our house. One of these days we will gain a Caravan when the engine doesn't open up again. The owner of the company we use said the other day that he had flown over on a check ride and hoped that he hadn't disturbed us. I said the lower the better. Took an educated guess as to who the pilot was today (not him). Only a few know where we live. Got it right in one. Said that 100' is not low enough. Guess we will have rubber marks on the boat roof next time. :-o