Another Navy Wings article...

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another Navy Wings article...

#61 Post by FD2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:28 pm

John Eacott has lived in Oz for many years and is active on TOP.

Wedge did very well and was later captain of HMS Ocean.He was always Bob until flying training, when the shape of his head was described as being like a wedge and the name stuck.
The main thing is to take care of the main thing.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 pm

John is one of the few on TOP who uses his real name. He used to do the flying for "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here" and was occasionally on screen. Bushy Shrubb died on 2 August 2018 - David Warren wrote a nice obit:

Commander D.W.Shrubb OBE RN

I was much saddened to hear of the passing of Commander Shrubb. Whilst I was never in a sufficiently lofty position to call him Bushy (well, not to his face) I count myself very fortunate to have served with him in 826 Squadron for my first operational tour in HMS Eagle in 1969. Joining a fully worked up front line squadron about to embark in a fixed wing carrier was a daunting prospect for a brand new acting sub lieutenant, but luckily there were a number of familiar faces to help me settle in.

Bushy, as Senior Pilot, very quickly made it clear that he considered the new boys a vital part of the squadron and, as such, he expected the highest possible standards in all areas, ranging from flying to secondary duties. He had that rare knack of inspiring people to strive for the best without nagging or patronising. As a graduate of the Operational Flying Training course in 737 Squadron at Portland, I thought I had a pretty fair grounding in anti submarine flying. Bushy very quickly dispelled any tendency to overconfidence with a raft of tips and suggestions to improve efficiency and effectiveness as an ASW pilot.

He went to great lengths to ensure that us new boys learned to `fight` the aircraft rather than just deliver the observer and sonar operator to the scene of the action. Away from the flight deck he was always ready to offer advice or guidance on almost any subject, he it was who suggested we visited the Officers` Club in Norfolk, Virginia dressed in our finest lounge suits and polished accents then sat back and watched the invitations flood in. No doubt it helped that Eagle was a very happy ship with the late Sir John Treacher as a charismatic Captain but my memories of that period remain very rosy.

I will always be in Bushy`s debt for the start he gave me on the operational ladder and still find myself passing on many of his bon mots to the next generation of aviators. He will be sorely missed.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:25 am

A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kin you can play jacks. Girls do that with a soft ball and do tricks with it.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:03 am

From this week's Navy Wings update...

SAR
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kin you can play jacks. Girls do that with a soft ball and do tricks with it.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:23 pm

From the SAR article...
....Too many times over the years on various Squadrons one would arrive out of breath in the briefing room to be met by the SP or CO who would declare “I will take this one” forever hunting for an AFC (a medal) i guess.....
....and nothing changed in the civil helicopter world. The best jollies or newsworthy tasks were often taken by out of practice management pilots who could barely remember how to start the cab. Me, bitter? Never! ;)))
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 am

C16, my first boss was at least honest. The old guard didn't like the new ways, the new guys (like me) did.

"I will take all the jollies, those I can't take because I am on a jolly or on leave the rest of you can share."

I benefited from his selflessness by crewing with him on my first ranger to Malta for a week and then a 3 month Det to Malaysia.

Years later, now crewed with a flight commander, he schemed to nab an extended ranger to New Zealand.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:48 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:08 am

Navy Wings auto renewed my contribution this year and while I am perfectly happy with that and delighted to receive a glossy membership card with a rather splendid photograph of a Fairey Swordfish on it, I was less impressed by the fact that the card was attached to the letter by an adhesive that had dried to the sticky constituency of white bubble gum. :))