Another Navy Wings article...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another Navy Wings article...

#281 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:37 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:02 pm
I'll chuck in a Baffin; not sure what happened but I guess it is broken.......................

Pass on the ship but I say it is not a carrier. PS If it is a carrier then he landed a bit short........... :YMPARTY: )

Life on board in those days so relaxed that the right hand matelot had time to demo the hornpipe as he crossed the deck.
You are perfectly aligned Boac, needles crossed on short final and unlikely to crash onto the forecastle of the SS Normandie, like this rather careless Naval Lieutenant did in 1936...

Horsey.JPG
Details of his Court Martial as reported by the press at the time...

s-l1600.jpg

I was too mean to buy the image so just click on, and then enlarge the image, on your screen to read the torrid tale of his trial...

*https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333145350080*
Depressed, feeling a slump, then remember Lift = Coefficient of Lift x 1/2 x ρ x V-squared X S!

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#282 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:13 pm

Some more on Horsey…….. It appears that Horsey had 'form'. The Dundee Courier of 19 September 1935 reported that: (Quote) "'Guy Kennedy Horsey...was charged with having, on June 2, on the Milnathort-Cupar Road, while under the influence of drink, driven a motor car recklessly and at speed and in a manner which was dangerous to the public. Accused pleaded guilty, and Sheriff Umpherson imposed a fine of £10, with the alternative of 30 days' imprisonment.'

However that report does not convey the seriousness of what occurred. Earlier the Dundee Courier of 4 June 1935 had reported that whilst drunk and driving the car, Horsey collided with and killed two young motorcyclists, aged 17 and 18, who were members of the Sauchie Church Parish Boys' Brigade returning from a weekend camp at St Andrews. Horsey was then based at RAF Leuchars.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/162482
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#283 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:38 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:13 pm
Some more on Horsey…….. It appears that Horsey had 'form'. The Dundee Courier of 19 September 1935 reported that: (Quote) "'Guy Kennedy Horsey...was charged with having, on June 2, on the Milnathort-Cupar Road, while under the influence of drink, driven a motor car recklessly and at speed and in a manner which was dangerous to the public. Accused pleaded guilty, and Sheriff Umpherson imposed a fine of £10, with the alternative of 30 days' imprisonment.'

However that report does not convey the seriousness of what occurred. Earlier the Dundee Courier of 4 June 1935 had reported that whilst drunk and driving the car, Horsey collided with and killed two young motorcyclists, aged 17 and 18, who were members of the Sauchie Church Parish Boys' Brigade returning from a weekend camp at St Andrews. Horsey was then based at RAF Leuchars.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/162482
Thanks for posting that aviation-safety.net link C16, which answers all sorts of questions I had running around my head. It appears that Horsey managed to somewhat recover his reputation. The drink driving incident that killed those two poor motorcyclists, would have put him in prison for years if the case had been tried today.
Depressed, feeling a slump, then remember Lift = Coefficient of Lift x 1/2 x ρ x V-squared X S!