If former forum member hawkerj96 is still visiting, please contact admin as we have a new member who wishes to contact you about John Hawke

Another Navy Wings article...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another Navy Wings article...

#581 Post by Woody » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:16 am

FD2 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:33 pm
Membership, Social or just Secretary? Members were warned an interview was coming up. https://www.thegoldfishclub.co.uk/the-g ... -committee
I’ll have to watch it again on iplayer later 👋
When all else fails, read the instructions.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#582 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:52 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:33 pm
Membership, Social or just Secretary? Members were warned an interview was coming up. https://www.thegoldfishclub.co.uk/the-g ... -committee
It was Jason Phillips or to give him his full title, Commander Jason Phillips RN OBE
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#583 Post by FD2 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:17 pm

I think he had the very exciting Sea King hydraulics fire and ditching off the coast near Colltishall?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

More carrier news from Navy Wings

#584 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:04 pm

HMS QElizabeth.JPG
Navy Wings is affiliated with the Queen Elizabeth Class carriers and we are delighted to be able to share an update from Captain Ian Feasey, Commanding Officer HMS Queen Elizabeth on the work carried out by his team. The update highlights the diverse and essential tasks that have been delivered by the ship in the last six months.

Click the button below to be able to read and download his report.

https://eml-peur01.app.blackbaud.net/in ... 85BF0EF2/c
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#585 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:50 pm

Just found out that the Type 23 Frigate HMS Montrose is berthed in Montrose this weekend and is open to pre-booked visitors 1000-1530. I thought it would be good to reaquaint myself with the Wildcat helicopter but all visitor slots are taken :(( . HMS Montrose has been in the Gulf for four years and will be scrapped or sold this Spring. Because of her extended time in the Gulf she has a Port and Starboard crew - Port commanded by a male Commander, and Starboard by a female Commander.
HMS Montrose.jpg
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#586 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:17 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:50 pm
Just found out that the Type 23 Frigate HMS Montrose is berthed in Montrose this weekend and is open to pre-booked visitors 1000-1530. I thought it would be good to reaquaint myself with the Wildcat helicopter but all visitor slots are taken :(( . HMS Montrose has been in the Gulf for four years and will be scrapped or sold this Spring. Because of her extended time in the Gulf she has a Port and Starboard crew - Port commanded by a male Commander, and Starboard by a female Commander.
HMS Montrose.jpg
You are not just some mere visitor C16, surely you can swing a visit through the old boy's (and girl's) network? ;)))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#587 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:50 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:17 pm
You are not just some mere visitor C16, surely you can swing a visit through the old boy's (and girl's) network? ;)))
Yes, if I'd known earlier I could have done something but late on a Friday etc etc.....I might just turn up and wave my Navy Wings membership card at the guys on the gangway. ;)))

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#588 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:02 pm

Approach from oceanside on a lilo looking like a migrant - they'll take you on board and probably feed you too ;)))

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#589 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:34 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:02 pm
Approach from oceanside on a lilo looking like a migrant - they'll take you on board and probably feed you too ;)))
They probably would because the Royal Navy abides by the rules of the sea, doesn't ignore International law, and inculcates a modicum of morality in its officers.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#590 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:04 pm

Those were the days - another fine TUGG cartoon...
cockersp.jpg

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#591 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:50 pm

His Majesty The King presents the Royal Navy with new Colours

https://www.fleetairarmoa.org/news/his ... ew-colours

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#592 Post by OneHungLow » Fri May 05, 2023 5:41 pm

Another evocative shot from the Navy Wings newsletter...

Battle of the Atlantic.JPG

80th Anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic
“The Battle of the Atlantic was the dominating factor all through the war. Never for one moment could we forget that everything happening elsewhere, on land at sea or in the air, depended ultimately on its outcome.” Winston Churchill

The Battle of the Atlantic against the U-boat threat was the hardest fought victory in history and was one in which the Fleet Air Arm played a crucial role. Without the protection provided by the Fleet Air Arm many of the convoys would never have reached the British Isles with their vital supplies – ultimately enabling the Allies to launch the invasion of Europe
https://navywings.org.uk/home/about-us/ ... 42b2958128
The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#593 Post by OneHungLow » Thu May 25, 2023 12:31 pm

Noticed in an e-mail from Navy Wings and wondered if the two FAA stalwarts FD2 and C16 are going to become involved?
FAA voices to be heard. A request for first-hand accounts - 1960 to 1990

As I am sure you are aware, we are working extremely hard to gather all the material we need to complete the first ever film documentary covering the entire history of the Fleet Air Arm from its earliest pre WW1 roots.

Since our last bulletin, we have been very busy organising location shooting with the Royal Navy and interviewing some of our senior veterans. We now have some amazing testimony from as early as 1939 'in the can'.

We will be embarking in one of His Majesty’s ships in June for some sea time and filming in the FAA’s natural habitat. We hope to not only capture the unique working environment of flying at sea but show how that environment develops a special bond among those involved.

Could your personal testimony make a valuable contribution?
We are working through the years in phases and now need to move onto those who served more recently.

If you think you have something to contribute, small or large, and served between 1960 and 1990, please click the link below and complete the simple form.

It is vital that we hear from all branches, Pussers to Pinkies, Bombheads to Badgers, Met to Mech and Handlers to Aircrewmen.

FAA Film Contribution Form
Help us bring the powerful history of the Forgotten Air Arm onto a global stage.

First hand testimony is central to the Fleet Air Arm Story.
Please contribute if you can and circulate this request to your veteran network.

Many thanks for your ongoing support.
https://navywings.us20.list-manage.com/ ... 42b2958128

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#594 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu May 25, 2023 4:17 pm

OneHungLow wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:31 pm
Noticed in an e-mail from Navy Wings and wondered if the two FAA stalwarts FD2 and C16 are going to become involved?
My time in the FAA was truly unremarkable and what little bits of excitement I was involved in have previously been recorded by others who were also there. I did think about what I could contribute but really there is nothing new.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#595 Post by FD2 » Thu May 25, 2023 8:32 pm

Likewise. I hope there will be plenty of wildly exciting 'Flight Deck Yarns' of the 'Stovie's' "there I was at X,000ft" stories. An account of some much less exciting things that happened to me are in one of them already.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#596 Post by OneHungLow » Fri May 26, 2023 5:17 pm

I suspect the two aforementioned posters, decent chaps that they are, are too self-effacing, as both have clearly lived adventurous lives, and all 'stum und drang' aside, it is sometimes that which might seem like the banal details to the cognoscenti, that makes documentaries like this fascinating to the average viewer like me.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#597 Post by FD2 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:13 pm

The Battle of the Atlantic commemorations in Liverpool. Some great photos of the Swordfish and Seafire taking part. My mother would have loved to see this - she was a wren in HMS Wellesley, the barracks in Liverpool during the War - where she met my father.

Swordfish and Liver Bird.jpg
Swordfish and Liver Bird.jpg (101.56 KiB) Viewed 1690 times

Seafire over Mersey.jpg
Seafire over Mersey.jpg (95.01 KiB) Viewed 1690 times

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#598 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:20 pm

Some nice photos from the English Riviera Air Show, at Torbay
Navy Wings played a major role in the English Riviera Air Show last weekend as we displayed the Swordfish, Seafire, Wasp and Harvard to huge crowds on the south coast.

Navy Wings Chief Pilot, Andy Davis, said, “We were lucky with the superb weather which resulted in large crowds on the beaches enjoying themselves on a beautiful weekend. This air show was the debut of Swordfish and Wasp combined display, designed to contrast the old and the ‘newer’ antisubmarine assets in a unique formation. Overall the air show ran very well with Navy Wings receiving lots of positive feedback especially regarding this innovative display.”
Navy Wings 1.JPG
Navy Wings 1.JPG (36.06 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
NavyWings 2.JPG
NavyWings 2.JPG (38.99 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Navy Wings3.JPG

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#599 Post by OneHungLow » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:10 pm

No more Bond's Boy books, but not the last of books I'll be bound! From the Navy Wings NewsLetter.
Fleet Air Arm Boys Book Launch

Last Saturday witnessed a marvellous gathering of Fleet Air Arm veterans at the launch of the fourth volume in Steve and Heather Bond's remarkable Fleet Air Arm Boys series.

Eleven veterans, of all ranks and from a variety of disciplines, took up their pens and signed copies of the book.

This is the final book in the series and, in recognition of their achievement in bringing the history of the Fleet Air Arm to public attention, Steve and Heather were presented with an engraved Swordfish piston from Navy Wings on behalf of the FAA community and a book of thanks and good wishes signed by many FAA veterans.

Bond.JPG
Bond.JPG (70.17 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Although a book launch and signing event, it was also a marvellous reunion, with many veterans meeting old comrades that they hadn't seen for years.

Our thanks to the management and staff of the Fleet Air Arm museum for their support.

Although this is the last in the FAAB series, Steve and Heather are already working on their next project - Flying with the Navy - the history of the Royal Naval Air Service and Fleet Air Arm told primarily by stunning photographs, many previously unseen by the public.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#600 Post by OneHungLow » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:13 am

Another great photograph from this week's Navy Wings News Letter

For all I know they could be dynamiting fish, but no doubt the FAA chaps here will explain about sonobuoys and other arcane stuff. :)

FAA20230630.JPG
FAA20230630.JPG (97.77 KiB) Viewed 1315 times