Sea Harrier 40

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Sea Harrier 40

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:07 pm

A dinner to celebrate 40 years since the entry of the Sea Harrier into service was held in London on 7 November and raised £80,000 to support the Navy Wings charity in its work of restoring and flying historic naval aircraft. Actor and Navy Wings Ambassador Chris Barrie - Rimmer in Red Dwarf - was the narrator of a 6 minute Navy Wings Sea Harrier 40 film which was shown on the night.

It's unashamedly pro Navy but I hope light blue ex-Harrier members will still enjoy it!

Also here's a page from the Navy Wings website with photos of the evening.
Sea Harrier 40 dinner photos
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Sea Harrier 40

#2 Post by Boac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:20 am

Thanks, C16 - I did.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:26 am

SHAR with Lt Cdr Eisnau (sic) won our bombing competition with an aggregate score of well under 100 feet. The Harrier Conversion Unit won the team effort. 2001.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:20 am

Great clip C16. Two pertinent points regarding this thread. I went through fast jet training with the first two Sea Harrier pilots. One, who nearly failed the weapons course, was highly decorated in the Falklands War. Point two I was at school with the writers of Red Dwarf, Rob Grant and Douglas Naylor. They named most of the characters after school mates.
The creators of the series acknowledge that Rimmer's surname comes from a snobby prefect with whom they attended school. They joke that only the boy's name was used, and not his personality because that would imply he had one
I watched quite a few of the series and thought it was a bit odd that Todhunter was Rimmer's best mate at school. Because he was. Then I once watched the credits and saw who the writers were. One wrote to their agent about this. One got a lawyer's letter back saying that it was only the name not the character that was used. Enclosed was an autographed Red Dwarf book.

Mrs Ex-Ascot says that it is me.

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:15 am

Had a prefect at my school called Horst Goering. As one might imagine he was a total bastard, just like his namesake.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."