Another Navy Wings article...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another Navy Wings article...

#141 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:21 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:58 pm
Both engines failed shortly after take-off.

I wonder why?
I am not sure... More detail about the restoration here.

https://www.apres.org.uk/feature/the-peoples-mosquito/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#142 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:34 pm

G-CPTN wrote:

I wonder why?
Just how thorough do y'all think a wartime BoI be?
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#143 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:42 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:34 pm
G-CPTN wrote:

I wonder why?
Just how thorough do y'all think a wartime BoI be?
I imagine a wartime board of inquiry might have been somewhat cursory but this accident occurred in 1949 and apparently technical changes were recommended to the Merlin 113/114 engines as a result. What those changes were I haven't a clue.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov. ... r/C3310080
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#144 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:04 pm

:ymblushing: Sorry, I somehow read it as during WWII.

Both donks stopping, means start by looking very carefully at fuel system.

As in the Abingdon Beverley c1956-7.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#145 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:31 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:04 pm
:ymblushing: Sorry, I somehow read it as during WWII.

Both donks stopping, means start by looking very carefully at fuel system.

As in the Abingdon Beverley c1956-7.
ian16th your insightful comment about the Merlin 113/114 engines and fuel reminded me that they were upgraded to work with 150 octane fuel. I wonder if this could have had something to do with this accident?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#146 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:16 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:31 pm
ian16th your insightful comment about the Merlin 113/114 engines and fuel reminded me that they were upgraded to work with 150 octane fuel. I wonder if this could have had something to do with this accident?
I didn't mention Merlins and fuel!

The Beverley incident I referred to was none return valves fitted the wrong way. The incident made big news because a lot of Police Dogs, destined for Akrotiri, were killed!

The next Beverley to carry Police Dogs, was the one that I was on, for the leg Abingdon to Istres.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#147 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:30 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:16 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:31 pm
I didn't mention Merlins and fuel!

The Beverley incident I referred to was none return valves fitted the wrong way. The incident made big news because a lot of Police Dogs, destined for Akrotiri, were killed!

The next Beverley to carry Police Dogs, was the one that I was on, for the leg Abingdon to Istres.
Yes, you didn't! Your insight was a possible fuel system problem. Where did that notion come from? Ah yes, it was your mention of fuel systems that triggered a memory of reading about the octane upgrade for the Merlin 113/114 engines, read by me in the dim distant past. The Beverley non-return fuel valve fitting sounds like an unfortunate mistake to make. Sad ending for the puppy hounds. :-s

More than dogs. A major accident... :(
Total fatalities: 20
Circumstances: The aircraft departed RAF Abingdon at 1042LT bound for RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus. It was carrying cargo, a relief crew, eight RAF police dog handlers and eight police dogs. There was low cloud at 500 feet (150 m), visibility was less than 1,000 feet (300 m), and an easterly wind of 10 knots (19 km/h). As the aircraft climbed, the engine number one developed a fuel leak. The flight crew responded by shutting down the engine and feathering its propeller. The flight crew declared an emergency and requested a blind approach to RAF Abingdon. The controller alerted emergency services on the ground. A short time later, cockpit instruments alerted the flight crew to a large loss of fuel from No. 2 fuel tank, the second of four such tanks in the port wing. In an effort to stop the leak, the crew de-activated the fuel cocks and boosters for the No. 2 tank, but left them on for the No. 1 tank. As the Beverley turned on to final approach for RAF Abingdon the crew attempted to increase power from the remaining three Bristol Centaurus engines but No. 2 engine – also on the port wing – failed to respond and the aircraft began to lose speed and height. Knowing he could not reach the airfield, the captain tried to land in a field. However, the aircraft became uncontrollable and struck a number of high tension cables and a group of elm trees that tore the port wing from the fuselage. On impact with the ground, the aircraft destroyed a caravan and a prefabricated house before somersaulting and crashing upside down. Eighteen occupants were killed, among them three crew members, and two people on the ground.

Probable cause: A Board of Inquiry investigated the crash and found it was caused by loss of power from Nos. 1 and 2 engines, both mounted on the port wing. George Ward told the House of Commons that "the four fuel tanks on the port side of the Beverley feed into a collector box from which the two port engines are fed. From the available evidence, including inspections of part of the aircraft's fuel system, it is clear that a non-return valve between No. 1 (port) tank and the collector box had been fitted in reverse and that the fuel supply from Nos. 3 and 4 (port) tanks were switched off throughout the flight." Ward continued, saying that the loss of power from No. 1 was caused by it being shut down as a precautionary measure, and the fuel starvation to No. 2 engine was caused by an incorrectly fitted non-return valve in the supply line from No. 1 fuel tank. No. 2 fuel tank had been isolated and two smaller fuel tanks in the port wing had not been selected during the flight. The tradesman who had fitted the valve, and his supervisor, were prosecuted and charged, and the technician was court-martialled for negligence and punished with a reprimand. The Board also noted that some fuel was available from two smaller tanks but they were not used during the flight, and that the captain "must bear some responsibility" for not using those tanks. Ward said, however, that "owing to the nature of the flight the amount of fuel in the two smaller tanks was not large, and it can only be assumed that the captain had no reason to believe that both port engines would not operate satisfactorily off the two main port tanks individually." The captain was killed in the accident and no allegations were brought against him or any of his crew.
https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/crash-b ... -20-killed
Beverley crash Abingdon.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#148 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:21 pm

Avgas presents interesting problems with historics. We had a civi Auster at our Air Show in 1987. He was only a PPL so could not be paid and we didn't have a slot for him. In the event there were a few minutes and we got him up off the grass for a circuit or two.
The fuel problem was the fuel fit for the Lancaster was too high an octane. We had to run him to the local petrol station for a Jerry can of 2*.
Another historic was the Shackleton. I am not sure the grade but I think 130. After a Dutch refinery I think stopped refining it the only source was Venezuela, not exactly friendly with HMG. We crossed our fingers that they would refuse to supply it but they did and we had to soldier on.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#149 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:29 pm

Purple
Green
Blue
Red

I don't think you can get anything but Blue these days. :-?

PP

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#150 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:12 pm

Sea Fury to Beverley, we are back with the Bristol Centaurus!

From my very fallible memory, I believe the non-return valves were re-engineered so that they couldn't be fitted the wrong way round.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#151 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:28 pm

News from Navy Wings...
Thursday 29 April

Firstly, and most importantly, one member of the aircrew has now been released home and the other aircrew member remained in hospital overnight as a precaution and will be released once Doctors are content. Both have been in contact with and seen by Navy Wings staff.

The site has been secured and visited by various agencies and once the AAIB have been on site tomorrow we will look to recover the aircraft. Plans are underway for that recovery.

We will be putting statements out on the website as we move through the various stages of recovery to keep you all informed.
https://navywings.org.uk/sea-fury-t-20-update/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#152 Post by FD2 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:34 pm

The bit known technically as the 'front end' in more detail:

The Front end.png

Good to hear the crew are OK.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Official Navy Wings Comment on Sea Fury Accident

#153 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:43 pm

Pilots Unhurt after Skilful Handling of Emergency Landing

Navy Wings Hawker Sea Fury T20 G-RNHF (VX281) was forced to conduct an emergency landing in a field close to RNAS Yeovilton earlier this week following a problem with the engine. Both pilots escaped injury but unfortunately the aircraft has been severely damaged.

The Sea Fury, which was on a routine training flight, suffered a significant drop in engine oil pressure shortly after taking-off and climbing away from the airfield. The pilots, both highly experienced former naval pilots, immediately carried out the appropriate drills and transmitted a PAN call.

They turned back and lined themselves up perfectly up for a precautionary landing on Runway 04. However, shortly before reaching the runway on close finals, the engine stopped, changing the speed and angle of glide of the approach dramatically, and they were forced to put the aircraft straight down into a field just outside the airfield boundary.

“The pilots’ skilful execution of an extremely hazardous situation was exemplary,” said Commodore Jock Alexander CEO of the Charity.

“We are all extremely relieved that they are safe and well. RNAS Yeovilton Air Traffic Control reacted immediately, and the Emergency Fire and Medical Services were very quickly on the scene. The support of the Air Station has been outstanding.”

The aircraft wings and engine detached during the impact and the fuselage rolled upside down but both pilots were able to escape unaided. They were taken to Yeovil hospital as a precautionary measure, and one was retained overnight for observation.

The Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) and the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) have been informed and investigations have begun into the causes of the accident.

“The Sea Fury is a classic and much-loved Fleet Air Arm aircraft, and the accident has been a shock to everyone in the Navy Wings community,” said Jock Alexander. “It is too early to say whether it is feasible to rebuild her and if she will ever fly again.”

The Charity’s Chief Engineer Jim Norris said “Great skill and calm was shown by everyone in the post-crash management team. We are grateful for the overwhelming support we have received. The aircraft will be recovered to the Navy Wings Heritage Hangar for the investigation.”

Although the Sea Fury T20 has been a favourite on the air show circuit, Navy Wings has worked hard in recent years to build greater resilience into the flying collection so that when the unexpected happens the Charity always has other aircraft that can continue to display to the public.

The Navy Wings collection also includes a Sea Fury single seat FB11, two Fairey Swordfish, the Sea Fury’s successor, a Sea Hawk and a growing number of other heritage aircraft, allowing these wonderful examples of our national aviation heritage to operate in the skies of the UK for many years to come.
Photographs here
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#154 Post by Boac » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:48 pm

'Kin lucky there was no fire!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: More Sea Fury stuff

#155 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:58 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:16 am
In this most recent accident they were very lucky that a fire didn't break out.
Boac wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:48 pm
'Kin lucky there was no fire!

We are ad idem Sir! :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#156 Post by Boac » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:34 pm

Absolutely, Sir - my apologies - I didn't scroll back far enough!

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#157 Post by FD2 » Mon May 03, 2021 8:27 pm

Follow up to the local NZ tent pegging. A practice engine failure.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/ ... e-practice

And back to the this topic:
Screenshot_2021-05-04 Sea Fury T 20 VX281 Update - Navy Wings(3).png
Screenshot_2021-05-04 Sea Fury T 20 VX281 Update - Navy Wings(3).png (94.64 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Screenshot_2021-05-04 Sea Fury T 20 VX281 Update - Navy Wings(2).png
Screenshot_2021-05-04 Sea Fury T 20 VX281 Update - Navy Wings(2).png (203.59 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Screenshot_2021-05-04 Sea Fury T 20 VX281 Update - Navy Wings(1).png
Screenshot_2021-05-04 Sea Fury T 20 VX281 Update - Navy Wings(1).png (200.2 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Screenshot_2021-05-03 Sea Fury T 20 VX281 Update.png
Screenshot_2021-05-03 Sea Fury T 20 VX281 Update.png (486.74 KiB) Viewed 309 times

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#158 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon May 03, 2021 8:37 pm

FD2:
What was the aircraft type in the training accident?

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#159 Post by G-CPTN » Mon May 03, 2021 9:07 pm

They were, indeed, lucky to escape without serious injuries.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#160 Post by FD2 » Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 pm

pp -

From the Civil Register here, ZK-RGB:

Screenshot_2021-05-04 Aircraft register search aviation govt nz.png