CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another Navy Wings article...

#41 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:12 am

FD2 wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:32 pm
....Remember Joe Bartosik?....
Fortunately I never knew him! I arrived at Culdrose in early '64 just after Bartosik left there and Chico Roberts had taken over as Captain.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:30 am

I see that the Captain Bligh that C16 notes above, once confined his second in command to his quarters, under arrest, which didn't stop his subordinate from going on to captain the first British Polaris nuclear submarine...

“Give us the will, but never the wish, to obey the order to fire. But O Lord, if it be thy will, grant that order may never need to be given.” - ‘Prayer for Polaris’, written by Capt Mike Henry, first CO HMS Resolution
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:48 am

Bartosik would appear to confirm the Peter principle.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:30 am

Boac wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:48 am
Bartosik would appear to confirm the Peter principle.
Surely that would have been the Piotr principle in Bartosik's case! :)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#45 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:37 am

:YMAPPLAUSE: Peter, of course, was Canadian, so possibly Le principe Pierre?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#46 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat May 02, 2020 8:09 am

Another one from Navy Wings. I am also a Duxford Supporter and must say that they are not half as active as the Navy folk in drumming up enthusiasm and support. As ever, consider donating or becoming a supporter...

Swordfish Dead Stick Landing by John Beattie

Swordfish 1.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#47 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri May 15, 2020 12:53 pm

Another day another excellent article from Navy Wings...

Malcolm Smith joined the Royal Navy as an Artificer Apprentice in 1956 and is the Editor of Jabberwock, the quarterly magazine of the Society of Friends of the Fleet Air Arm Museum (SOFFAAM) and has inherited the complete archive of editions dating back to the formation of the Society in 1979. In browsing through these, he realised that they provided a unique archive of reminiscence of the men and women who served in, or have been associated with, the Fleet Air Arm since its formation in 1924. His book: “Voices in Flight – the Fleet Air Arm” which can be purchased in our Flight Store, consists entirely of anecdotes from this archive.

How I shot myself down - https://navywings.org.uk/portfolio/how- ... self-down/

91244994_2622579038011074_7352580034718072832_n.jpg
91244994_2622579038011074_7352580034718072832_n.jpg (23.66 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#48 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu May 21, 2020 11:21 am

Prompted by that last Navy Wings article I purchased the following book which I am still reading.
Voices in Flight.JPG
Voices in Flight.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 1863 times
https://navywingsflightstore.org/produc ... o-cold-war

Highly recommended and all profits go to keeping the FAA aircraft in the care of the Fly Navy Heritage Trust flying.

https://navywings.org.uk/home/about-us/our-aircraft/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#49 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu May 21, 2020 3:30 pm

Apropos the exciting things one can learn from the exciting book noted above...

What was was the first British landplane specifically designed for carrier operations?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#50 Post by ian16th » Thu May 21, 2020 8:18 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:30 pm

What was was the first British landplane specifically designed for carrier operations?
Blackburn Buccaneer?
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#51 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu May 21, 2020 8:24 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:18 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 3:30 pm

Blackburn Buccaneer?
You know Ian that was my answer but behold...

Twas the Sopwith Cuckoo

And, the first man to land on deck of a carrier was a South African in a Sopwith Pup...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... d-40791496

Eward Harris Dunning
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#52 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri May 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Another tale from the Navy Wings folks...

Although it all turned out OK in the end, Henry Mitchell’s crash of a Sea Harrier in Monmouthshire in May 1991 wasn’t quite as cut and dried as reported in the press. What transpired was a particular conspiration of events that led to much confusion around who had crashed that day and how. Until now, this story has only been told in bars around the bazaars whenever old Sea Harrier mates get together…let me explain.

On that fateful day in May, five Sea Harriers of 801 squadron were planned to take part in a low-level Simulated Attack Profile (SAP) on targets in Wales and Herefordshire. The attack element was led by Clive Baylis with Henry as his #2 and Paul Simmonds Short (or SS for short) as his #3. I was to lead a pair of Sea Harriers designated as the ‘bounce’ which meant we would act as enemy air defence and try to shoot down the 3 Sea Harriers conducting the attack.

SAPs are a tricky proposition…flying at 250 feet above the ground at 420 knots is hard work at the best of times but if throw into the mix another aircraft trying to shoot you down whilst you’re at it, the pressure quickly mounts to make this one of the hardest evolutions a fast jet multi-role pilot can undertake... <<read on>>

Henry Mitchell’s crash of a Sea Harrier in Monmouthshire in May 1991
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#53 Post by ian16th » Fri May 29, 2020 2:17 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 1:59 pm
Another tale from the Navy Wings folks...

Although it all turned out OK in the end, Henry Mitchell’s crash of a Sea Harrier in Monmouthshire in May 1991 wasn’t quite as cut and dried as reported in the press. What transpired was a particular conspiration of events that led to much confusion around who had crashed that day and how. Until now, this story has only been told in bars around the bazaars whenever old Sea Harrier mates get together…let me explain.

On that fateful day in May, five Sea Harriers of 801 squadron were planned to take part in a low-level Simulated Attack Profile (SAP) on targets in Wales and Herefordshire. The attack element was led by Clive Baylis with Henry as his #2 and Paul Simmonds Short (or SS for short) as his #3. I was to lead a pair of Sea Harriers designated as the ‘bounce’ which meant we would act as enemy air defence and try to shoot down the 3 Sea Harriers conducting the attack.

SAPs are a tricky proposition…flying at 250 feet above the ground at 420 knots is hard work at the best of times but if throw into the mix another aircraft trying to shoot you down whilst you’re at it, the pressure quickly mounts to make this one of the hardest evolutions a fast jet multi-role pilot can undertake... <<read on>>

Henry Mitchell’s crash of a Sea Harrier in Monmouthshire in May 1991
Any info on just where this happened?

I used to reside close to the Hereford/Monmouth border.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#54 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri May 29, 2020 2:22 pm

ian16th wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 2:17 pm

Any info on just where this happened?

I used to reside close to the Hereford/Monmouth border.
Cdr Henry Mitchell ejected from his Royal Navy Sea Harrier over Wentwood Forest near Llanvair Discoed, Monmouthshire, in May 1991.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51558730
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#55 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri May 29, 2020 2:23 pm

It happened at Wentwood Forest near Llanvair Discoed, Monmouthshire.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51558730
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#56 Post by Boac » Fri May 29, 2020 2:28 pm

.....and SS pitched up at Gatwick on 737s.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#57 Post by ian16th » Fri May 29, 2020 2:36 pm

Quite close to Llanwern Steel Works, they were a customer of mine!

There was a pub just to the north of the works, did a very good faggot & peas at lunchtime!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#58 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:19 pm

Another excellent article...

https://navywings.org.uk/portfolio/nigh ... perations/

One has to take one's hat off to these carrier pilots....
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#59 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:16 pm

Another amusing tale from Navy Wings...
Most close shaves in the Fleet Air Arm concern pure aviation. Sometimes they involve personal failings and errors of a social kind. This is one such tale. It was all routine really. We had disembarked the 824 Seaking Squadron from HMS ARK ROYAL to CULDROSE in December 1972 after the standard autumn exercises off Norway. Most of the aircraft were receiving some much needed attention and flying was limited. John Eacott (Eacs) and I both were due Instrument Rating renewals so our kindly Senior Pilot, Malarkey Jim put us on the Flypro for a mutual IF sortie. We knew that the weather was coming in from the west, but would arrive about an hour after our charlie time . We had plenty of fuel, but being a purely Pilot IF training sortie we carried neither an Observer nor an Aircrewman. All was well until our controller informed us of a lowering cloud base at Culdrose so we opted for an early GCA. The routine then was that one Pilot would fly the GCA on Instruments down to breaking the cloud base, whereupon the non flying, – heads up pilot with the visual references would take over and land. All SOP so far, and Eacs flew a steady GCA most of the way down under the guidance of a trainee controller. About half a mile from the threshold, the controller’s patter broke down somewhat, particularly on height information, so Eacs quite correctly aborted the approach and carried out the overshoot procedure. Shortly afterwards, the controller’s Instructor came on the radio and told us that the cloud was now virtually on the deck and that we were to divert to RAF St Mawgan. Now it was my turn to fly the GCA , and we had a good talk down. On runway 30 at St Mawgan, the decision height was 200 feet and as we approached that point on the glide path and centreline I was expecting Eacs to call visual and take control . That did not happen, so again I pulled in power and initiated the overshoot. As I did so, something outside the cockpit caught my eye, and in a moment I realised we were fully visual with the runway with a cloud base of about 350 feet. A second later we were back in the cloud and going round for another go. I was confused as to why Eacs had not taken control towards the end of the GCA but although we had plenty of fuel to divert to YEOVILTON we needed to get down at St Mawgan. So Eacs flew the GCA I took over at 300 feet and we landed. Having debriefed Splot, he told us to return to CULDROSE the next morning , so we eased off to the Officers’ Mess for the night. The team there was most welcoming, and although we were still in goon suits, we were allowed into the Bar and Dining Room. Over a beer I asked Eacs to explain why he had not taken over and landed after our first GCA at St Mawgan when it was obvious that we were in clear air and well below cloud. Although he was a well known Lothario in Squadron social circles, Eacs reply still caught me by surprise. He confessed that his girlfriend of the moment had his car at Yeovilton, and an opportunity to pick it up had presented itself if we could fly there on our second diversion!! The evening grew jolly. Eacs and I having been trained in the Wardroom of ARK won at Spoof, Liar Dice and Horse. We then played the St Mawgan game of “footprints on the ceiling” We excelled once more, with our Pussers flying boot marks proudly displayed on high. It was at this point, that things started to go wrong. Our generous hosts showed us to an artistic feature just outside the entrance to the Mess. There was a splendid pool, complete with orchids, lilies and goldfish backed by a tiled wall with a cascading waterfall over the top and draining into the pool. We were told that no one had ever been able to leap over the pool, grasp the top of the wall and against the flow haul themselves over the top to the other side. Eacs and I were of course up to the challenge but despite several noble efforts found that our fingers could not hold their grip on the slippery top of the wall. We both fell backwards without ceremony into the pool, much to the delight of our hosts. There was little pain as, of course, we both still had our goon suits on!! Festivities then drew to a close, so we repaired to our cabins. On the way, we smugly hung our goon bags in the drying room and after a busy day, crashed out. The next morning did not start well. I picked up my goon bag and stepped in, only to find that I was up to my kees in water. Yes, the zip had been undone all the previous evening. However, the wiser Eacs had hung his bag upside down so was already a step ahead. After a fine breakfast we opened the Airfield at 0900 and flew back to Culdrose and back into routine. As the Squadron Staff Officer, I went into the Office to check in with our Leading Writer. As usual, Scribes was in control, the Boss, Bushy Shrub was away at a FONAC meeting and on the run up to Christmas, things were winding down. As I opened the first buff file, the phone rang and Scribes picked it up. “Yes Sir! St Mawgan, I know it, RAF place up the road in North Cornwall ” Yes Sir, no, the CO is away today but the Squadron Staff Officer is here”. Two things rushed through my mind. First, I sensed trouble and secondly I had better be the first to establish its form. I signalled frantically to Scribes and he handed me the phone. For those who are not familiar with the set up, Squadron Staff Officer is low in the food chain of FAA Squadron jobs, in amongst Stats, Sports Officer and Record Book Officer. However, in the RAF the title Staff Officer normally means an experienced and more senior person . I therefore opened the conversation by introducing myself by title with as much authority and confidence as I could muster. Wing Commander Ops then briefed me abruptly and tersely on the disgraceful behaviour of 2 824 Squadron Officers in the Mess the previous evening. I agreed with him that the destruction of the flowers and killing of several goldfish was indeed totally unacceptable and assured him that in the absence of the CO I would investigate the incident and take the necessary disciplinary action. I further requested that the Mess Manager, phone me as soon as possible with a financial estimate of the damage. On hanging up. I briefed Scribes that no names were to be released but to expect a further call from St Mawgan, in which case I was to be the only person taking it. Eacs now needed to be in the loop. He was loafing in the crew room having just won his 3rd game of Ace Deuce, the crew room game of the day. I told him of the phone call and we agreed that we could discretely salvage the problem. Back in the Staff Office I drafted 2 letters. The first to the Mess Manager, which both apologised for the behaviour of the 824 aircrew and ended with the line that the Cheque in recompense was enclosed. The second, to Wing Cdr Ops, explained the liaison with the Mess Manager and the robust disciplinary action being taken with the aircrew concerned. Just as this was done, the phone rang and following my conversation with the Mess Manager, I knew that the damage was a total of £80. That was a lot of money in those days, but Eacs and I were happy to pay up and the Squadron Social Sec laundered the cash through his account, wrote the cheque and thus kept our names off the paperwork. Those letters, , typed up beautifully by the amused Scribes, and signed by a scruffy and illegible signature (mine) underwritten with Staff Officer, 824 Naval Air Squadron For Commanding Officer, Absent on Duty were then despatched. No more was ever heard. We embarked again in ARK ROYAL in January after a richly deserved break heading for the Mediterranean and more adventures of both aviation and of a social kind. Work hard, play hard, be professional, have fun. It has always been the case in the Fleet Air Arm and for Eacs and myself, indeed a close shave.
Captain Rob (Wedge) Turner
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#60 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:16 pm

An relevant snippet regarding RAF-RN liason and the bar. The Ward Rooms were perfectly happy to accept our home base bar numbers on their bar chits. It was a 50-50 if the bill ever appeared on our mess bills.

In contrast RAF messes usually tried to get cash on departure though bills for mattresses were usually sent to the ship concerned via FOS.