Another Navy Wings article...

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another Navy Wings article...

#441 Post by FD2 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:10 pm

One who liked to explore the envelope perhaps!

The dark blue side was a good selection of backgrounds - three from Buccaneers, two from Vixens, the rest Gannets. My instructor, Flt Lt Ron Pavely was ex-Canberras, if memory serves correctly.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#442 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:43 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:10 pm
One who liked to explore the envelope perhaps!

The dark blue side was a good selection of backgrounds - three from Buccaneers, two from Vixens, the rest Gannets. My instructor, Flt Lt Ron Pavely was ex-Canberras, if memory serves correctly.
^:)^
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#443 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:24 pm

Pete was quite a character! I experienced my one and only catapult launch with him driving the COD Gannet on Ark. He crossed the bar some years ago - medical, not a hole in the ground!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#444 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:31 pm

Worked with a Sea Vixen Looker on the Tornado OCU. He was a civvy by then, teaching in the groundschool so he could look after his ailing mum who lived nearby. Great guy. A quarter of his Sea Vixen course crashed and died, on the course! - hard times back then.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#445 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:58 am

This week's Navy Wings newsletter has just come thumped onto the metaphorical carpet here...
SEA KING ARRIVES

Last winter we looked after the Historic Helicopters' Sea King. They have asked us again this year if we can store her to free up space in their hangar so that they can carry out their winter maintenance.

SeaKIng.JPG
We gladly accepted and she is in safe hands tucked up for winter with her new friends!

https://www.historichelicopters.com/
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#446 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:15 pm

More from Navy WIngs...
The building and flight of a replica of the UK’s first successful seaplane is receiving accolades and national awards from the world of aviation.

After 12 years of development, Waterbird’s replica took off from the lake in private trials in June 2022. Then, in September, it made several short flights in front of an enthralled crowd of hundreds of spectators on Rawlinson Nab.

The team behind the Waterbird (a Navy Wings Associate aircraft) have pledged to return to Windermere, in the Lake District, for more flights and hope to create a heritage centre to mark the key part the lake played in the history of seaplanes.

The flights were the culmination of 12-years dedication by the team, which is now being recognised with awards.

So far, the Lakes Flying Company, the charity behind the project, has won:

• The Bremont Special Recognition Award from the National Transport Trust;
• The Robert Pleming Memorial Award for Innovation from Aviation Heritage UK, which commemorates the inspirational chief executive of the Vulcan to the Sky charity, who died in January 2021; and
• The Desmond Penrose Silver Salver for vintage aeroplane of the year from the Vintage Aircraft Club, which commemorates a Royal Aircraft Establishment test pilot.

Ian Gee, Chairman of the Lakes Flying Company, said, "The awards reflect the tremendous work carried out by the Waterbird team to reach the goal of public flights at Windermere. We are already planning to return next year, this time in the northern part of the lake.”

A documentary on the Waterbird project can be found on demand on the More4 channel and accessed via the link below.

Channel 4 documentary
Sea Plane.JPG
https://cumbriacrack.com/2022/11/29/tv- ... -seaplane/

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#447 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:00 am

Nice short of a Harrier in this weeks Navy Wings article...

RNHarrier.JPG

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#448 Post by FD2 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:43 am

I expect that some of the people in the Goofers Gallery will need hearing aids now! I watched a Sea Harrier display at Portsmouth Navy Days years ago and was deafened - I just had to put my fingers in my ears.

Great photo TGA.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#449 Post by Boac » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:48 am

H&S would have a fit!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#450 Post by llondel » Sun Dec 18, 2022 6:39 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:43 am
I expect that some of the people in the Goofers Gallery will need hearing aids now! I watched a Sea Harrier display at Portsmouth Navy Days years ago and was deafened - I just had to put my fingers in my ears.

Great photo TGA.
I remember being at Duxford once and for some reason they had a Harrier there, which decided to depart while we were out near the runway. It was loud, although the Spitfire which departed not long afterwards seemed louder. That might have been because the Harrier did a standard take-off and most of the noise went behind it, not to the side, and we were also further from it than those on the ship.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#451 Post by Boac » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:19 pm

It's the 'hoovering' bit wot makes the noise - the other noises move about a bit.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#452 Post by FD2 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:38 pm

I love this new photo from Navy Wings of an 819 Sea King from Prestwick rescuing someone off a shipwreck. I have no idea where or when except it looks like a Mk2, so probably about 1980s. Dramatic cliffs and open countryside behind.

819 Rescue.jpeg
819 Rescue.jpeg (71.81 KiB) Viewed 565 times

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#453 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:07 am

FD2 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:38 pm
I love this new photo from Navy Wings of an 819 Sea King from Prestwick rescuing someone off a shipwreck. I have no idea where or when except it looks like a Mk2, so probably about 1980s. Dramatic cliffs and open countryside behind.

819 Rescue.jpeg

Great shot. At first glance I mistook the distant land for a wave! @-)

Mind you....

EssoLanguedoc.JPG
EssoLanguedoc.JPG (54.95 KiB) Viewed 550 times

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_wave

RW.JPG

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#454 Post by FD2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:12 am

"Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground, long heath, brown furze, any thing. The wills above be done! but I would fain die a dry death." Gonzalo in Othello.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#455 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:09 am

FD2 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:12 am
"Now would I give a thousand furlongs of sea for an acre of barren ground, long heath, brown furze, any thing. The wills above be done! but I would fain die a dry death." Gonzalo in Othello.
A perfectly delightful and apposite quote which put a huge smile on my face, but, at the risk of being the pedantic dick I can be, it comes from The Tempest. :-bd
I cannot rest from travel: I will drink
Life to the lees: All times I have enjoy'd
Greatly, have suffer'd greatly, both with those
That loved me, and alone, on shore, and when
Thro' scudding drifts the rainy Hyades
Vext the dim sea: I am become a name;
For always roaming with a hungry heart
ALT

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#456 Post by FD2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:34 am

I can't explain why I wrote Othello rather than The Tempest. One of them has nothing to do with violent storms at sea! Just over a bout of Covid is my only excuse for strange brain fade.

The association of that quote with photos of ships in violent storms is not original - I first saw it in the RN magazine 'Flight Deck' years ago under a photo of a carrier in a violent storm - in fact it might well have been HMCS Bonaventure, caught in one in the Atlantic in on her way home to Halifax from Europe.

Thanks for an apt quote from ALT as well.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#457 Post by FD2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:14 pm

Some great photos from Navy Wings:

RN Corsair Squadron.jpg
RN Corsair Squadron
Gannet overboard.jpg
From Eagle, deck letter 'J' back in 1950s
Buccaneer Mk 2.jpg
Buccaneer on Ark Royal

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#458 Post by FD2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:20 pm

Lastly a Buccaneer about to be launched from Eagle - the ship was scrapped mid-1970s before Ark. I watched its last arrival in Devonport. Planeguard attentive as ever.

Buccaneer & Wessex on Eagle.jpg

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#459 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:24 pm

FD2 wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:34 am
I can't explain why I wrote Othello rather than The Tempest. One of them has nothing to do with violent storms at sea! Just over a bout of Covid is my only excuse for strange brain fade.

The association of that quote with photos of ships in violent storms is not original - I first saw it in the RN magazine 'Flight Deck' years ago under a photo of a carrier in a violent storm - in fact it might well have been HMCS Bonaventure, caught in one in the Atlantic in on her way home to Halifax from Europe.

Thanks for an apt quote from ALT as well.
Your mind was fixed on that unfortunate Moor FD2. He was like...
an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
:)

Some superb photos there FD2. Thanks for posting.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#460 Post by FD2 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:27 pm

I must admit there may have been a subliminal connection with another. ;)))