Another Navy Wings article...

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Another Navy Wings article...

#61 Post by FD2 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:28 pm

John Eacott has lived in Oz for many years and is active on TOP.

Wedge did very well and was later captain of HMS Ocean.He was always Bob until flying training, when the shape of his head was described as being like a wedge and the name stuck.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:23 pm

John is one of the few on TOP who uses his real name. He used to do the flying for "I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of Here" and was occasionally on screen. Bushy Shrubb died on 2 August 2018 - David Warren wrote a nice obit:

Commander D.W.Shrubb OBE RN

I was much saddened to hear of the passing of Commander Shrubb. Whilst I was never in a sufficiently lofty position to call him Bushy (well, not to his face) I count myself very fortunate to have served with him in 826 Squadron for my first operational tour in HMS Eagle in 1969. Joining a fully worked up front line squadron about to embark in a fixed wing carrier was a daunting prospect for a brand new acting sub lieutenant, but luckily there were a number of familiar faces to help me settle in.

Bushy, as Senior Pilot, very quickly made it clear that he considered the new boys a vital part of the squadron and, as such, he expected the highest possible standards in all areas, ranging from flying to secondary duties. He had that rare knack of inspiring people to strive for the best without nagging or patronising. As a graduate of the Operational Flying Training course in 737 Squadron at Portland, I thought I had a pretty fair grounding in anti submarine flying. Bushy very quickly dispelled any tendency to overconfidence with a raft of tips and suggestions to improve efficiency and effectiveness as an ASW pilot.

He went to great lengths to ensure that us new boys learned to `fight` the aircraft rather than just deliver the observer and sonar operator to the scene of the action. Away from the flight deck he was always ready to offer advice or guidance on almost any subject, he it was who suggested we visited the Officers` Club in Norfolk, Virginia dressed in our finest lounge suits and polished accents then sat back and watched the invitations flood in. No doubt it helped that Eagle was a very happy ship with the late Sir John Treacher as a charismatic Captain but my memories of that period remain very rosy.

I will always be in Bushy`s debt for the start he gave me on the operational ladder and still find myself passing on many of his bon mots to the next generation of aviators. He will be sorely missed.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:25 am

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:03 am

From this week's Navy Wings update...

SAR
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:23 pm

From the SAR article...
....Too many times over the years on various Squadrons one would arrive out of breath in the briefing room to be met by the SP or CO who would declare “I will take this one” forever hunting for an AFC (a medal) i guess.....
....and nothing changed in the civil helicopter world. The best jollies or newsworthy tasks were often taken by out of practice management pilots who could barely remember how to start the cab. Me, bitter? Never! ;)))
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:22 am

C16, my first boss was at least honest. The old guard didn't like the new ways, the new guys (like me) did.

"I will take all the jollies, those I can't take because I am on a jolly or on leave the rest of you can share."

I benefited from his selflessness by crewing with him on my first ranger to Malta for a week and then a 3 month Det to Malaysia.

Years later, now crewed with a flight commander, he schemed to nab an extended ranger to New Zealand.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:48 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:08 am

Navy Wings auto renewed my contribution this year and while I am perfectly happy with that and delighted to receive a glossy membership card with a rather splendid photograph of a Fairey Swordfish on it, I was less impressed by the fact that the card was attached to the letter by an adhesive that had dried to the sticky constituency of white bubble gum. :))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:34 pm

One forgets that these pilots were as much sailors as aviators...

https://navywings.org.uk/portfolio/oper ... unaground/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by FD2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:59 pm

Steve Bond has been sending out emails about the release of the first part of his book 'Fleet Air Arm Boys' (Part 1) in a few days time. Available from Navy Wings plus Amazon etc. He's sent a few photos with the emails:

04 Mon 5 Oct 20 3 weeks to go and expectation mounts.jpg

A 'CBalls' Team training. There was a small Army 'Carrier Borne Ground Liaison Team' section in the fixed wing carriers to facilitate communication with the brown jobs ashore.

'Little F' makes an audacious bid to get to the bookshop first 1.jpg

'Little F' makes an audacious bid to get to the bookshop first 2.jpg

At the end of a commission this usually happened to the Wardroom piano!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:11 pm

Anyone now the two and a half? Looks like dolphins as well as wings.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by FD2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Think that’s his medals PN. Suspect the photo was taken late 50s or early 60s.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by FD2 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:44 pm

Correction - I was fooled by the car! It's probably a SAR Flight Wessex Mk 1 in the centre photo, by the pitot tube position, so definitely early 1960s onwards. C16 might confirm that.

I had a friend in the late 60s who drove an old Ford Pop. He gave me a lift one night when it was raining and when he switched the wiper blade on it started wiping the roof. He had to reach out of his window to get it back on the windscreen. Another friend had a car with a bench front seat and when he accelerated the three in the front found themselves on their backs as the seat wasn't bolted down. Pre-MOT days....

I think the Lt Cdr might also have a name tally so maybe a visitor.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:32 pm

Yes, I'll go with it being a Wessex Mk1 - if that is early 1960's it wouldn't have been an SAR machine as we still had Whirlwind HAS7s in the SAR role, certainly on Ark Royal until late 1966. 815 was the first Wessex Mk1 Squadron that embarked on carriers - initially on Ark Royal from November 1961 to December 1963 with a detachment to Victorious in December 1961. So maybe either of those carriers or of course another Squadron on Centaur or Hermes or Eagle!!! Ah, those were the days!

One thing that had me fooled was what looked like a white icing detector protruding from the front of the Wessex - we never had those - but I think it's a white line on the deck! I'd agree with the medal ribbons and name tally for the Lt Cdr.

EDIT: Just remembered that 848 had the Mk1 in the Commando role in the early 60's before the Mk5 came along so the ship could also be either Bulwark or Albion? I think Bulwark and Albion still had their catapults in the early 60's before they were converted to helicopter carriers.
FD2 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:59 pm
.....At the end of a commission this usually happened to the Wardroom piano!
Here's the Wardroom piano being catapulted off Ark Royal in 1978.....I wonder why the Midshipman was wearing a bonedome and oxygen mask - was he hoping to get airborne on it....
wrpiano.JPG

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by FD2 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:08 am

From Steve Bond - apparently it's Eagle in 1967. Was that 820 in those days?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:09 am

Yes, 820. Commissioned with the Wessex Mk.1 at Culdrose in Sep 1964 and deployed in Dec 1964 to the Far East on HMS Eagle, finally returning in Jun 1968. I think by 1967 Eagle's SAR Flight would have had Wessex Mk1 also.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:07 pm

NATING aboard Her Majesty's ships...

A Close Shave...

From this week's Navy Wings update...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:53 pm

Well worth watching...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:18 pm

On the evening of November 11, 1940, 21 obsolete biplanes took off from the British aircraft carrier Illustrious. The aircraft were lumbering Fairey Swordfish torpedo bombers of the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm; their target: Italian Navy warships anchored at the port of Taranto. The events of the next few hours would change the balance of power in the Mediterranean, and set the stage for the world-shaking events of December 7, 1941, on the other side of the world at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
https://www.nationalww2museum.org/war/a ... ember-1940
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#80 Post by FD2 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:38 pm

About 1974 we were lucky enough to have three of the surviving aircrew from Taranto at HMS Gannet in Prestwick as guests at a mess dinner. One of the two squadrons based at Prestwick back then was 819 whose badge was later changed to a man's heel with an arrow through it, as the Italian fleet's base in Taranto Harbour was in the heel of Italy. Squadrons at Taranto were: 813, 815, 819, 824. Just amazing to have a brush with history that night. https://www.fleetairarmoa.org/fleet-air ... le-honours