The Boeing Stratocruiser Part 1

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
The Boeing Stratocruiser Part 1

#1 Post by OneHungLow » Sun May 21, 2023 2:32 pm

I wonder if any of the retired stalwarts who post here ever flew Boeing The Stratocruiser. Here is a wonderful old article (in 3 parts) written by ex-Stratocruiser Captain Tony Spooner.

Transatlantic flying was clearly an adventure for all concerned in those days. Dare I say, in a whimsical kind of way, that there seemed to be a little romance to the industry in those days.
About the author: Tony Spooner (1917-2002) learned to fly with Brooklands Flying Club in 1937. Obtaining a commercial licence, the following year he became a flying instructor at Liverpool’s Speke airport. Upon the outbreak of war, he joined the RAF, flying Wellingtons and then Liberators with Coastal Command, and receiving the DSO and DSC. Post-war civilian life saw Spooner joining BOAC, ending up on trans-Atlantic routes in the Boeing 377 Stratocruiser and then the 707.
Stratocruiser.JPG
The Boeing Model 377 Stratocruiser was a unique and peculiar aircraft. Essentially, the ‘Strat’, as everyone who flew the aircraft invariably called it, was a B-29 bomber which had been hastily converted by Boeing into a civil airliner by replacing the fuselage with a ‘double-bubble’ cabin capable of seating 40-60 passengers on the top deck. Down below in the lower lobe there was a bar reached by a spiral staircase. The wings and the Pratt & Whitney ‘corncob’ R-4360 engines were originally those of certain late B-29s, later redesignated as the B-50.

‘Originally’ was, however, the operative word. When the 377 came before the FAA in order to get its all-important certificate of airworthiness, it failed to meet that body’s stalling criteria. As the ‘Strat’ stalled, it tended to drop a wing. This did not please the FAA at all. That august body, on stalling tests, liked to see the nose, and not the wing, drop first.

A quick fix was devised. Along almost the full length of the ‘Strat’s’ nice clean wing, Boeing was obliged to add lift spoilers. Yes, lift spoilers! The FAA was happy. The aircraft now dropped its nose obligingly as it reached the stall; but we poor pilots of BOAC, and the few other airlines which had ordered the type, were left with an aircraft which possessed several mighty odd characteristics.

Before dwelling on these characteristics, it is worth recording that after the ‘Strat’ had been operated commercially for about 10 years, the FAA decided that the lift spoilers were not really necessary at all. So, off they came. By then, of course, the aircraft had long passed into oblivion as a front-line airliner.

In a flying career which began with Tiger Moths in 1937, and which ended about 30 years later and never forgetting six years of flying overloaded RAF types under wartime conditions, the 377 remains in my mind as by far the most difficult aircraft to fly. For one thing, no matter how hard you pulled back on the stick while rounding out and landing, it was always the nosewheel which first made contact with the runway. It was much the same on take-off: heaving back hard at the correct speed made not the slightest difference. The ‘Strat’ was still determined to run the last few hundred yards with only her nosewheel on the ground. In a good crosswind, the stresses on that nosewheel must have been considerable owing to the tendency of the aircraft, with its huge tail, to weathercock into wind. Fortunately Boeing had designed a nosewheel which could — and daily did — soak up a lot of cruel punishment. This was just as well, as the ‘Strat’ was almost wildly unpredictable. If it just wasn’t ‘one of her days’, she would decide to fall out of your hands whenever anywhere near a landing runway. Bang! Crunch! She would hit with some quite horrible noises. However, to her maker’s credit, the nosewheel always seemed able to take whatever blows befell it. I never once heard of one giving way. It was solid Boeing engineering at its best.

The corncob engines were not so forgiving. They derived their nickname because they were a four-row air-cooled radial. The 28 cylinders were arranged in four banks. To the best of my knowledge this was the only engine so designed. The difficulty about such a wadge of cylinders was to keep the back rows sufficiently cool. It was usually the third row, not the aftmost one, which suffered most from lack of coolth. As a consequence, engines on long flights were always liable to pack up. Yet, oddly enough, this did not pose too much of a problem. This was because of two things. First, the engines seldom overheated and failed during take-off; secondly, once the ‘Strat’ could be persuaded to leave Mother Earth — something which at times it was most reluctant to do — then it was in its true element. It flew like a bird. Many of us collected scores, if not hundreds, of three-engined hours on ‘Strats’. Some of us even collected a few two-engined hours. These were not so comfortable.

It tells its own story that, although the engine was in commercial use for at least a dozen years, it started and ended its life with exactly the same power rating. No attempt was made to uprate it in the light of experience. I can think of no other engine which was so restricted. Enough was enough.

Another unusual ‘Strat’ feature was that it was virtually an all-electric aircraft. There was scarcely a hydraulic pipe in it. I remember talking with ‘Digger’ Ifold, the engineering chief at Dorval, Montreal, where I and the rest of the post-war BOAC Atlantic base were then located. The first ‘Strat’ delivery had just arrived and Digger had been all over it.

“I’ve never seen so much electrical stuff in any one aircraft in all my life”, that worthy man was saying. “Come to think of it, I’ve never seen so much electrical stuff in any two aircraft in all my life”. That wonderfully strong retractable undercarriage was electrically operated: even down to the emergency lowering system. This had to be seen to be believed. The drill went like this: remove all the drinkers from the lower bar (not easy); remove the big mirror at the front of the bar; remove from behind the main spar the emergency hand electric motor, a heavy-duty mechanism, a bit like a roadman’s drill; connect this to the drive of one of the main undercarriage legs and operate so as to lower that leg; and while flying along with ‘one hung low’, repeat the process for the remaining undercarriage leg.

As I remember it, all that had to be done to lower that remarkably tough nosewheel was to heave it out manually. This was accomplished by sending a man down through a hatch into an area which was always known as ‘Lower 41’ and having him disconnect a catch or two and then manually throw the nosewheel out. It was a task for the crew member with the most muscles. It was not a weakling’s job.

A basic drawback to the Stratocruiser as a trans-Atlantic airliner — and BOAC used it for little else — was that it lacked the endurance to fly between London and New York, or even Montreal. Occasionally, with a good tailwind, you could do it the other way, but I never once could find enough range to complete a westbound crossing non-stop. This meant that the skipper, and that included me, had to devise some means of overcoming this shortage. At times, the journey required four stops. London to Prestwick, to pick up passengers; thence to Shannon for a max-all-up weight take-off to Gander or Goose Bay; then on to New York’s Idlewild airport, as it was then called. Alternatively, a London-Prestwick-Keflavík (Iceland)-Sydney (Nova Scotia) or Moncton (New Brunswick)-New York route might be preferred. Pan Am, which for most of the time was the only other airline using ‘Strats’ on the Atlantic routes, had a liking for routes to New York which took them via Lisbon, the Azores and Bermuda; but we, in BOAC, seldom if ever went that far south. In a ‘Strat’, heading for New York, I have several times been over the centre of the huge ice-cap of Greenland. I can even recall, again heading for New York, being over Hudson Bay heading south by east but ‘sailing’ downwind, west of the low. Captains soon became meteorologists first and pilots second, and in BOAC it was the individual captains who decided which route to take. We had no flight despatch system as used by Pan Am.

Despite its engine failures and shortages of fuel, the ‘Strat’ was much loved by its passengers, especially by those who were able to adopt a tolerant attitude to the many delayed or truncated services. This was for two reasons: that downstairs bar; and those lovely bunks.

The bar was an obvious attraction, especially for the many first-class Monarch crossings when drinks were free. It recalled the gentler pre-war days of the leisurely, comfortable Empire flying boats of Imperial Airways. It also prompted TWA, which was the only serious rival to BOAC and Pan Am, to produce a most ingenious publicity campaign. Having no downstairs bar in the Constellations it was using, TWA is reputed to have launched the slogan of, “Fly the Atlantic in comfort: no stairs to climb!”
The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
The Boeing Stratocruiser Part 2

#2 Post by OneHungLow » Sun May 21, 2023 2:36 pm

The bunks were a great selling point. As the flights to the Americas were liable to take as long as 20 hours even without any engine failure or other unscheduled delay, it was a real joy to be able to spend a large part of that long and often bumpy journey in the comfort of one of the aircraft’s wide and spacious bunks. They could be uppers or lowers, but both were splendid.

If those bunks could speak, what tales they could tell! Each could easily accommodate two persons and a good time could be had therein with the curtains drawn. I know! Before you all leap to the wrong conclusions: I was a passenger, and I was journeying with my wife.

One story I well remember. I found, greatly to my annoyance, that an empty bunk was being occupied by a handsome young steward and the stewardess. I got ready to throw the book at the amorous pair. I was a stickler for in-flight discipline and had earned the nickname of ‘Toilet Tony’ from my constant blitzing of the cabin staff about keeping our big, well-appointed toilets spotlessly clean. However, the ingenuous young steward quite disarmed me. At that time there were a number of seasoned BOAC stewards — usually, incidentally, our best ones — who were known to be homosexual. One was in charge of the cabin that night.

“What the Devil do you mean by shacking up with the stewardess?”, I demanded angrily. “It’s like this, sir. We were both off-duty for a rest period, and I figured that it was the only way that I could feel safe from the chief”. Ten out of ten for quick thinking. I had to laugh.

The passengers never suffered. The engines were the critical factor. The turbo-superchargers were apt to overheat or run wild. There were gauges to warn you; they would soon go into the yellow warning range whenever exceeding 25,000ft but, to avoid icing up or becoming ensnared in a mammoth cumulonimbus, it was preferable to keep climbing. The drill was to watch those gauges like a hawk and to keep them in the yellow, but just out of the red range. Fortunately BOAC soon fitted, as an extra, Sperry vibration gauges. These gave an early indication of engine trouble and enabled us to anticipate the next failure or even to avert it. They were great. Pan Am for quite some time did not have these, and I believe that they experienced even more failures than we did. They certainly ditched at least one ‘Strat’, with passengers aboard, in the Pacific. Ours, thankfully, never had to land in the cold, grey waters of the Atlantic.

One of our captains, Val Croft, for once did not manage to prevent an engine failure turning into a good raging fire in the air. His Mayday call was picked up by a Pan Am aeroplane whose skipper was able to inform Val that he had experienced a similar fire in the air. “Not to worry”, he explained. “It will burn for about 20 minutes. The wing won’t come off but the engine will then drop away. After that you’ll be OK”. The fire did burn for about 20 minutes; the fuel in the wing did not ignite. The engine did drop off and Val was able to land safely.

Pan Am had received its ‘Strats’ ahead of BOAC. Those of us who were on early command courses were, as a consequence, first trained on the Pan Am flight simulators at La Guardia Field, New York. None of us had ever seen a flight simulator, and the Pan Am instructors really put us through the mill grinder. They had an ‘RIP list’ for those of us who crashed and ‘killed ourselves’ during their gruelling workout. My name was certainly on it.

However, the simulator really paid off. On my very first max-all-up weight take-off, I had barely got the gear up after departing at night from the runway at Keflavík in a 30kt crosswind when I experienced a runaway propeller. It was so much like being in the simulator, which I had recently left, that I thought nothing of it. I was waiting for the next engine to fail, as that was what I had come to expect. To be able to get back and land on three engines and with a runaway prop which actually feathered OK was, relatively, a piece of cake.

The few airlines then operating over the Atlantic were a friendly lot, as also were their pilots. We all knew one another by name and could even recognise a voice in the air. We generously helped one another with spares. I even once exchanged a couple of passengers with a Pan Am aeroplane on the runway at Goose Bay, as they had boarded the wrong flight. It was relatively common to see a Pan Am engine on a BOAC aeroplane or vice versa. Fortunately the two airlines used similar paintwork. However, during the brief period when American Overseas Airlines operated a few ‘Strats’ over the route, I recall once arriving at Idlewild with one engine borrowed from AOA in Iceland, which was a glaring orange-red in contrast to the other three in our normal refined blue. It looked as incongruous as the proverbial pork chop in a synagogue.

I doubt that I will ever forget that ghastly period when our engines were failing on almost every flight. It only seemed to be a matter of time before one of us would be left with, perhaps, only one of the four working. I took off from Heathrow but was soon back with one feathered to pick up the spare aircraft. By now I was scared. After reaching Prestwick without incident, I delayed the flight by an hour or more by insisting that the engineers remove every filter from each engine and examine it for the tell-tale signs of white metal. Not until assured that all were clear was I prepared to venture across the Atlantic. By the time I reached my destination, Montreal, the fleet had been grounded. I was relieved, although it meant that I was stuck there for about 10 days. By then the base, and my home, was back in England.

The trouble was eventually traced to a pernicious habit which had developed in extremely cold winter weather. At places such as Goose Bay, the thermometer can drop below anything known in the UK. The coldest I ever experienced there was -47°. As aircraft could get stuck there for a long night or longer, it was then extremely difficult to start an engine or even to get a prop to turn over once. The oil had become almost solid. To dilute the frozen oil, the engineers had got into the habit of diluting it with 100-octane petrol. Do that a few times and you can imagine the lack of lubrication then remaining in the oil. It was little wonder that our engine bearings were packing up daily.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The Boeing Stratocruiser Part 3

#3 Post by OneHungLow » Sun May 21, 2023 2:44 pm

Bermuda flights were soon added. The schedule was only about once a week. These, too, had to be routed via Gander owing to the aircraft’s lack of fuel and range. It was one hell of a job to explain to a passenger, who had booked to fly to Bermuda for some winter sunshine, that he was on the right aircraft when, as often was the case, Gander would be out of action with its usual early morning fog and I had to announce to the customers that our first stop would be in Iceland!

The captains had to spend a lot of their time pacifying passengers and in explaining delays, etc. Not all passengers took the bad news well. Capt ‘Bart’ Lazelle had one particularly obnoxious one. Try as Bart did, nothing would soothe him. Again and again, he was announcing to all within earshot that nothing on God’s Earth would ever persuade him to fly with God-Damn BOAC again. So it went on. In the end Bart had had enough. “You’ll never fly with us again, sir?” he enquired. Bart was ever polite.

“No way. Never! Never! Never!”

“On behalf of my country, my company, my crew and myself, I thank you. Sir”. The other passengers applauded. They, too, had had more than enough of Loud Mouth.

The stewardesses were rather special persons. Although usually the most junior of all aboard, they came from fairly good homes. The other stewards did not always relish their conversation, which tended to include phrases such as “My daddy’s Bentley…” Nor did the other cabin staff appreciate their popularity on the ground with the flight crews! Some were young and naive. Others were definitely not so. One notorious stewardess could boast of a ‘logbook’ into which the names of 400 flight crews had been entered, alongside, it is said, some assessment of their prowess. She was an honest, straightforward lass. “I’m not married”, she was heard to exclaim, “and I like it, so I don’t see why I shouldn’t have my share!” One by-product of her generous nature was that she found she never had to buy a meal nor a drink when overseas. It was said that, kindly person that she was, this had enabled her to save so much of her daily overseas subsistence allowances that she had bought her parents a house.

When operating ‘Strats’ on the trans-Atlantic routes, you never knew on which day you would be returning. Delays en route would often lead to a mass of rescheduling, consolidation of flights, reappraisals of the roster. If stuck overseas for days on end, swift romances were brewed. On the other hand, a crew member returning home a few days early, owing to rescheduling, might surprise an unexpected overnight ‘visitor’. I know of two such ‘surprises’ that led to divorce actions.

For all its quirks and shortcomings, one grew used to, and very fond of, the dear old ‘Strat’. It was also an invigorating challenge to be opening up such popular post-war air routes. For many of us who had worn a different uniform between 1939 and 1945, it made a welcome change to be flying aircraft without others shooting at you. The ‘Strat’ was an aeroplane with character; even if one never quite came to terms with all her oddities, this made the job more interesting. She never had enough range for the Atlantic crossing and her engines were always suspect. Yet, as the years rolled by — and my seven to eight years with her was by no means exceptional in length — one became really fond of her despite occasional misgivings. In a way, it was a bit like taking up golf or being married to an attractive wife. There was always that element of nagging doubt. What exactly did she mean? Why won’t that pesky ball go straight? What will the ‘Strat’ feel like today? One never could be quite sure. Life became a lot more mundane when she was replaced, first by the DC-7C, and later by the Boeing 707. Those aircraft carried nearly enough fuel to fly across the Atlantic and back non-stop. The 707 did not even ice up: always a major consideration with the ‘Strat’. Their engines seldom failed.

Progress marches on, and we shall not see the likes of the ‘Strat’ again. Much of the ‘fun’ of finding a way across the Atlantic in the face of a 60kt headwind has gone for ever. Even the navigation, another real challenge in those days, is now all done by numbers fed into a black box. As for meteorology, who today knows the significance of the temperature and dew point? Would any pilot today ever care if the two were rapidly approaching each other at Gander at dawn, with the point of no return behind and with barely enough alternate fuel to reach Stephenville?

Almost every take-off was an event. The engines would be opened up to full power with the brakes on. By then everything on board would be shuddering and juddering. The brakes would be released. The ‘Strat’ then remained quite motionless for what seemed to be seconds before commencing to lumber down the runway.

“Ready to charge”, I once heard a Pan Am skipper announce to the tower at Idlewild when all set to depart. This is how I think of a ‘Strat’ take-off: a charge, with an element of the Charge of the Light Brigade about it.

Them were the days… and the nights, too!
https://www.key.aero/article/those-stra ... and-nights

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
The Boeing Stratocruiser - Misadventure

#4 Post by OneHungLow » Sun May 21, 2023 3:59 pm

Then there were two...

Taking the adventure one step too far... and a tragedy for the canaries.

Ditching.JPG

- the radio traffic is clearly "dramatized!"

https://www.panam.org/pan-am-stories/61 ... -ditchings

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Boeing Stratocruiser Part 1

#5 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun May 21, 2023 7:04 pm

Started my Nav. training on the Strat.using Loran Consol, Astro, before moving to the Britannia. Flew with Tony Spooner once. Experienced an engine failure crossing the Sahara enroute Kano, and had 3 days in Tripoli awaiting a new engine and engineers.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Boeing Stratocruiser Part 1

#6 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun May 21, 2023 7:13 pm

Forgot to mention …. similarity in BOAC and PanAm colour schemes ? BOAC Flight Engineer finished his pre-flight check at Idlewild one night, then had a PanAm F/eng. come aboard and say Thank you Mate - the BOAC Strat. was parked next to it !

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The Boeing Stratocruiser - Misadventure

#7 Post by Karearea » Sun May 21, 2023 8:48 pm

at 6:42, "Coast Guardsman Ronald Christian boards the aircraft and finds it empty of people"

Courage. ^:)^
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."