Hellenikon International Airport

Capetonian

Hellenikon International Airport

#1 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:58 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/trav ... reece.html

Some good photographs of an abandoned and eerie airport, complete with aircraft.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: Hellenikon International Airport

#2 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:30 am

Oi don't want to remember that place. Driving past it twice a year is bad enough. Right hand down wind at 10,000' vis approach, 'clear land'. Then as a pax trying to sleep in a plastic chair for hours. No thank you.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#3 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 am

I remember having to last minute deadhead from ATH to CDG from that bloody terminal. Soon as I had just passed through the doors I'd instantly joined 6 extremely long queues going off in different directions to hell knows what! Admittedly it was Summer.

If it wasn't for the SQ station manager I'd've been stuffed and most certainly missed the flight (Olympic BTW 🙄).

Pity I didn't know RiS in those days (early '90s). Would've had some good times behind the Herculaneum chomping souvlaki and Greek salad while guzzling beer doing some "bird watching".

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:09 am

Pity indeed Slasher. The Olympic terminal was disappointing for a lack of a better world. I am only glad we did not have the terrorism issues we have today because it would have been unworkable. There was a period again in early 90's that there was practically no landside for the international flights and you could gain access only by showing an airline ticket.

The only justification for this situation is that the new airport was being planned since the 70's and they did not bother to really improve the situation; only small improvements were constantly made but not new buildings much like LHR. Maybe the line the only construction site with is own airport does not apply only to LHR.

Slasher, I am surprised you would have missed the Olympic flight. They were always or almost late.

Slasher

#5 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:47 am

Strangely enough it departed exactly on sked mate. I was given a seat next to the left overwing emergency exit (A300 or 310. Can't remember which) and settled into it after very very nicely asking the damn rude cabin crew to shift a huge pile of tourist pax bags conveniently dumped right next to (and up against) said exit.

I think the girls didn't like me after that. I didn't get a second cup of coffee when the drink trolley came around for refills.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 am

It was an A300 and I agree on the crew being rude if they don't like a pax. Very rude indeed however I am surprised they tolerated the bags placed there. A number of times I have seen them being firm on similar safety issues like moving a fat priest to a row by himself as not to block the exit to other pax - admittedly that was much later. A good thing about Olympic Airways crew was their size. You could some very attractive for you and me likethis one the picture is recent so you should subtract a couple of decades from her face.

Not being offered a second cup of coffee yes you were seriously disliked.

There are some more provocative pics when she was an active FA but I don't dare to put an active link.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:26 am

RiS do priests travel free on Olympic as they do on the ships? Ref security. We operated into there but were not allowed to park overnight.

Once thought that we would support the nation's airline and booked Olympic. Going on holiday to here all camps and puddle jumpers booked. Got an e-mail about a change of flight time. Thought no probs, plenty of flex, but not three days!

Did you really want a second cup of their coffee Capt?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#8 Post by Slasher » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:22 am

Fortunately the 2 capts want to skip their LOFT briefing so I've got some free time.

Yes RiS that blonde lady does meet our minimum standards. For those links you don't wanna post here you can send 'em to me by email. Would be very...ahem...appreciated! =p~

Have no idea why they disliked me. I asked them very nicely (with a lovely smile!) if they will be moving all those bags soon, as I'm seated right next to the emerg exit. I was in full uniform (had to immediately op to ROM on arr CDG. F/O was MIA) which probably didn't help things. Since I was the only one sitting in that row it seemed to me they were just going to leave it there.

It appears you know me too well sah...and Olympic coffee. And yes I actually didn't really want that second cup.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:35 pm

Priests have various privilege at the time but since there is no state flag-carrier (we need to run a thread about this term) I am not sure if each private carrier offers them any special term.

Coffee is rarely refused. Olympic coffee was made from instant coffee so taste and strength wise did have some issues. But if offered one it is accepted. Once or twice on the A300 the water for coffee was cold but it was fine. Having said that I just remember that Slasher is not as much coffee man as me.

Slasher, I was on my mobile and did not have readily access to your email hence the PM but believe it or not those pictures were published on a paper with a high circulation in late 80's. And I don't recall any legal consequences on the owner/editor of the paper.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#10 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:35 pm
Priests have various privilege at the time but since there is no state flag-carrier (we need to run a thread about this term) I am not sure if each private carrier offers them any special term.

Coffee is rarely refused. Olympic coffee was made from instant coffee so taste and strength wise did have some issues. But if offered one it is accepted. Once or twice on the A300 the water for coffee was cold but it was fine. Having said that I just remember that Slasher is not as much coffee man as me.

Slasher, I was on my mobile and did not have readily access to your email hence the PM but believe it or not those pictures were published on a paper with a high circulation in late 80's. And I don't recall any legal consequences on the owner/editor of the paper.
Sorry RiS of course Olympic are not a state flag carrier. Guess the priests have to pay for their own tickets. Well the church has enough money to pay for them to go on hols to lie on the beach in the South of France.

So no Greek coffee on Olympic then? Can't believe it. Mind you a bit tricky with the briki on the gas burner in the galley. Once had Gurkhas down the back with a a camping gas stove brewing up. They had no idea, first time on an aircraft. Straight out of the mountains. Never seen an aircraft closer than 30,000 ft, I just said that they were not to do it again. At least they didn't try to build an open fire. :-o

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Nice story about the Gurkhas respect for your reaction. There is a way around the briki and the fire but it is too slow.