Kai Tak - Le Meridien Hotel

Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Kai Tak - Le Meridien Hotel

#1 Post by Fliegenmong » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:29 am

Spent many hours up there waiting on staff tickets up to LGW or back to BNE....often jump seating (into) or out of old HKG....very fonfd memories indeed.... :D
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Slasher

Re: Kai Tak - Le Meridien Hotel

#2 Post by Slasher » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:55 am

Kai Tak IGS 13. That was fun!

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:24 pm

Kai Tak IGS 13. That was fun!

Agreed ! With the 747 I used to aim for the short-body VASI's touchdown zone, that allowed for the flare/float to 'just' take you across the threshold markers - which you will recall for landing were quite well inside the actual end of the surface, i.e. the take-off distance was longer than the official landing distance. The object was to get as much concrete as possible for deceleration without having to hammer the brakes, touching down just before the threshold marker was physically safe, but earned a violation from ATC due to an alleged lower approach slope over the Kowloon rooftops. ( not necessary if final adjustment was made just before touchdown and having used the long-body VASI's to start with) Never got that, tho' I had a few questions asked by the less timid co-pilots !

Such fun, what was the point otherwise ?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:18 am

On the visual turn onto finals I was always amazed that our starboard wing tip didn't pick up some laundry drying draped over the approach lights on roof tops. Also great fun sitting at street cafe below when it would momentarily go dark as a big jet thundered overhead. Photos please.

Once was taxiing in there when a Speedbird had undercooked it and was lined up at our 12 O'clock on the.taxiway. 15° bank turn required if I remember rightly. Plus or minus for cross wind of course.

Must be pretty boring going into the new airstrip.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#5 Post by Slasher » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:56 am

Once you had the chequerboard in sight you followed the lead in lights, but in good vis I'd delay the turn and whop over 25-30* bank. I'm amazed I never collected laundry atop the Forbidden City (long since gone) with #4.

When the wind whipped up over 40 kt (esp x/w from the N) one had quite a bloody rough ride, and during the turn onto final if it came from the SE one had to be a tad aggressive with the throttles when entering and exiting "Venturi Alley."

HKG IIRC was closed if the wind equalled or exceeded 50kt.

Chek Lap Kok isn't fun. They built a bloody mountain right next to the airport!

Slasher

#6 Post by Slasher » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:42 am

It was something akin to this...

[bbvideo=560,315]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bKqO6gdJIz8[/bbvideo]

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:48 am

Once was taxiing in there when a Speedbird had undercooked it and was lined up at our 12 O'clock on the.taxiway. 15° bank turn required

Walking across the apron to our aircraft we spotted a USAF Hercules over the Island waterfront, having - we assumed - started an overshoot because they'd missed the turning point approaching the chequerboard. Suddenly they spotted the runway and made a 90 deg. left turn towards us, descending. People started to run as the Herky Bird approached the threshold at right angles. Finally, very close to the ground and the threshold, a second 90 deg. turn, to the right, was made and a perfect landing ensued. Magic !

One of our Captains flying the back bearing from Cheung Chau NDB towards the Chequer Board at night, before the invention of the IGS, decided to throw it away and turned right towards the Island, forgetting that he must continue ahead until obtaining the correct bearing from the other NDB ( ? ) to start the right turn, in order to clear the Peak, on the Island. Residents near the top of The Peak reckoned he flew beneath them ! Such fun.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by EA01 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:15 am

Yeah...happy memories, so fortunate to have had the jump seat in and out of there several times... :)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:59 pm

Just found this. Goodness knows what his approach speed is. Just seen another clip of Concord landing. The F/O confirms '4 greens' That confused me. See it now: http://www.concordesst.com/gear.html

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by tango15 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:38 pm

I bet the noise of that taking off echoed around Kowloon more then somewhat!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:08 pm

tango15 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:38 pm
Seconded only by us.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:52 pm

Being from the rotary side of the fence I never experienced the joys of chequer board landings at Kai Tak that you guys had, but I witnessed a nail biting bit of flying there in October 65. I was Duty SAR on Ark Royal, anchored off Green Island, when we launched to meet up with a American C-47 that was inbound on one engine on a R&R flight from Vietnam. The weather was not particularly good and in view of that and being on one engine he was unable to do the chequer board approach. There were initial indications that he may have to ditch but we followed him down as he did an excellent landing downwind on the n/w runway in a fairly stiff s/e wind. With a tailwheel it must have been a challenge keeping it on the runway in those conditions.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by tango15 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:08 pm
tango15 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:38 pm
Seconded only by us.
:-bd