Airlines remembered long after they've gone.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Airlines remembered long after they've gone.

#21 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Ibbie wrote:Brymon and their Dash 7s.Used to love flying in and out of Plymouth in one of them to and from LHR. Airways International Cymru and their two 1-11s.

Even before Brymon, Plymouth was a destination of the short lived Westward Airways and if memory serves me correctly they started operations routing Newquay - Plymouth - Gatwick in 1969 with a single Islander. I remember being in the small original control tower at Plymouth on a drizzling day in the autumn of that year and with no traffic on frequency.

I was in deep conversation with Lew, one of the controllers when the Westward inbound from Newquay called up for the weather. "Visibility less than 1500 metres in mist and slight rain" says Lew. The other controller, Paddy, walks over to the window in front of Lew and wipes the condensation away which I and my engineer had contributed to with our damp clothes. "Westward 32", says Lew, "visibility now increased to 2 miles". Lew was a real character. Had some fun times when detached to Plymouth in those days.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by om15 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Brymon had the Herald operating on the Plymouth - Gatwick route in the early eighties, registration G-ATIG it had rather an un flattering colour scheme. It had seen better days when I worked on it.
My start in civil aviation was with British Island Airways, then merged with Air Anglia to become Air UK.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Ibbie » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:49 am

Just thinking back as it would have been my old man's birthday today, to the time he checked in to a hotel in Glasgow and was given a big plush suite,not his normal exec single. A note was slipped under his door a few minutes later addressed to Max Ward, Wardair Canada. He rang reception to tell them he was not that Max Ward and did they want him to move to his booked room. The hotel let him stay in the suite for his stay and sent up a bottle of champagne.