Orkney Aviation Festival

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Orkney Aviation Festival

#1 Post by ricardian » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:42 pm

55 years of the Britten-Norman Islander.
Comment by someone living on North Ronaldsay:
A fascinating talk on 55 years of the Britten-Norman Islander from the Orkney Aviation Festival.
I was interested to hear the speakers' thoughts on the previous air-ambulance model when the service was based in mainland Orkney rather than mainland Scotland.
In my opinion, re-adopting this model would undoubtedly and dramatically reduce air-ambulance waiting times for North Isles patients going to the Balfour hospital.
Scottish Ambulance Service - Air Ambulance based in mainland Scotland and take time to reach Orkney!
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Orkney Aviation Festival

#2 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:12 pm

I've done many a flight to Grimsetter, and stood on Hatston, but it would be great to put Twatt in my logbook! Looked quite serviceable when I visited a few years ago- certainly in an Islander.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Orkney Aviation Festival

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:32 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:12 pm
......but it would be great to put Twatt in my logbook!
Always wanted that as well, I flew by it several times! My boss from the late 60's flew one of the first Sikorsky R4 helicopters to Twatt in 1945 when it was known as HMS Tern. An R4 clouted a Blenheim with its tail when taking off from there - he always denied it was him. ^#(^

Having been a Glenn Miller fan, when planning a delivery flight across the US I chose Chattanooga as a refuelling stop, just to get it in my logbook!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org