British Caledonian at 50.....

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

British Caledonian at 50.....

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:34 am

Yesterday, 30 November, was the 50th anniversary of British Caledonian becoming an airline. This advert was issued on the 10th anniversary in 1980 and was full of optimism for the future. A year earlier in 1979 British Caledonian Helicopters was formed and was the best Company I ever worked for - 8 years of real enjoyment until the whole BCAL Group disappeared with the sale to BA in 1988. BCAL - so good I even married one of their hosties!...not the present Mrs C16.
bcal50.jpg
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: British Caledonian at 50.....

#2 Post by Woody » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:39 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:55 am

Funny thing the very first phrase of the text. I am afraid the answer is "not much".

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by tango15 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Used to fly a lot down to South America with BCal, especially Brazil. One of their hosties apparently married an American guy who had a few bob to spare and they decided to open a 'British' pub in Ipanema called the Lord Jim. (I think her husband was called Jim).
Anyway, after some delays, the pub eventually opened and it certainly had a very British feel to it. Oak beams, proper pub ashtrays, dartboard, etc., most (or all) of which I was reliably informed had come down in the hold of Bcal's aircraft. It was a great pub too. Nice atmosphere and good food. They even did a very acceptable fish and chips.
I was a member of BCal's Chieftain Club, too. One of the better frequent flier programmes. I missed them when they were swallowed up by the odious BA.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by EA01 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:22 am

Yes...B Cal...never heard of them being from Australia...until seeing them in the mid 8's when I first ended up at Gatwick...but back then there was also 'Peoples Express'...and one or two aircraft with the word 'Virgin' scrawled across the tail...

And then I'd return on the CX 'Cucumber' sandwich aircraft!....long ago now...