Expended a fair bit of effort but managed to track down the errant bits and bytes
so all email functions should now be operational.

Petrol quality

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Petrol quality

#21 Post by om15 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Many of the car articles in the press actually question the benefits of fuel additives, my local garage always puts in a measure of cleaner at each service, certainly cars/bikes go better on Shell and BP premium brands.
I will carry on adding redex as preventative maintenance as it doesn't really cost much to periodically put some in before a long run.
Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again neither does milk.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#22 Post by izod tester » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:53 pm

Some years ago I was driving down to the Alps in the 2.2 DCi Nissan X-Trail which I had then which severely lost power some 20km after filling with diesel at a supermarket near Dijon. Stopping and restarting and the motor would run properly for a few km if I avoided hard acceleration before losing power again. The Renault dealer at the village where we were skiing diagnosed a fault in the acceleration control system but could not obtain the correct spares during our stay there so made some adjustments which made the car much better, all for 20 euro. The motor went made it home ok where the Nissan dealer diagnosed a suction control valve problem which he said was caused by poor fuel with insufficient or no lubricity additive. He said the same problem occurred in UK with motors that habitually used supermarket fuel. He also said there could be problems if fuel was bought from a garage that had a very low turnover of fuel since the fuel deteriorates with long storage.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by Bob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Esso Super is the only unleaded I know in my area with no Ethanol in it so I buy that as I will not allow ethanol anywhere near my aeroplane's fuel system
I test it regularly, but I have no idea what they use as instead of Ethanol
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

k3k3
FO
FO

#24 Post by k3k3 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:23 pm

When I owned a 2013 Diesel Jaguar with a Ford derived V6 engine, a petro-chemical engineer of my acquaintance said although it wasn't necessary, if it was his car he would add 0.5% low ash mineral based (not synthetic) 2-stroke oil every time I filled up due to lubricity problems with modern fuels.

Pontius Navigator
Capt
Capt

#25 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:09 pm

K3k3, as many have done I put petrol into my diesel. It ran but a bit rough. Then I realised what I had done. Recovery was uncomplicated but my garage also recommended adding oil. OTOH other advice was that it made no difference.