Jan Morris...

More Aviation

Jan Morris...

#1 Post by More Aviation » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:21 pm

I watched a fascinating TV documentary and interview conducted very intelligently and sympathetically by Michael Palin on the life and times of the Welsh journalist, historian, author and travel writer Jan Morris...

What an extraordinary human being she is... having been part of the expedition that put Hillary and Tenzing on the top of Mount Everest in 1953 (amongst many other extraordinary adventures)...

In her 90's she seem to epitomise what it is to be a kind, decent human being. I felt much better for having watched the programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... jan-morris

I must admit that I have not read any of her historical works or travelogues but am going to rectify that deficiency soon...

http://www.newstatesman.com/2014/12/jan ... ime-venice

MA

GrumpyOldFart
Snr FO
Snr FO

Re: Jan Morris...

#2 Post by GrumpyOldFart » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:21 am

In the 'Pax Britannica' trilogy she brought to life for me a period in British history which a succession of unimaginative schoolteachers had reduced to a pile of ashes and dry bones. My favourite books (out of many thousands over my lifetime) - well-written, and totally 'unputdownable.'
The older I get, the grumpier I get.
I may soon have to start biting people. X(

More Aviation

#3 Post by More Aviation » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:46 am

GrumpyOldFart wrote:In the 'Pax Britannica' trilogy she brought to life for me a period in British history which a succession of unimaginative schoolteachers had reduced to a pile of ashes and dry bones. My favourite books (out of many thousands over my lifetime) - well-written, and totally 'unputdownable.'

As a Morris neophyte I have taken a cue from your experience and have purchased the 3 books comprising Pax Britannica and look forward to some reading and less time Trump worrying in my spare time. Thanks for the steer. :)

MA

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Tall Bird » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Agree MA, it was a superb programme. What a pity it was just 30 minutes worth when trashy subjects get 60 or even 90 minutes worth of airtime. Have heard JM at the RGS on things Everest and have her Venice, Oxford and Spain books. Thought I had the Pax Britannica vols but cannot find them. :-o