Milk bottle cracks in freezer .... but .....

Capetonian

Milk bottle cracks in freezer .... but .....

#1 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 am

A few weeks ago, as I often do, I put a 70% full glass bottle of milk into the freezer prior to going away. There was no top on it and nothing to inhibit the expansion of the contents.

When I took it out, the bottle was cracked in several places. This seems to me to defy logic given that there was ample room for the expansion of the contents and that I have done often in the past. I can only assume that the bottle had an internal flaw, but someone may have a better explanation.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Milk bottle cracks in freezer .... but .....

#2 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:53 am

The liquid at the top froze 1st and formed a stopper!
Cynicism improves with age

Slasher

#3 Post by Slasher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:03 pm

I thought it'd simply push it up the neck as the lower levels in turn froze. But it should've been a problem if the bottle was lying on its side.

Fox3 should be able to answer anyway. He knows about stuff like that. 🤓

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by k3k3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:26 pm

Like Ian said, the top of the milk froze first, then assuming the sides of the bottle converge towards the top, the frozen milk prevented the about to freeze milk below it expanding.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:27 pm

Slasher wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:03 pm
I thought it'd simply push it up the neck as the lower levels in turn froze. But it should've been a problem if the bottle was lying on its side.

Fox3 should be able to answer anyway. He knows about stuff like that. 🤓
Not if he bottle was tapered.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:29 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:26 pm
Like Ian said, the top of the milk froze first, then assuming the sides of the bottle converge towards the top, the frozen milk prevented the about to freeze milk below it expanding.
Must get quicker on the keyboard.

'Converging to the top' sounds much more technical than 'tapered' :-bd

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 pm

My guess is that Ian is right. My experiences with bunging bottled beer in the freezer for a quick chill down, then not quite catching it fast enough, is that the top freezes first. It would cool fastest due both to evaporation from the surface, and conduction due to the greater bottle surface area/liquid volume ratio in the narrowed neck.
That said, milk can be weird stuff. Some physics-aware schoolboy in Africa claimed that boiling milk shoved in the freezer (to make frozen milk sticks, a kind of poor man's ice cream there) was freezing faster than room temperature milk put in at the same time. It was considered BS, but has since been repeated under more controlled scientific conditions. It's named after the boy; the Mpemba Effect. We still don't know why; milk is strange stuff.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:45 pm

In St Vincent we were forced to imbibe frozen beer.

The bar put bottles of beer in the freezer. The beer, under pressure, was liquid. The instant the cap was removed the beer froze.

Some interesting physics there, Boyle's Law and the freezing point of a 5% a!cohol solution .

ribrash

#9 Post by ribrash » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:44 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:45 pm
In St Vincent we were forced to imbibe frozen beer.

The bar put bottles of beer in the freezer. The beer, under pressure, was liquid. The instant the cap was removed the beer froze.

Some interesting physics there, Boyle's Law and the freezing point of a 5% a!cohol solution .
That happened one time when I left a bottle of fizz in the freezer fro a few minutes too long.

Slasher

#10 Post by Slasher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm

Sorry...I made a misspell earlier. If a bottle o' milk, 70% full, was laid in the freezer on its side, then nothing really should've got broked.

Yes milk is strange. Boob milk freezes at a lower temp than the bovine stuff. Moonshine freezes at the same temp as every other rocket fuel.

Maybe we should be examining milk at the quantum level.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Woody » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:56 pm

ck.
That said, milk can be weird stuff. Some physics-aware schoolboy in Africa claimed that boiling milk shoved in the freezer (to make frozen milk sticks, a kind of poor man's ice cream there) was freezing faster than room temperature milk put in at the same time. It was considered BS, but has since been repeated under more controlled scientific conditions. It's named after the boy; the Mpemba Effect. We still don't know why; milk is strange stuff.
I thought that was true of liquids in general, something to do with the Specific Heat Capacity if I remember my Higher grade Physics.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:02 pm

Slasher wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:46 pm
Sorry...I made a misspell earlier. If a bottle o' milk, 70% full, was laid in the freezer on its side, then nothing really should've got broked.

Yes milk is strange. Boob milk freezes at a lower temp than the bovine stuff. Moonshine freezes at the same temp as every other rocket fuel.

Maybe we should be examining milk at the quantum level.

Boob milk has more sugar hence it might be more like sea and fresh water.

Your last phrase has a very special milk when written be you.

Slasher

#13 Post by Slasher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:06 pm

Woody wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:56 pm
if I remember my Higher grade Physics.
I've forgotten most of mine except for old man Newt. All I know is if a big fan sucks in air to a series of littler interlocked fans it gets all hot and squished up. Throw it in an empty beer can sprayed with kero, have some bastard throw a match to it and the whole lot ignites and rushes out the arse end of the overall container. Suck squeeze bang blow.

That's what made me plane go when I was a pilot. Twernt for Isaac I'd never've been one.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by k3k3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:15 pm

I once had a freezer which I suspected was running too cold, anything that said cook from frozen took twice as long as it said on the packet, so I put half a bottle of 47% gin in there overnight, in the morning it had turned to slush.

Gin allowed to warm a little, tonic water added, taste tested fine, freezer replaced.

Capetonian

#15 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:23 pm

Ian seems to have cracked this one (bad pun!).

The milk when not frozen was almost into the tapered part, so I suspect that as Ian said, it froze and formed a stopped. I would have expected the milk underneath to have pushed it up but apparently not.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 pm

Slasher wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:06 pm
Suck squeeze bang blow.
I still have to say that to myself, before translating it to Induction, Compression, Ignition, Exhaustion, or I don't get 'em in the right sequence o:-)

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:08 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:07 pm
Slasher wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:06 pm
Suck squeeze bang blow.
Must be the greatest aid memoir ever!
I still have to say that to myself, before translating it to Induction, Compression, Ignition, Exhaustion, or I don't get 'em in the right sequence o:-)

Sisemen

#18 Post by Sisemen » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:40 am

So explain this then!
067B36DF-F7A5-465C-B69E-093D0D70C8CF.jpeg

Slasher

#19 Post by Slasher » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:27 am

And this.

IMG_3597.JPG
IMG_3597.JPG (74.21 KiB) Viewed 1369 times

Slasher

#20 Post by Slasher » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:00 am

Presently delving into milk at the Relativity level. Fascinating! :-?

According to what I have read a bottle of milk can travel back in time if it skims the Event Horizon at a certain angle and speed. It then has to slingshot and progress through another series of Horizons before it actually travels backwards.

Might explain why a bottle goes missing one day and two turn up next morning. How it got to a bloody bunch of Black Holes to begin with I suppose needs Quantum delving. :-B