Tanners and Bobs

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Tanners and Bobs

#21 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:12 am
Oddly enough, on a quiz show this week there was a question, which was the largest, farthing, tanner, or Guinea.

The contestant admitted not knowing what a Guinea was and opted for a farthing.

Whilst TGG would be a wiz at music trivia, and others at US sports teams or Soccer personalities and other trivia, we remain amazed at general ignorance of geography, history, politics, and other important facts😂
I don't recollect ever handling a Guinea, but logic says it had a greater gold content than a Sovereign, but not necessarily greater in diameter. But I'd still go for the Guinea over the farthing and tanner.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:18 pm

You will recall that tailors were the last high Street retailers that used guineas. A cunning way to price low and cream 5% on top.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:55 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:18 pm
You will recall that tailors were the last high Street retailers that used guineas. A cunning way to price low and cream 5% on top.
My 1st hand-built suit, for my wedding, was 20 Guineas, I got it for £20 for cash.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:02 pm

Bargain.
My first suit at my father's tailors in Hamilton Square, Birkenhead waz £15, the second £17.50. My DJ was expensive at £21 but lasted well over 45 years. I only got a new one as it was good heavy wool and too warm for the tropics.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:19 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 3:18 pm
When invoicing marine insurance firms at Lloyds for the occasional consultancy work that I do for them, I always price my time in Guineas. It's a tradition which goes back to the days when a Guinea was a quarter ounce gold coin which was worth a Pound and a Shilling.

It's quite a good indicator of fiat currency monetary inflation. A quarter ounce of gold costs around £350 today. 1.05/350 = 99.997% devaluation of the Pound Sterling!

The value of gold hasn't gone up. It's the value of fiat currency which has gone down. The value of gold is remarkably stable across centuries or even millennia. Priced in gold, a bespoke business suit in 2021 costs almost exactly the same as a Roman Senator's toga and sandals did two thousand years ago.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#26 Post by jimtherev » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:46 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:58 pm
boing wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:31 pm
.....giving me what appeared to be huge dose of a creamy white fluid, which was probably pennacillin, in my back-side.
Oh, jeez, that brings back memories of when I was about 10 at the long gone Royal Victoria Hospital in Bournemouth - it was penicillin and bloody painful I recall as it seemed to be the consistency of wet crushed chalk.
Aged about 20 I had a tooth ulcerate and the dentist prescribed penicillin. Worked for the Atomic Energy Authority: doctor, dentist, Medical Division all on site. So off to nursie. When I got there I discovered that the duty sister was Evelyn, who happened to be married to my boss, whom I led a daily merry dance.

"Young James" quoth she "Roger has asked me to use my special blunt needle."

True or not about the needle, I can confirm what C16 wrote.