Polestar 2 Electric Car - my test drive and assessment

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Polestar 2 Electric Car - my test drive and assessment

#21 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:22 am

I was surprised that OFSO reckons that in Spain an electric car costs more per mile/km than an oil burrner, so I did a calculation of the costs for a Model S and a Polestar 2.

I crunched the numbers for a journey from Perthus on the border to Tarifa to Madrid to Coruna to Roses. 2,382 miles, averaging 66.5mph.

Cost of charging totalled 251 Euros in the Tesla Model S and 276 Euros in the Polestar 2 single motor variant. Assuming 1.25 Euros per litre and 50mpg that would be £4.50 per gallon or £215 (253 Euros) for the trip in OFSO's diesel burner. Surprisingly similar costs per mile at Spanish prices. UK prices per litre are around £1.40 per litre, so the arithmetic would look very different for such a journey within the UK.

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_u ... cbbc5c02b6

We're planning a long road trip for next year. Scotland - Marrakesh - Constanta - North Cape and perhaps going clockwise around the Baltic. It's an awful lot of driving, but we aim to take a month, probably May or perhaps June. My Tesla has free charging at Superchargers, but they no longer do that for new cars, so we're going to get the best out of this one while we can. I'm also looking into the costs and practicalities of shipping the car to New York so we can do a three month grand tour of the whole of the continental US.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Polestar 2 Electric Car - my test drive and assessment

#22 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:20 pm

Your cost of €1.25 a litre for diesel is way out. Last month I paid €1.08. This week it was a high of €1.17. Electricity today is €249.5 per megawatt hour.

And the tank of my Mondeo estate still holds the same amount of diesel as when I bought it six years ago.