Huge power outage - Scotland - PC now dead

Title says it all
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Huge power outage - Scotland - PC now dead

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:42 pm

The whole of the north east of Scotland from Inverness to Aberdeen to Montrose lost power an hour ago - 382 postcodes. It's back on okay now. I was out so couldn't shut down the two PCs on UPS. The UPS did its stuff I presume until the batteries discharged and the PCs both shut down. One is okay but when I started the PC that runs my weather station website it failed to boot. BIOS doesn't recognise it has a hard drive, just a CD-ROM. Bugger, bugger, bugger! Fortunately I back up twice daily so have all the info up until 1000 today. Look like a new hard drive is required.....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Huge power outage - Scotland - PC now dead

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:44 pm

Don't give up yet.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:13 pm

Panic over. Remembered I had a surplus hard disk in a drawer. Took the sides off the PC to remove the existing hard disk. The HDD power cable didn't seem as tight as it should be. Pushed it in hard. Did 3 Hail Marys. ^:)^ Powered up and it all works. :-bd Somehow the shock of a sudden shut down must have been just enough to loosen the plug finally - it hasn't been touched for at least 4 years. An odd timing coincidence - it could have happened at any time.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:56 pm

Cograts on averted crisis! #:-S :-bd
Don't you love simple solutions for potentially expensive and/or time consuming tasks? :YMAPPLAUSE:

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:18 am

Six shortish breaks in our urbanisation Monday evening, one Tuesday evening. Reclosers causing very ragged reconnections but nothing damaged.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Hydromet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:15 am

Love simple solutions.
Had severe storms last weekend and many areas, including ours, lost power, so obviously no broadband phone or internet. We were lucky and had power back in 24 hours, but still no internet. Of course, some NBN cables were down, but the modem has a sim card so that it can switch to the cell phone network. Which it didn't.

Did the thing that every help desk asks if you've done, switched it off and on. Came back on straight away, even though the nearest cell phone tower was damaged, so we had a weaker signal.