Linux aid required!

Title says it all
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Linux aid required!

#1 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:05 pm

I just know there is a Linux networking guru out there just waiting for my call.................

In an idle afternoon I put Ubuntu 14 on a spare laptop. Changed the bizarrely long Linux hostname to 'Ubuntu' for ease. The Laptop can now 'see' and access all the machines on my Win7 64bit network. Here's the issue, and I have googled until almost blind with no solution. My Win machines cannot see Ubuntu UNLESS I type \\Ubuntu into the run window, when up it all pops, shares and all. Come out of that and re-enter and - no Ubuntu unless...............

Every time I have 'dabbled' with Linux I have hit a disincentivising large brick wall! I would have hoped that by 2016 the distros would have got this all sorted without my needing to dive into sudo.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Linux aid required!

#2 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:15 pm

I have tried several flavours of Linux. The (only) one I like is Linux Mint. Very WIN-like but without the baggage WIN brings.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:29 pm

I had Mint on the machine until today but had never dabbled with networking. Have you networked with a Win machine?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:26 am

Well - I'll be! Heaven knows what happened, and despite several restarts on both machines yesterday, but this am I opened the Win network and there was 'Ubuntu' with its tongue sticking out :p

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:35 am

Because Main Machine runs the OS that Dare Not Speak Its Name it is not networked to Little Miss Mint or Mr Chromebook. Anything I want to transfer is sent via the Cloud where it gets (I presume) well and truly scanned.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:53 pm

BOAC,

Now that your Windoze machines can see Ubuntu I guess it's a moot point but I'll ask anyway: did you turn SAMBA on, on the Linux box?
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:18 pm

RGB - Samba not installed with the distro but added by me and host-name changed from 400 characters long to Ubuntu as above in the conf file. Still no joy all day Saturday with frequent restarts on both machines. Absolutely NO idea what caused its change of mind yesterday morning!!

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by rgbrock1 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Boac wrote:RGB - Samba not installed with the distro but added by me and host-name changed from 400 characters long to Ubuntu as above in the conf file. Still no joy all day Saturday with frequent restarts on both machines. Absolutely NO idea what caused its change of mind yesterday morning!!

Perhaps Windoze, in its infinite "wisdom" finally acknowledged the existence of an alien entity? :D
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors