Title says it all
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Junk

#21 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:30 pm
Thank you John. I will give that a bash. I still have to clear the in box of 150,000 e-mails.
One of the ways to clear one's (physical) mailbox was to dump the contents into the internal mail (a physical system whereby female office juniors pushed a trolley around the building disseminating mail to the 'office' inbox).
Sending (physical) internal mail meant that the items collected from the office out-tray were taken to 'central' mailing where they were sorted. At worst it gave you a couple of hours, more usually 24 hours, and, sometimes several days before the items were returned to you.

admin
Chief Engineer

#22 Post by admin » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:19 pm

Big mistake many people make is when they receive spam emails with an "unsubscribe from this list" link is to click on the link. This tells the git who is posting the spam that it's a valid address, leading to masses of subsequent crap when the address gets circulated.

Admin

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:30 pm

I have a dual-sim mobile 'phone.
One sim was supplied FOC when I was supplied with a FOC replacement 'phone by my ISP.
As this sim had a new number I complained and was eventually supplied with a sim with my original number.
The new sim (not the one with my original number) receives all the spam calls - which I don't answer - I keep the sim because it has credit remaining (IIRC the terms and conditions required me to buy a minimum amount of credit).
It amazes me that after a couple of years, calls are still arriving on a daily basis - why don't they give up?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by llondel » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:06 pm

Having my own domain name and with my own email server, I get to have as many email addresses as I want. I will often make up a new one specifically for a particular company, and it is interesting how many of those 'leak' to the spammers. The downside is when someone accumulates a lot of them from various data breaches, multiple copies of spam turns up (but gets eaten by the filter). The extortion spam stuff where they want Bitcoin or else has probably been bounced 20-30k times.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed May 01, 2019 1:35 pm

All these e-mails are now going into junk. I have one a second coming in. 226,000 stacked up. My webmail server will not respond. Says: Server Error! (Internal Server Error) I can't do anything on the server.

I can't delete them faster than they are coming in.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by Woody » Wed May 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Have you tried logging out, resetting your password and then logging in again later, sometimes works.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by boing » Wed May 01, 2019 2:48 pm

Have you tried not insulting the party of French IT experts who are visiting the village ? [-X

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by Woody » Wed May 01, 2019 2:50 pm

boing wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 2:48 pm
Have you tried not insulting the party of French IT experts who are visiting the village ? [-X
=)) =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by boing » Wed May 01, 2019 3:04 pm

EX-A
This is not an advertisement for the company but it might help so you will have to judge for yourself. I use an e-mail handler called Protonmail. Certain of the advantages are that you can transfer your present e-mail domain name to their service so your transition is seamless and your contact list is stored encrypted so nobody can hack it. Another capability is to sort e-mails on arrival and assign them to different folders, for example, you could sort and assign mail to folders based on country of origin.

You can have multiple e-mail addresses which direct to the same account. You can also have several user names for each e-mail address. I use this capability so that e-mails returned to one of the extra addresses are directed by the sort system to a specific folder. You pay for the extra services of course.

Having to protect your e-mail system is a nuisance but I now receive far fewer spam messages than I did under Google owned servers.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#30 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri May 03, 2019 9:08 am

Thanks for all the advice. Have managed to get them all going into junk now. In box clear but system is swamped. Will have to get onto our IT people to clear it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.