Windows Security Patches

Title says it all
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Windows Security Patches

#1 Post by OFSO » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:16 am

And if you've left XP behind and are now feeling secure:

Microsoft has today released patches for 56 security vulnerabilities in its products. People should apply the updates as soon as possible because miscreants are actively exploiting at least two of the holes – and likely more by the time you read this.

The September patch batch includes critical fixes for Internet Explorer and Edge, Office, and Windows. Users and administrators are being advised to test and install the updates on the double.

Of the 56 vulnerabilities, 14 in Internet Explorer, four in the supposedly super-whizzbang-secure Edge browser, one in Windows' handling of OpenType fonts, four in Windows' Journal file handling, and four in Microsoft Office, allow an attacker to remotely execute evil code on a victim's system.

More on http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/08 ... _sept2015/

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Windows Security Patches

#2 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:48 am

To add to our joy, M$ are now down 'downloading' W10 to your computer whether you want it or not. U seful if you are on limited disk space or tight on download limits!

I gather the 'update' files can be removed using Disk clean-up but right now I cannot get ANY security updates without downloading *** W10 ***** first. X(

wgw2

#3 Post by wgw2 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:59 am

Boac beat me to it. There's more information about this at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/10/windows_10_forced_download/. It's not happening to everyone - I checked my main machine after applying the September patches to the Win8 installation there yesterday and found no signs that this had been done, but something to be aware of if you're running 7, 8, or 8.1. (FWIW, in Windows Update I do see an optional update that says it's there to prepare for a later Win10 installation. I don't think I'm going to apply that one....)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:18 am

In view of all the (justified) fuss about the new 'snooping' powers of Win 10 (if you do not elect for a 'custom' install) I find myself wondering exactly what M$ is putting on my machine! (No, I'm not paranoid about the piccies of sheep on my hard drive).

Still apparently 'installing' Win10 after 20 minutes on a 36Mb connection! Hmm.

I should add that I had already 'removed' the Win10 option and files (as per a Google instruction) some time ago to avoid this scenario and the constant nagging, electing to return once the dust had settled.

WGW - via Google you may wish to look for the 'signature' files of a Win10 setup.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 am

Finally finished all the patches and given the opportunity to 'decline' the W10 install (guess what.........). Whether I have to go through all that download again or not.................

How does it go? "Just because you are paranoid does not mean......."

I now have the 'Get Win10' icon back in Sys Tray (went to great lengths to remove that a while back...) and on reboot it spends some time 'Setting up personalised settings' and 'preparing my desktop' - what!? Now I have AGAIN been 'invited' to install W10 (despite having just said 'No') - and have to again wait while it 'cleans up'

Hrrmmph.

wgw2

#6 Post by wgw2 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Boac wrote:...WGW - via Google you may wish to look for the 'signature' files of a Win10 setup.

Thanks, already done. From what I've read, my machine probably dodged the bullet because I disabled automatic updating (and turned off treating recommended updates the same as critical ones), and I'm pretty leery about applying anything marked optional.

(I've just bitten a different bullet and upgraded to Windows 8.1 because there seems to be some question about whether Win8 will continue to get critical fixes after the end of the month. Update took about 3 hours, then there were 34 important updates to be applied, but no problems - just don't take the "Express" settings when this is suggested. UI looks marginally better than Win8 but I installed Classic Shell again anyway.)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:17 pm

Wise move!

I've kept away from 8 and I think I'm likely to stay with 7 (in my opinion, the best yet) until end-ex (?2020?) by which time I reckon I'll be needing a new machine anyway.

3 machines now updated (quite some bandwidth!). Waiting now for M$ to decide the 10 update will be 'automatic'. :ymdevil:

I think M$ have handled this completely wrongly.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Tall Bird » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:26 pm

Whilst in Canada took the young rellies to mahoosive shopping mall. Expecting to waste an hour there, they informed me two hours minimum was required. OK said indulgent auntie. Spotted a Microsoft store and, blinded by the bright shiny lights and, with nothing better to do, I went in. I explained to the nice young assistant we don't have these stores in UK (apparently MS is concentrating on China & Oz markets pro tem) but I'd had the Win 10 invite and wanted to see what's what. Hmm. Half the programmes I have will not work and I'll have to pay again for the likes of Office and other progs. Will stay with Win 7 thank you.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:35 pm

For those who do updates manually like me (I have Win 7 x64), the following KBs either attempt to persuade you to install Win 10, or kindly give you the Win 10 spying software on your non-Win 10 system, and are thus worth avoiding.

p.s. Win 10 will ask you to pay to play ad-free Solitaire - worth avoiding for that reason alone!

sprintman

#10 Post by sprintman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:38 am

I just downloaded the upgrade from Win 7 64-bit Home Premium and kept working. The most seamless upgrade I've seen and after 35 years in IT I've seen a few. Added Start10 for convenience. Really sure what all the fuss is about tbh.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Boac » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:16 am

Sprint - there is nothing wrong with Win 10 in itself, although I do not like the 'Smartphone' type screen. BUT if you didn't select' Custom Install' you should do some interneting and see what your machine is now reporting back to M$. There is dissatisfaction generally also about the way M$ have gone about this 'upgrade' and the way you cannot stop further updates. There have been several of these which have caused chaos in users' machines.

Mind you, can we be sure that even if we 'decline' the 'feedback', it stops?

sprintman

#12 Post by sprintman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:12 pm

Boac wrote:Sprint - there is nothing wrong with Win 10 in itself, although I do not like the 'Smartphone' type screen. BUT if you didn't select' Custom Install' you should do some interneting and see what your machine is now reporting back to M$. There is dissatisfaction generally also about the way M$ have gone about this 'upgrade' and the way you cannot stop further updates. There have been several of these which have caused chaos in users' machines.

Mind you, can we be sure that even if we 'decline' the 'feedback', it stops?

Nothing others haven't been doing for years. And if you're that paranoid download OOSU10 and stop worrying.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by A Lutra Continua » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:22 am

Bah! Something (and I suspect Gates' Wet Dream 8.1) cocked up my anti virus stuff, along with Firefox, not allowing it to load. Did a system restore and it seems to be OK now but looking to find the cause and exterminate the bastard.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:25 pm

A Lutra Continua wrote:Bah! Something (and I suspect Gates' Wet Dream 8.1) cocked up my anti virus stuff, along with Firefox, not allowing it to load. Did a system restore and it seems to be OK now but looking to find the cause and exterminate the bastard.

What anti-virus software do/did you have installed?
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by A Lutra Continua » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:29 pm

Avast.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by rgbrock1 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:44 pm

A Lutra Continua wrote:Avast.

Make sure you have Windows built-in anti-virus disabled. It's been known to disable other anti-virus programs.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by A Lutra Continua » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:48 pm

Cheers. Done.