Maplins

Title says it all
Capetonian

Maplins

#1 Post by Capetonian » Tue May 15, 2018 8:44 am

I was sorry to see that this emporium of all things electronic is closing down. I happened to walk past a store yesterday and saw that 'everything must go' including the shop fixtures and fittings, with most items marked down by 50%, some by 70%. I popped in to browse and buy a few bits and pieces,

Sad, because over the years I've always found them useful and their staff knowledgeable and helpful. Now those people will be looking for jobs, victims of 'internet shopping'. Ironic because Maplins started out as a mail order business in about 1975.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Maplins

#2 Post by Boac » Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 am

Indeed, sorry too. I visited the Belfast Airport shop a couple of weeks back - great bargains but nothing I could really justify.

The manager said an employee buy-out did not reach target. As you say, the demise of a good store.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by OFSO » Tue May 15, 2018 1:07 pm

I was surprised how little the price reductions were. Suspect most stock bought up elsewhere. But sad. Morgan Electronics shops gone, now Maplins. Only Dyas left for a good browse & good computing accessories.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by barkingmad » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:32 pm

For those of us soldering iron flux-sniffing addicts has anyone tried this since the shops closed?

https://www.maplin.co.uk

I'd be interested to know if/how the service was.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:35 pm

I don't think Maplins ever marketed themselves properly. I asked some non-techie friends around the time they started closing stores, and they all thought it was just for electronics nerds, and if they went in they'd get gobbledegook spouted at them. I always found the staff able to talk at any level, and the prices about a third off anywhere else and the goods reliable.
Last time I went in was for a satellite dish tuner
"Fitting a Sky box or Freeview?"
"Freeview"
"Get this one (cheapest, analogue meter), anything over x dB is a good signal, and do vertical first then horizontal"

and he was right, easy-peasy.
I ordered online once some time ago. Worked fine, goods despatched within 24 hrs.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by OFSO » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:05 am

Yes, I passed a dead Maplins in the City last week. Very sad. One can still find everything electronic but not all in the same store, which requires a lot of walking.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ian16th » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:23 am

OFSO wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:05 am
Yes, I passed a dead Maplins in the City last week. Very sad. One can still find everything electronic but not all in the same store, which requires a lot of walking.
Aren't Radio Spares still operating?

Now trading as RS!
Cynicism improves with age

zarniwoop
Snr FO
Snr FO

#8 Post by zarniwoop » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:26 am

Maplins used to be the go to place for computer and electronics parts at one time, the staff all knew their stuff and were always happy to help, if they didn't have the item on the shop floor it could always be ordered in within a few days. The last few years they turned into just another box shifter with window displays filled with disco lights, battery powered ride on toys (stop sniggering!) and whatever the latest internet connected fad was, sadly the staff seemed to be going in the same direction - box shifters that is, not battery powered.

I needed to buy a couple of extra batteries for the video camera a few years ago so thought I'd try the big box store where I'd bought the camera, their response was "We don't keep those in stock, they might be on the website, here's a leaflet", going across the corner the Maplins store proved little better, at least they looked on the website to see if they actually sold camera batteries but with the same buy it on the internet result.

Neither seemed to considered that I might not have a debit card to pay online with or that I might prefer to collect than have them delivered, it was almost as if they didn't want customers coming into their stores and making the place look untidy, in the end I did exactly what they both suggested and ordered through the Big River Company which saved me the hassle of creating another online account I would likely never use again, and in the case of Maplin wouldn't get the chance to use again.