Driven mad

Title says it all
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Driven mad

#1 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:10 pm

As in "Driver Mad". At my temporary QRL I have a mini Acer PC running WIN7. Bought a Canon Pixma printer to run off some vital letters. No driver in the PC for that. Printer came with a driver disk, but no disc drive in the mini PC so no way of installing it. PC not recognising printer. And no internet at location.

Solution: download driver onto my Huawei smartphone using 3G, took two minutes. Plug phone into PC, copy driver and run it. Success. Delete driver from phone download store. Must say I was surprised it worked.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Driven mad

#2 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:12 pm

The files on an Android phone are accesible to a USB connected Windoze PC.

Another option you could have tried, is download the file to an SD card in the phone, take the SD card out of the phone an insert into card reader on the PC.

With my recent problem re: USB - VGA adapter, I used my Canon camera to make a demo video of the problem.
Put the SD card from the camera into the PC reader, connected my Samsung phone to the PC via USB and copied the video file. Which I played in the shop to demonstrate the problem.

All of these devices are logical HDD's to Windoze.
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Pleased

#3 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:05 pm

My homefi router arrived tonight. Plug in mains, plug in PC, type user/password and off we go on unlimited 4G. Could not be an easier or faster setup. Four ethernet sockets for CAT6 and up to 32 WiFi devices simultaneously. But device did not come with a phone number so not sure of the purpose of the phone socket.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Pleased

#4 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:32 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:05 pm
But device did not come with a phone number so not sure of the purpose of the phone socket.
That's how you get to talk to the litle Asian chap inside the box. Plug a phone in and call room service. If you want different actuator levers pulled or different pneumatic pressures set then he's the guy who does it.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Driven mad

#5 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:03 am

As Alison says, OFSO - it is the modern equivalent of the Italian hotel desk where you could request 'extra blankets'. Just plug in a phone and ask and leave the room door unlocked and the bed warmer will arrive:-o