Anyone ever upgraded Android on a Smart Phone?

Title says it all
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Anyone ever upgraded Android on a Smart Phone?

#1 Post by ian16th » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:04 pm

I have discovered that my new Samsung phone does not have the latest level of Android.

I have V7 and V8 is available.

Being a beginner in this area I am very wary of such an upgrade.

Are there and benefits, perceived or real, of doing such an upgrade?
Cynicism improves with age

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

Re: Anyone ever upgraded Android on a Smart Phone?

#2 Post by unifoxos » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:57 am

I can't imagine any benefit will outweigh the time and effort involved in going through the hassle of upgrading. Version 4 is good enough for anything I want to do, and anything I can't do in the current version probably can't be done in the newer one either.

If it ain't bust, don't fix it.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:08 am

Not a very experienced smart phone user but here are my thoughts: generally speaking the phone asks you to upgrade to the new version - there are some settings about how to download the upgrade (wifi or 4G)- if the manufacturer judges your mobile can handle it. I accept the upgrades because they seem to offer a more stable phone as far as the running of apps is concerned although I can't really say I have seen it. On the other hand I don't visit suspect sites on my mobile or do internet banking so I can't test the security advantages.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:43 pm

I considered upgrading my old Huawei to a later OS but after selling some family antiques I netted a hundred quid with which I purchased a new, much larger screen, and faster Huawei. Having the two phones side by side proves tempus fugits and no way would the older one have been able to cope with the upgraded OS.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:50 pm

I think that this is definitely a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Unless I find a really 'must have' app that needs a function of Android V8, I'll stick with V7.

I discussed this with a former work colleague who has written Android Apps, and he says that anyone that writes an App that is release dependent is daft.

Having been fascinated watching Flightradar24 while ExA was landing at Jan Smuts, I've found an Android version of it. So a new toy!
Cynicism improves with age

flynverted
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by flynverted » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:51 am

I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I've had a dumb phone for years, does what I need it to do...
Recently me boss got me an I phone... It has ***** I wouldn't use in a hundred years, and keeps asking me to update... Why? It accesses the internet, takes pics and sends pics... Why do I need to update??? Job security for some weed smoking fvckwit???

Clarence Oveur
PPL
PPL

#7 Post by Clarence Oveur » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:35 pm

ian16th wrote:I think that this is definitely a case of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it
How do you know it's not broken? Are someone mining crypto-currency on your phone when you're not looking? Are someone looking through the cameras or listening through the microphones? (Yes, there is more than one). Are someone sending spam via your phone, looking through your call log, your emails, your contacts?

Other than getting the latest security patches, updating the operating system will get you better memory management, better storage management and better battery management. It will also get you detailed control of what each app is able to access on your phone.