IPad battery - again !

Title says it all
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

IPad battery - again !

#1 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:08 am

My iPad appears to be using up battery capacity even when totally powered OFF i.e. not just "sleeping". Is this normal ?

I turned it off completely last night at around 9.00 pm with an indicated 21% of battery capacity remaining and yet this morning at 09.00am it was totally exhausted, wouldn't even switch on until it had been on charge for 15 minutes.

I have had it suggested that there is an internal clock, and maybe other "services" always drawing some power, but 20% over 12 hours ?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: IPad battery - again !

#2 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:18 am

But .... last night it didn't lose anything, so WTF ?

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:23 am

Since upgrading my iPhone to iOS 11.4.1 I've had significant battery problems. It can be sitting there with 80-90% charge and then without me touching it some piece of code will get itself in a loop and completely drain the battery in 15-20 minutes. Never had any semblance of a problem before upgrading, Always ran fine. Searching via giggle suggests what is happening isn't that unusual. :ymsick:

Was hoping it would make it through to the next software release in a few days time, which might fix it. Would not recommend Apple kit to anyone who lives any distance from an Apple store. It's easy to become so dependant upon a smartphone that having to post it off for a week or so can be quite traumatic. Fortunately mine was a hand-me-down from a relative upgrading, so no loss of investment incurred.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:00 am

I haven't even upgraded from 8.1, but I think I'm experiencing the same phenomena, e.g. it sometimes acts as you describe, but at other times the charge will remain as per the day before, and I'm talking about being switched off ( I think ) totally for 12 hours or more. ( yes ! I can live unwired for that length of time ! )

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:32 am

Lithium batteries don't like being totally discharged. It kills them, and won't then accept any charge. Suspect mine has now reached that stage. What really pisses me off is that I cannot get inside to see what's happening. No log files, no diagnostics, zilch. It's turned into a brick and there's SFA I can do.

If I drive up to Sydney to one of their outlets, some smartarse fanboy will tell me the battery's dead. With no knowledge or interest in how it happened. Saw a Youtube video once where someone put a bullet through their iPhone. Feel like doing the same.

Alison

Slasher

#6 Post by Slasher » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:37 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:00 am
I haven't even upgraded from 8.1
My stoopid iPhone is iOS 11.3.2 and I don't dare upgrade from that unless I'm forced at gunpoint. Like Windows of course, annoying or troublesome sh!t will invariably happen whenever one upgrades an OS.

My last iPhone OS upgrade was after exhaustive feedback from users of 11.3.2 and found nothing to worry about. Haven't budged since, and from what I've read here looks like I'll stay in the non-budge state.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7 Post by jimtherev » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:05 pm

I suppose it's not helpful for me to say that my Samsung Galaxy (in fact, the last one was, as well) is capricious in power consumption. Tonight, when plugged in, had 81% charge left. Saturday, when I was busy doing ministerial things and didn't take the idiot device out of my pocket all day: 21% remaining.
Speak to an 'expert' and they'll likely say, "There's a lot of that about."

UURRRGH.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:30 am

Just a case of whether the local mast is transmitting, how many others in the area, etc. I notice a wide variety of battery durations depending on where I am - has little to do with useage. (Huawei lasts about 18 hrs normally).

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:36 am

As a matter of signal strength, my 4G internet connection box sits on a shelf above the computers where I can see the received signal strength display. This varies widely during the day and evening and I can see no reason for it. The nearest phone mast is about 2 miles away, maybe 3. The box is mains powered so on constantly. While in the house, the phones are all connected to one of the two wifi systems so battery consumption is constant. However the google home, also connected to one of the wifi systems, is being bitchy this morning saying "I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that" when asked to connect to LBC. Quite happy to connect to BBC Radio 4 !

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:49 am

Booked myself an appointment with an Apple "Genius - =))" in Sydney for yesterday, and drove up - 150km. Allowed plenty of time as I don't like Sydney traffic especially around their huge shopping malls. So had to wait a good hour until my appointment time. This young female, with a very perfunctory knowledge of my device - an IPhone 6, deigned to give me her attention.

Explained that on loading their latest incarnation of iOS 11.4.1 I immediately noticed something adrift. The display was very bright, which I needed to turn down. Subsequently the LED backlight ceased to work, giving me an almost black display which initially I thought indicated a flat battery. Under dark conditions I could make out what appeared to be normal displays. And knowing where to tap meant I was able to answer incoming phone calls.

She intimated that it would need a new display screen - cost $199, but as it would be covered by extended warranty, which I knew nothing about, it would be free. And I was to return in an hour and half to collect the device, repaired. Which I did and it was.

Suspect the "extended warranty" offer was a cover up for a bug in the software that zapped the screen. So another 150km drive, home. Made for a pretty long and tiring day all told. If I had posted it in in all probability they would have charged me for the replacement display screen. Being there enabled me to make the point that it's failure was a function of the latest software version upgrade. :ymsmug:

Alison

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by OFSO » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:49 pm

My BIL came for the weekend. His phone would not connect to data despite roaming and mobile data on. When he showed me the make I told him to chuck it away and buy a Samsung or Huawei. After driving right across Spain, 6 hours on the motorway, to San Sebastian it reconnected itself. B long drive just to fix a problem.

Slasher

#12 Post by Slasher » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:28 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:08 am
My iPad appears to be using up battery capacity even when totally powered OFF i.e. not just "sleeping". Is this normal ?
ExSp33d I'd recommended downloading Battery Life at the App Store. It's free and gives a lot of info that may be of some use.

No need to buy the Pro version.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:35 am

.....Battery Life at the App Store.
Mille Grazie

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:28 am

My wife's IPad has poor battery life and her Kindle also drains while you look at it.

The problem with the Kindle is the Wi-Fi module. If we switch to airplane mode the battery lasts for days. Obviously with a phone or tablet that is not an option.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by OFSO » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm

I was just reading a tech bulletin which said something along the lines of the latest pushed software to i phones has affected charging. Some phones won't charge fully, some need to have the display on before you push the connector in. Some need to turn on the display several times. Can't say I was really interested being an Andy Man.

Sisemen

#16 Post by Sisemen » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:11 am

Currently in the States and upgraded iPhone and pad to ios12 the other day and now I can’t go a full day on 100% charge before exhaustion. I’ve got both on flight mode so they are not constantly searching for a signal and only use wifi at hotels etc. tomorrow I might see if they float and survive the drop over Niagara :-w