Sound Bar for TV

Title says it all
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Sound Bar for TV

#21 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:56 pm

I just sent you (Cape) Morgan's current sound system for TV's as an e-mail. They don't deliver to abroad but if I could carry an LG TV and Skydigibox on the train I bet you could.

SCARTS very useful for us nerds as they carry in, out, RGB, etc, and also switching contacts to do Amazing Things.

All the LGs the family bought in the past five years and all the TVs on sale now (Carrefour, John Lewis, Richer Sounds) have SCART sockets, usually at least two. No sign of USB-C yet but Flying Tiger is selling the cables.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by OFSO » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:33 pm

I have four satellite receivers and one DVT receiver. Each has two SCARTS. One socket from each is cabled to a modulator (5) which feeds a ring RF distribution system. Any of the house TV's or anything with an RF input can thus connect to any of the satellite receivers, which are set to Freesat SKY news, France 24, RTL, CAT3TV and (when I get it home in two weeks) the new (second hand) SKY TV box. So no need to change channels on the satellite receivers. Mrs OFSO has her own Sky box. In addition there's a parallel Ethernet CAT6 cable distribution for more intelligent devices, which is connected to the magic Huawei 4G box. System is a mass of untidy cables and needs constant maintenance and tweaking and must never ever be switched off. Touching any cable or connector causes downtime and usually half a days work tracing cables.

Capetonian

#23 Post by Capetonian » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:53 pm

I have four satellite receivers and one DVT receiver............System is a mass of untidy cables and needs constant maintenance and tweaking and must never ever be switched off. Touching any cable or connector causes downtime and usually half a days work tracing cables.
Thank you for reminding me why I use the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle for my electronics.

Thank you also for the Morgan link. I've had a good look and am weighing up options. Problem is the more choice there is, the more confused I am. All I really know is that I don't want sodding great 'woofers' to blast out JB noise, and that I want clear speech and a way of suppressing background interference, or 'music' as some might call it.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#24 Post by unifoxos » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 pm

Don't rely on SCARTS for any length of time. Tendency now is for them to be replaced by HDMI and in a surprisingly short time I expect them to go the way of VHS.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by ian16th » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:50 pm

I still have a serviceable VHS recorder and a DVD recorder.

There is a small demand for copying home video's to DVD, particularly weddings.
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by OFSO » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:52 am

Multi-pin plugs and sockets carrying low level AC signals can 'go off' as it were. For some applications we used to 'wet' them with a continuous small DC voltage which helped. Seemingly every connector on every device will shortly be replaced by USB-C. Oh yes ?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:07 am

Cables and wires. Mrs PN 's nightmare. OFSO, do you find they move in the dark? What was laid out in direct and parallel lines become inextricably tied in knots should it be necessary to trace one?

Why USB C? Why connect at all? Instead of mains and other sockets mounted vertically, have inductive pads connected with concealed cables, everything else just placed in range.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#28 Post by unifoxos » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Trying to get all mine done while I've still got a working VHS player. Taking forever as my tapes go back to the early 90s, and I was a bit profligate with recording after having to be so careful with the previous Super 8 which was so expensive.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by ian16th » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:21 pm

unifoxos wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:10 pm

Trying to get all mine done while I've still got a working VHS player. Taking forever as my tapes go back to the early 90s, and I was a bit profligate with recording after having to be so careful with the previous Super 8 which was so expensive.
My Super 8 camera, a Sony FX700, has totally given up the ghost and I still have some tapes that I cannot play/copy ~X(

For a while it wouldn't record, but it did play.
Cynicism improves with age