Skype Update.

Title says it all
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Skype Update.

#1 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 pm

Skype update.

For many years I have had Skype installed on my PC Laptop and iPad. I rarely use it, but it is useful when away from home to use the ability to make telephone calls via Skype on the iPad in circumstances where I don't have access to a locally activated mobile. ( I'm not a Smartphone fan, and neither do I indulge in expensive "Roaming".)

I have two Skype acoounts, one for the Laptop and one for the iPad.

Recently, when opening these devices,and not even going near the Skype icon, I have been assailed with a note from Skype that my version is out of date, update now. I ignored these for a few months, but recently thought, what's to lose, and attempted to do as I was told ?

The Laptop behaved as expected, hit the update button and things whirred and flashed and eventually Installed, so I made a quick phone call, and disconnected when the - assumed - called number rang, so that I wouldn't even be charged the 2 cents or whatever from my remaining small balance - nothing mean about me, Carruthers.

But the iPad ..... refuses to play ball. I go around and around in never decreasing circles constantly being prompted to "Update" on every page it leads me to, even found a specific instruction on a "Skype for iPad" page that I occasionally found myself on, but it never accepts my prompt. I have, via means that I now forget, received a message that "Skype is not available on this device," but it has been there for yonks, and the desktop icon is still there, but only returns me to the "update now" demand, won't open the old installation.

WTF ?

and ... the Laptop now opens with a "Welcome to Skype ", and an invitation to enjoy all sorts of weird and wonderful benefits, instead of just opening my long enjoyed desktop picture s it has for many years. A pox on Skype but I would like to re-activate my iPad option.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Skype Update.

#2 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 am

On the same topic, I 'updated' SKYPE on 3 machines (eventually!). All Win10. The only reason I did it was because due to several SKYPE cock-ups I had been 'credited' with about £20 of call credit!!! Not surprisingly I did not want to waste this. Both Laptops seemed fine and worked. PC would not 'log in'. Round and round in circles with the misnamed M$ 'support' with no resolution and now they just do not respond.

Since it is not convenient to use either Laptop for Skype (we mainly use a 'normal' VOIP app for telephony) I went against my instincts and installed Sype on my Android phone. IT WORKED! I am now happily chuntering my way through the remaining £!7 or so and when it has gone, SKYPE on all machines will be consigned to the dustbin of history, where it belongs.

Slasher

#3 Post by Slasher » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:42 am

Skype used to be good reliable and user-friendly. Now it's junk.

I only (rarely) use it on my iPhone and deleted it on my laptops. Apsara had it on her laptop only. We NEVER do updates.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:52 am

You can still find old versions of Skype for download if you search. 7.36 seems favourite. Don't forget to cancel 'Update'. Just remember that MS will eventually stop them working, 'cos that what M$ do - because the older versions are not sending enough user information to M$?

Slasher

#5 Post by Slasher » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:57 am

***** just like to bell and whistle anything useful and practical out of existence.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:34 am

You should, some time, look at all the 'hidden' info your machine is sending to M$ - even with the install 'sneak' options disabled.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by ian16th » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:06 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 pm
I have two Skype acoounts, one for the Laptop and one for the iPad.
I have just the one Skype account, and sign into the one account from desktop or laptop.

I don't see the need for two accounts.

Don't use Skype much these days anyway as WhatsApp seems ubiquitous.

The Skype exception is phoning Barclays in CI.
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:40 am

I don't see the need for two accounts.
Don't disagree, I only had one account until I was in California and the Laptop was in New Zealand, and I couldn't remember the Skype name or password ! So started again, no problem 'cept it won't update on the iPad and even tells me that Skype is not available on the iPad, despite sending that advice to the iPad, and occasionally inviting me to download "Skype for iPad".

I agree that I could bin the lot, but object to swelling Bill Gates' fortune by wasting the small amount of credit that still remains on both accounts, and will probably see me out for the rest of my natural, I wasn't born in Yorkshire for nothing.

I only want to update, at their insistence, so WTF won't it let me ?

Capetonian

#9 Post by Capetonian » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:19 am

I have an app on my phone called Ringo which lets me call anywhere at minimal cost. It also has the advantage that I can call using any of my numbers regardless of where I am.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:04 am

Does it route through Liverpool !

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ian16th » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:32 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:19 am
I have an app on my phone called Ringo which lets me call anywhere at minimal cost. It also has the advantage that I can call using any of my numbers regardless of where I am.
A good explanation of Ringo here.

Not for me, but it might be for Speedy with his commutes between the USA and NZ.
And maybe OFSO tripping twixt Spain & UK..
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by OFSO » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:30 pm

OFSO is very happy with Whatevers App. Frankly I find SKYPE a total PITA since Microsoft bought it. We keep a subscription to landlines each year because Her Ladyship likes it but for occasional use its really not worth it compared to free WA.