Contacting members from the other site.

Title says it all
admin
Chief Engineer

Re: Contacting members from the other site.

#21 Post by admin » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:17 am

Wrote on the SCAMMERS thread:
Reminds me of an incident not long before I retired. Working as accountant/IT officer for a legal centre. Principal solicitor, all of a fluster, barges into my office after having deleted a folder full of very important emails relating to a pending tribunal hearing. "Help" says she, "I need to recover them somehow".

15 mins later let her know that everything was back where they should be, and I had checked that all contents were intact. Next case work meeting she really gets stuck into me after the realisation sank in that I had access to everything and I mean everything on the computers that happened in the centre ?

Once upon a time belonged to a society for IT professionals that upheld certain ethical standards with regard to data use. One suspects there aren't any such any more - ethical standards that is. But people don't seem to care.

Alison

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by 500N » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:42 am

Alison

And companies still use your details - especially contact tel number when on a no call list - and even when you tell them
to stop, they continue to call. That is until threats to persons and family are made down the phone, guaranteed to get
you off the "to phone" list.

No such thing as ethics !

henry crun

#23 Post by henry crun » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:06 am

500N wrote:No such thing as ethics !

Yeth there ith, it'th the place near Lunnun where all the ethics girls livth.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:21 am

That is until threats to persons and family are made down the phone, guaranteed to get

Didn't have to get that personal 500N; Just said that I had previously requested them on several occasions to cease and desist calling and that my patience was now at an end. One more call and 'you will be hearing from my Solicitor with a cease harassment order, and I may also call (the local 'shockjock' talkback radio station) and relate how I have tried to stop you calling me.'

Never ever heard from them again! :D
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:12 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:
That is until threats to persons and family are made down the phone, guaranteed to get

Didn't have to get that personal 500N; Just said that I had previously requested them on several occasions to cease and desist calling and that my patience was now at an end. One more call and 'you will be hearing from my Solicitor with a cease harassment order, and I may also call (the local 'shockjock' talkback radio station) and relate how I have tried to stop you calling me.'

Never ever heard from them again! :D

A very shrill whistle blown as loud as can be into the phone during such instances works wonders. Especially after the caller suffers a ruptured ear drum. :)) :))
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

glad rag
CPL
CPL

#26 Post by glad rag » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:30 pm

It has been a topic of discussion [not pm's lol] between myself and an-other as things seemed to have a habit of following certain discussions that were ongoing both as threads and PM's.

Just another reason to gtfo if that's going on....
The sands of time are running low...

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by 500N » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:38 pm

The powers that be on the other place do not like me sending PM's to people.

Strange, considering they seem to do a pretty good job of getting rid of quite a few :D

Keef

#28 Post by Keef » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:44 pm

'Tis a strange concept: I'm not sure I understand the logic of preventing mention of the new safe haven while driving folks in this direction.

That said, the word seems to be spreading.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by probes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:20 am

Keef wrote:'Tis a strange concept: I'm not sure I understand the logic of preventing mention of the new safe haven while driving folks in this direction.

What do you mean? Their logic of asterisking it out, like the ******** for 'blogspot'?

Keef

#30 Post by Keef » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:40 am

Yes.

"Go away, here's where to go, but we're going to hide the address so you can't go there.
Anyone who attempts to reveal the address of the new aviators' haven will be cast into outer darkness."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by Boac » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:45 am

will be cast into outer darkness.
- of course, that should read
will be cast into the lightness.
:D

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#32 Post by om15 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:10 pm

I don't especially think that they want anyone to openly or voluntarily leave, it is a sort of control thing, all this blocking certain threads to certain posters and so on. I think that the idea is that all participants on the other forum must be compliant with the requirements specified by the American sponsors and advertisers.
The level of control would be exposed for all to see if every former member who has been constructively dismissed were to be annotated with the "banned" sign, it would then become obvious to the advertisers that vast swathes of long time posters were being binned, the creation of this forum is now evidence of what has been happening.
It is peculiar that those who were excluded by stealth from the other place due to misbehaviour can now happily post here with no problems, looks like it wasn't them that was the problem doesn't it?

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#33 Post by 19downbubble » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:50 pm

It's not "vast swathes" though, is it? It's hardly anybody. They've got 5500 people online at the moment.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by 500N » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:12 pm

19downbubble wrote:It's not "vast swathes" though, is it? It's hardly anybody. They've got 5500 people online at the moment.

But took at the number of Forums they have.

In any case, quality over quantity :D

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by probes » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:13 pm

19downbubble wrote:It's not "vast swathes" though, is it? It's hardly anybody. They've got 5500 people online at the moment.

that's why it's puzzling?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by om15 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:25 pm

It's not "vast swathes" though, is it? It's hardly anybody.

Go back over old threads, if everyone who had been binned in the past 5 years had the "banned" sign against their name it would be seen to be vast swathes, I didn't mean just those who have recently moved on to here, I was referring to everyone that has gone.

EDIT, Out of curiosity I have just looked at one of the longest running threads on jet Blast, our old favourite on Scottish Independence, as far as I can tell of the first 10 people that still have posts remaining on page 1, five are still active members of that forum and of the other five have left or been banned.
So possibly we say 50% turn over in 2 years?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by Boac » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:46 pm

Assuming it 'survives', (and I don't see why not unlike the other attempts in the past), give this place a few decades and then see the numbers. Remember also that of the 415,000+ 'members' over there a lot are kids and multiple i/ds, and a lot of the ones RL has 'forced' away were good ones.

I see the news has reached Pirep (well done, Bronx!). It needs spreading on other aviation fora too.

19downbubble
Snr FO
Snr FO

#38 Post by 19downbubble » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:06 am

Om15, I think people drift between sites and parts of each site, as they change and the sites change.

I'm not sure looking at longest-running threads is a good test: after a while on the social/political threads, only the nutters with entrenched views are left. In the case of PPRuNe, it tends to be the same nutters on EVERY such thread. I'm using "nutters" in a huggy fluffy cuddly affectionate sense here. A better metric would be threads which have the most views. For example, Rotorheads threads are generally high signal-to-noise ratio, with lots of readers. Then there's "Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW11" which is currently in the hands of Danny42C and has a big audience. So people who think they're making a major contribution to PPRuNe, probably aren't: a handful of people banging heads together with an audience consisting of themselves isn't an attractive community. A handful of people pulling in thousands of PV/month is much better.

Huh. I see IB's now getting Criteo ads. It would be interesting to know what ads get shown to various people.

Heli
CPL
CPL

#39 Post by Heli » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:26 am

Boac wrote:I see the news has reached Pirep (well done, Bronx!). It needs spreading on other aviation fora too.

I haven't seen Bronx over here, nor is he on the members list?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Boac » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:26 am

Good grief - looks as if he has caught one client already!! Maybe more will follow.