DNS Propagation.......or not!

Title says it all
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

DNS Propagation.......or not!

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun May 12, 2019 3:51 pm

DNS propagation started at 1330 on Thursday when I changed hosts for my website. When I did this in the dim past I was up and running again in about 8 hours. My new host says 1-24 hours for propagation to complete. The most pessimistic statement on the internet says it can take up to 72 hours. I'm now 75 hours and counting. I've checked all the sites where you can check how DNS propagation is proceeding and they are all looking at the correct new IP address. I've cleared my cache, done a DNS flush, used different browsers, all to no avail. I shall fire a 12 gun broadside when Support opens at 0800 tomorrow. All I get is this when I type in my website's new IP address:
dnsfail.JPG
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

admin
Chief Engineer

Re: DNS Propagation.......or not!

#2 Post by admin » Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Sounds like someone has cocked something up somewhere C16. I recently relocated a site to a new IP address and the DNS propagated worldwide in a few hours - five to be precise. PM me the domain name and I will check here if you like.

Alison

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: DNS Propagation.......or not!

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon May 13, 2019 11:09 am

Everything is now sorted. My thanks to Alison who spent time looking at things for me last night ^:)^ . The problem was not DNS propagation as that was apparently completed days ago.

I had everything set up correctly on the FTP program contained within my weather software but when the files were FTP'd they were going to the root directory of my website instead of to the correct folder. For some reason my weather software steadfastly refused to upload to the correct folder even though everything was set up as it should be. The support desk at the host provided new settings for me which my FTP program likes and the site is live again after 4 days at Glenbervie Weather. Now to retrieve all those misplaced files....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org