Old/Small SD Cards and USB Drives

Title says it all
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Old/Small SD Cards and USB Drives

#1 Post by ian16th » Thu May 16, 2019 2:03 pm

With the ever decreasing price of memory, as I buy larger capacity SD cards and USB drives, I am collecting Old/Small SD Cards and USB Drives that I don't have much, if any use for.

e.g. I have 4GB SD cards and even a 256MB USB drive.

Anyone any suggestions what they could be used for?
Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Old/Small SD Cards and USB Drives

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu May 16, 2019 2:22 pm

The price of cheap, smaller TV screens is dropping rapidly, to the point where they can be used as electronic picture frames. As the newer models all become "smart", the "dumb" ones will get even cheaper. They have USB slots. I am thinking of using old USB sticks to hold pictures and videos to show on the screens, without needing any link to a main computer.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by izod tester » Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 pm

I use one to keep a bootable installation of SystemRescueCd ( http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/ ). I have another with Tails (https://tails.boum.org/ which I use when I am away from home and don't want to use my phone. I also have one with scans of my passport driving license and bank cards, suitably encrypted, which I keep in my pocket when traveling in aircraft (think emergency escape with real documents left behind in bag in overhead luggage).

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ian16th » Thu May 16, 2019 3:06 pm

How can I delete this?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Thu May 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:22 pm
The price of cheap, smaller TV screens is dropping rapidly, to the point where they can be used as electronic picture frames. As the newer models all become "smart", the "dumb" ones will get even cheaper. They have USB slots. I am thinking of using old USB sticks to hold pictures and videos to show on the screens, without needing any link to a main computer.
An Idea!

My TV is now quite old, a Sony 40EX400 from about 10 years ago. It has a USB port but it only accepts a retracted subset of video file types.
I have a LG Blu-ray/DVD player with a USB hub and through this I can play most formats.

I have my TV mounted on a wall bracket, and looking at new TV's, a new 55"one weighs less than my current 40"one. So my bracket should work without any wall drilling etc.
So I have been checking out the market for 55"smart TV's and I am leaning towards a Samsung.
Must explain, Sony left the SA market and abandoned their customers!
My other restriction is my ADSL line. Fibre isn't available in this backwood and I only have a 4Mb copper wire.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ian16th » Thu May 16, 2019 3:14 pm

izod tester wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 2:58 pm
I use one to keep a bootable installation of SystemRescueCd ( http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/ ). I have another with Tails (https://tails.boum.org/ which I use when I am away from home and don't want to use my phone. I also have one with scans of my passport driving license and bank cards, suitably encrypted, which I keep in my pocket when traveling in aircraft (think emergency escape with real documents left behind in bag in overhead luggage).
1. Yes.
2. Don't really have any use for it.
3. I all ready have this in a secure folder in my phone, laptop and PC, but it would be a travelling back up.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by llondel » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Somewhere I still have my original 16MB USB flash drive. I used to use it to store my private key for encryption but seeing as it's 10x bigger than a modern drive with a fraction of the capacity, it's been retired from that role.