Huawei

Title says it all
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Huawei

#1 Post by OFSO » Mon May 20, 2019 1:35 pm

1) Google imposes restrictions in what it can sell to Huawei.
2) Having failed to notice that Huawei is the second biggest manufacturer of smartphones in the world, Google's wonders why profits have fallen.
3) Huawei and the rest of the far-asian manufacturers tell Google to get stuffed and go off and make their own OS.
4) See (2) above...

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Huawei

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Mon May 20, 2019 2:10 pm

The corporatocracy which owns America is playing hard-ball in the trade war against China.

They are clearly rattled by the fact that China is overtaking America in almost every field other than militarism.

I don't see it ending well.

Huawei is now forced to come up with an OS that is at least as good as Apple's and Google's. They will quite certainly rise to that challenge.

One upon a time, not very long ago, it was Americans who were the innovators. Now it's the Chinese who are. Take a look at the extraordinary success of DJI with their quadcopters. They are now the world leaders, both in quantity and quality.

Within a couple of years Huawei will have a phone which beats Samsung and Apple into a cocked hat.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Mon May 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Will the Chinese OS be called Huandroid?
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Mon May 20, 2019 3:14 pm

We have three in this household. Use 'em in preference to the multitude of desktops, laptops and one Chromebook. All mailing, composing, browsing, photo-editing, switching things on and off, and writing posts to Ops N are done on the Huawei phones. This one is. Phone cost €120.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Undried Plum » Mon May 20, 2019 3:17 pm

There are several reasons for The Empire's decline. In the context of Huawei, there is the matter of manufacturabilty as well as innovation.

Tesla showed that good old Yankee innovation ain't dead, but their manufacturing skills are piss-poor. The build quality of Teslas is crap. Jaguar has produced a worthy ketchup competitor for the Tesla Model X and it has superb build quality and they are delivering to their customers at an appropriate production rate which keeps the customer happy. It's two-thirds of the price of the Model X.

The Tesla Model 3, which was supposed to be an affordable mass-produced version of the very pricey Model S, was to be only $35k and produced in colossal quantities. The actual production rate has been totally crap and the build quality is disappointing. The marketing is good, when you consider that they don't spend a dime on bought advertising in any of the media, but their inability to learn how to make the damned things in serious quantities makes the firm horribly vulnerable to a Chinese competitor who can both innovate and mass-produce.

No American firm can compete with Huawei in the production of 5G equipment. They can't compete technologically or on price or on deliverability. Therefore they obstruct by what might politely be called 'other means'. It's a sign of the terminal decline of the greatest Empire the world has ever known.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon May 20, 2019 8:21 pm

Is Huawei the only one making 5G equipment? I think not. I was given a Huawei phone on a previous job (I think the P8 lite) and it made my ancient then Motorola G3 looked a technological marvel in comparison with the P8. And let's not forget the enormous amount of apps available on Play Store the Google one.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Undried Plum » Mon May 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:21 pm
let's not forget the enormous amount of apps available on Play Store the Google one.
That's gonna be a very heavy blow, as intended.

A knock-out punch? Mebbe not.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Alisoncc » Tue May 21, 2019 5:11 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:10 pm
Huawei is now forced to come up with an OS that is at least as good as Apple's and Google's. They will quite certainly rise to that challenge.
Both Apple's iOS and Google's Android are based on UNIX variants with smart front ends. UNIX/Linux/Zenix, etc. are all in the public domain. Reverse engineering Android wouldn't be that difficult. Especially if Huawei show two fingers to Googles Intellectual property. They probably already have a copy of Google's source code, stolen previously. Suspect the only reason why Huawei use Android is to maintain compatibility with third party apps.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Undried Plum » Tue May 21, 2019 6:13 am

Isn't Android open source anyway?

The problem is that Goggle will withhold access to their Play Store which is where customers get their apps from. They will also withhold things like YouTube from Huawei machines.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Undried Plum » Tue May 21, 2019 7:00 am

There's an interesting article on the BBC about Huawei's supply problems.

International trade is intrinsically a 2-way thing and the construction of devices like smartphones is a very complex web of interdependent electronics companies.

Chump is pissing in the fusebox of such trade. That's not clever.

Although iPhones are made in China, the componentry is remarkably diverse:

Accelerometer: Bosch in Germany. Invensense in the United States.

Audio Chipsets and Codec: Cirrus Logic in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).

Baseband processor: Qualcomm in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).

Batteries: Samsung in South Korea. Huizhou Desay Battery in China.

Cameras: Sony in Japan. OmniVision in the United States produces the front-facing FaceTime camera chip but subcontracts TMSC (in Taiwan) for manufacturing.

Chipsets and Processors: Samsung in South Korea and TSMC in Taiwan. Alongside their partner GlobalFoundries in the United States.

Controller Chips: PMC Sierra and Broadcom Corp in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).

Display: Japan Display and Sharp in Japan. LG Display in South Korea.

DRAM: TSMC in Taiwan. SK Hynix in South Korea.

eCompass: Alps Electric in Japan.

Fingerprint sensor authentication: Authentec makes it in China but outsources it to Taiwan for manufacturing.

Flash memory: Toshiba in Japan and Samsung in South Korea.

Gyroscope: STMicroelectronics in France and Italy.

Inductor coils (audio): TDK in Japan.

Main Chassis Assembly: Foxconn and Pegatron in China.

Mixed-signal chips (such as NFC): NXP in Netherlands.

Plastic Constructions (for the iPhone 5c): Hi-P and Green Point in Singapore.

Radio Frequency Modules: Win Semiconductors (module manufacturers Avago and RF Micro Devices) in Taiwan. Avago technologies and TriQuint Semiconductor in the United States. Qualcomm in the United States for LTE connectivity.

Screen and Glass (for the display): Corning (Gorilla Glass) in the United States. GT Advanced Technologies produces the sapphire crystals in the screens.

Semiconductors: Texas Instruments, Fairchild and Maxim Integrated in the United States.

Touch ID sensor: TSMC and Xintec in Taiwan.

Touchscreen Controller: Broadcom in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).

Transmitter and Amplification Modules: Skyworks and Qorvo in the United States (outsourced for manufacturing).

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 am

After all that, does your phone still work?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by OFSO » Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am

Ours do ! Read two Spanish and one Catalan paper this morning. All say sanctions have nothing to do with Chinese spying. Purely a trade war as US realises it's falling behind.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:25 am

Latest UK news is that despite the Chump's rantings, BT are going to replace most 'or all' of their ECI cabinets with Huawei ones. It could be as many as 25,191 cabinets.

admin
Chief Engineer

#14 Post by admin » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:18 am

Having spent many years programming bit manipulation in 'C', the ability to include innocuous looking subroutines in the totality of code embedded in modern systems in my opinion constitutes a massive cyber defence vulnerability. It's not about spying Boac, just imagine if all of those 25,191 cabinets were to shut down instantaneously on the request of a single individual in Beijing. Difficult - absolutely not.

The Chinese already control the whole of the UK's power distribution, being able to shut down the whole system at will. Thirty years ago they were supplying complete SCADA systems at a fraction of the price of Western suppliers so scoring every competitive tender.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Boac » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:00 am

Indeed - and I never mentioned 'spying' [-X

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:20 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:18 am
Having spent many years programming bit manipulation in 'C', the ability to include innocuous looking subroutines in the totality of code embedded in modern systems in my opinion constitutes a massive cyber defence vulnerability. It's not about spying Boac, just imagine if all of those 25,191 cabinets were to shut down instantaneously on the request of a single individual in Beijing. Difficult - absolutely not.
All the ATMs in the UK once crashed in unison due to a time-related bug in OS/2.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:43 pm

Nevermind the ability to include disruptor/spying chips in the hardware, which we know the Chinese already do

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features ... -companies

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:26 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:20 pm
All the ATMs in the UK once crashed in unison due to a time-related bug in OS/2.
My garage clean out has included he binning of my copy of OS/2.

I last used it on my PS/2 Mod 50Z.
Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 pm

More on Chinese surveillance - visitors to Xinjiang region (centre of Uighur muslim population), tourists included, are forced to install an app on their phones which transmits all their text messages, contacts, file details, etc to the authorities.
Confirmed by multiple sources (Süddeutsche Zeitung, the Guardian, the New York Times, and the German public broadcaster NDR)
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/7xga ... of-malware

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:41 pm

ian16th wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:26 pm
llondel wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:20 pm
My garage clean out has included he binning of my copy of OS/2.

I last used it on my PS/2 Mod 50Z.
I still run a copy of OS/2 in a virtual machine. One day I'll finally get around to rewriting the one application on it I need to run under Linux natively. Fifteen years and counting...