Low Cost Smartphone. Why not?

Title says it all
ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Low Cost Smartphone. Why not?

#1 Post by ian16th » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 am

Being a smartphone user for only 18 months I have some questions.

Why does anyone need a BIGGER one?

I bought a midrange Samsung J7 Pro and it has done everything I have asked it.

Am I missing something? Did I overspend? Might I have got by with a cheaper model?
What couldn't I have done with a smaller phone?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Low Cost Smartphone. Why not?

#2 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:24 pm

Just re-equipped Mrs B with an Alba 4 from Argos at £49.95. No expense spared....... :))

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:29 pm

I have used only low level smartphones. The current one is the largest of all (I had three so far) and the one I prefer not only size-wise. You can see more on the screen mainly and the more expensive the model is the longer life it might have. I had to retire the previous one because the internal memory was small and the apps couldn't upgrade. Plus the processors can't cope with the new versions of Android.

I had acquire one from a telcom provider (smart-phone 1) but a friend has the next model up from the same provider and she is happy after a good 4 years in servcice.

I am not sure if it helps.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by llondel » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:35 pm

Size isn't everything. Once it's too big to fit in the pocket it's not convenient.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:39 pm

llondel wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:35 pm
Size isn't everything. Once it's too big to fit in the pocket it's not convenient.
I wasn't thinking of physical size, more on the lines of power, MIPS, memory and such, that might change function.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Mine cost £57 from eBay, when the previous model broke I just swapped sims and sd cards. Sold the broken one for £30.

It is 5.5 inch, not that much smaller than my Kindle Fire so I can use it as a reader. It is only 3G and does not have GPS. I use it for computer power not for data. Spending ££££ is insane.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Nowadays wimmin call it cockfishing.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:59 pm

We have three Huawei. Two big, cost £125 each, one small screen which cost £85. Absolutely perfect. People who buy top-line Apple are utterly insane. More money than sense. And yes, I've tried them. I was given a free i-Phone. Binned it before 24hrs was up.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by ian16th » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:38 pm

It must say something about the membership of this forum, that nobody has attempted to make the case for top end smart phones!

Y'all can't be short armed, deep pocketed, tight fisted Yorkshiremen, like me!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:13 pm

I was horrified when an intelligent eight-year-old boy I know intimated he just wanted the latest version of the i-phone. Never heard of Samsung or Huawei. Never heard of the Android OS. All his school chums also just lusting after Apple phones. So disregard how good/bad they are they obviously have the best advertising. I told him that all the engineers and technicians I know use android phones because of the open OS and unlimited memory. No matter, he wanted an i-phone....

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Y'all can't be short armed, deep pocketed, tight fisted Yorkshiremen, like me!
Yes we can ! ( e.g. Me Too )

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:21 pm

After resisting getting a smartphone for years - my usage of my PAYG mobile doesn't really justify the expense - I have finally accepted that I need to change. My current phone is a Nokia 130 which has a nasty habit of dialling '999' even when the keyboard is locked and it's in my pocket. I think Lincolnshire Police are getting pissed off with me. :(

As me canal society are wanting us to use that "What three words" app should we need emergency help whilst we are out on the cut in the boats, it looks like I need to convert -the Nokia doesn't do apps. The question is which one do I select from the multitude available? I've looked at the Which? web-site and noted the "Don't Buys" but that still leaves a mahoosive choice.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Capetonian

#13 Post by Capetonian » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:10 pm

I am very happy with my OnePlus 5, which I've had for about 3.5 years. It's a dual sim (which I need), excellent build quality, handles all the apps I need, and I although I don't use it for music, videos, etc, the quality is adequate to do so. It was my son who researched and recommended this phone, we got him one for his 18th. birthday and although he's dropped it countless times and the screen is cracked, it's still going strong although he's due a new one for Christmas.

I think I paid about £400 for mine, off the shelf, SIM only, no contract. The contracts are a bit of a rip off, they offer you far more than you are likely to need unless you're a constantly on the phone/texting teenagers.

The phone has far more gadgets and features than I need but I appreciate the ease of use and the solid build quality.

People who buy Apple products mostly seem to do so because they want to get into a pissing contest with everyone else.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:31 pm

I got a CUBOT on eBay. First failed after a year; I got half the cost back selling it on eBay. The new one is now 2 years. 5.5inch screen, doubles as a tablet. They cost less than £60 each.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:48 pm

My sister has OnePlus 3 + (bought several years ago) and she is happy. It was recommended to her by the IT department of her work. One point is that it uses a different cable for charging from almost all other phones so you need to have your cable and charger with you. As Cape says it is on the expensive side as I understand you are looking for something more affordable. Xiaomi and TPLink are doing some good mobiles more on budget size.

I avoid buying from e-shops because I enjoy the facility of having a store to contact if the phone is defective early on my possession.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:51 pm

I have a Samsung J6. The problem I am now finding, with only 8GB RAM, is not so much the phone as the apps. Because more RAM is fitted to newer phones, the size of the apps has been expanded to the point where I can now only fit a few apps on my phone. On the other hand, it has a huge add-on card and I am able to fit my entire music collection on it, so even when I replace the phone I will still have a cheap iPod equivalent, which also acts as my truck GPS, etc.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by ian16th » Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Recently bought SM a Samsung A20 for about £150.

It is better than the Samsung J7 Pro that I bought for me last June, that cost me £300!

Both phones are on PYG and are dual sim. By having dual sim, one can switch easily and painlessly between suppliers and optimise the latest deals/offers for data, while keeping the same number on the other sim for voice calls.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:07 pm

The apps are an issue because as you download the updates more memory space is required.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:13 pm

We have three Huawei, excellent, one cost under €100, the other two just over. 32Gb cards in all. However, being interested in smartphone development I'm in contact with people in the far East who tell me Xiaomi are now top dog for innovations. They are, we think, massively subsidised by their government. Their smart wristband I bought with colour touch screen (time, weather, notifications, g and e mail, what's app, and health) cost €35 and has a battery life of - wait for it - 21 days.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:50 pm

I am checking the battery life OFSO and I am wondering if these 21 days is without any bluetooth connection to the mobile I take you have the band 4. Huawaei, an old budget model gave me the impression of being cheapish.