Movie audio on the box

Title says it all
Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Movie audio on the box

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:03 am

My screen in the kitchen/dining room is a fairly old Panasonic one. Picture quality is very good, but sound quality seems to vary significantly. Some movies on broadcast to air are as clear as one could possibly want them to be. There's a Harry Potter movie running on one channel at present and even on low volume I can easily distinguish every word spoken. On another channel there's one of the Star Wars movies - Attack of the Clones or some such, and I have to really concentrate to pick out what they are saying.

Played around with all the settings, and nothing seems to make any significant difference. Some movies are quite clear and others too much effort to be worthwhile attempting to watch. Doesn't appear to be channel dependant either. It's as if they using a different codec. Anyone else found similar?

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

k3k3
Capt
Capt

Re: Movie audio on the box

#2 Post by k3k3 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:24 am

There have been numerous complaints about the sound quality in BBC historical dramas, it's difficult to understand what the actors are saying due to a combination of mumbling for effect and background noise/music.

The programme makers must think we all have youthful ears.

Capetonian

#3 Post by Capetonian » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 am

Same problem. The audio on the TV is not very good, as is often the case with flatscreen devices, so I have the sound running through a small hifi system and a pair of speakers which gives decent sound. Despite that I find the dialogue on some films hard to follow, this is sometimes because of background noise (I suspect they call it music) overwhelming the dialogue. I don't bother to watch those, and usually they are USAmerican.

I have on the odd occasion when I actually wanted to watch a USAmerican film tried listening through a pair of high quality headphones but it makes no difference.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:00 am

The secret is 'drivel'. A modern block buster explosive movie depends on visual and the dialogue is there only to elevate it from a silent movie. Watched one recently with two characters walking down the corridor holding earnest conversation - meaning 'so busy and dynamic we can't spare time to discuss things in the office '.

How many times in real life do you discuss urgent business in the hoof?

In contrast just watched 'The Password is Courage ' on YouTube last night. Visuals are not that sharp on a modern TV but the audio is very good. The pre-escape briefing for the tunnel is detailed whereas a modern film would have done it in 5 second bursts.

I f you haven't seen it I recommend it. It is unusual for POW genre films focusing on OR and not officers. And it is a good laugh too.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by OFSO » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:09 am

Agree. We have five or six TVs of differing ages. Some have dynamic processors making soft passages louder and louder passages softer ("film sound setting"). None are very effective. Continually reaching for the remote volume control.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:32 am

I have a bluetooth attachment connected to the headphone Jack that feeds directly to my hearing aids. I have an independent volume control and am constantly using it!
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:39 am

Ian, that is what I am hoping to have when I get my veterans hearing aids. I believe it is agreed just waiting for final approval.

What make do you have? Do they work.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by OFSO » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:15 pm

Yes Pontius they do, but as Ian and I wrote, one has to constantly twiddle the volume knob. I have them in stereo to overcome my Twinnitus.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 pm

And the make?

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:38 pm

Mine are Oticon. They work fine but Oticon are changing their system, and I am investigating a new supplier.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:55 pm

Thank you. My Sociologist has put me forward for Phonak Audio Marvel R rechargeable.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by ian16th » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:04 pm

My medical insurer only plays for the actual hearing aids. Any 'accessories' are for my account, so I need to investigate.

Capetonian

#13 Post by Capetonian » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Hugh Grant has complained that cinemas are too loud. It is indeed one of the things that puts me off going to the cinemas, the booming bass and the surging music. I suppose the only positive is that it drowns out the sound of people farting and rustling popcorn packets.

My favourite place to watch a film is at 40,000 feet in a business class seat, using my own noise reducing headphones.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:06 am

Given up on cinemas. Haven't been in one for many many years. Invariably the sound was always too loud. So prefer to wait for the DVD as I then have control of the volume. As yet have never tried any of the streaming services, other than the freebees. Nothing can compare with a good Blu-ray on a decent screen in the comfort of one's own home. Being able to pause while you put the kettle on essential.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:33 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:21 pm
Hugh Grant has complained that cinemas are too loud.
Took the GCs to see a cartoon feature. We sat right up front. Perfect audio.

When the big guy STOMPED the seats shook. You felt part of the film.

Perfect with hearing aids. I switched them off.

They work well with the MiLaw too.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by OFSO » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:38 pm

I have Thomson Active Noise Control headphones. Drown out the ghastly screaming from the wife's TV showing Bake Strictly X-factor off your Apprentice.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:50 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:32 am
I have a bluetooth attachment connected to the headphone Jack that feeds directly to my hearing aids. I have an independent volume control and am constantly using it!
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:39 am
Ian, that is what I am hoping to have when I get my veterans hearing aids. I believe it is agreed just waiting for final approval.

What make do you have? Do they work.
PN - Mrs C16 has that system although they are 5 year old Phonaks which were top of the range but now not the latest version although they work well with the TV bluetooth gizmo .... and the bluetooth Phonak telephone. How long did you have to wait to hear if you had passed stage 1 eligibility for veterans' hearing aids? I sent off the form and support documentation a month ago and have heard nothing yet. I appreciate they are swamped with applications.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:56 pm

C16, I had the assessment in April, got the VH1 and sent in in early June. Got the VH2 end August I think. Got the approval mid September I think, told I may get final approval around Christmas.

The original time scale quoted was a year.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:04 pm

Thanks PN - the VH1 form I completed said that if I pass that then I would have to get VH2 completed by an audiologist. No mention of an assessment before sending in VH1. I think the forms may have changed as I found two versions online.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:36 am

Charlie, I think that be a local variation. It meant that I could send the VH1 to the audiologist and with no further check she sent it on. It seemed rather odd at the time.

As a matter of interest t here will be a half yearly check up. This can be done on line.