Microsoft Office oddball

Title says it all
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Microsoft Office oddball

#1 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 pm

For reasons I will not elaborate on, I have a 2010 outlook and a 2016 'the rest'. I cannot get all my existing Word and Excel files to open in the 2016 version. I have tried re-registering 2016 Word/Excel but no joy. A 2016 repair would switch me to 2016 Outlook which is giving me big problems with the 2010 PST, so not an option. I cannot redirect the 'default' apps to 2016. The registry does not seem to offer any options. Anyone any bright ideas?

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Re: Microsoft Office oddball

#2 Post by jimtherev » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:07 pm

Can't say I've had the exact problem, but sortakinda recognise something v. similar. I seem to remember it was all of the above, except substituting Word '03 instead of '10. As for Outlook, I stopped using it at the same time, since it kindly downloaded and erased a year's worth of emails, then scrambled my address book - and something else, if I remember correctly. (Keef lost everything about the same time. He was slightly cross!)
I now use Thunderbird and Google calendar. which are less sophisticated but actually work reliably.

Now then, to your little problem. Mine, I think: I was actually led by one of M'soft's knowledge articles to an investigation of permissions and policies. As downloaded from the dvds, Office2010 would not look at anything earlier than stuff generated by Office 2003 or earlier (or it could have been '97 - I just can't remember.)

How about looking at the MS knowledge base on "you do not have permission to open..." after hitting F1 in any Office product, and see if it's helpful. If you're still stuck, you'll probably get a knowledgeable guru along some time; if not then come back and I'll try to find the notes I must have made at the time.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:54 am

Thanks, jim. It is a constant trail of exploration!

I see you are 'suffering' a bit - get well soon.

EDIT: I think I discovered the problem yesterday, in faat, and it appears that any updates to an Office version set that version as default when installed. That sounds like I'll be forever chasing! I'm planning on just shrugging my shoulders, I think.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:53 am

I have 10 or maybe 7. I installed 16 but hated the insipid colours and layout of Outlook. I uninstalled it and managed to recover everything. However Outlook no longer opens in a clik, I have to give it permission each time. :(

Anyway decided to give 16 s second try. Perhaps luckily it won't install.