Yet another Chinese manufacturer

Title says it all
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Yet another Chinese manufacturer

#1 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:57 am

When Huawei started selling excellent phones at very moderate prices I thought we had reached the pinnacle. Now along comes Xiaomi and is already the number four manufacturer world-wide. Reviews are excellent. My Godson bought one from China, downloaded a third-party OS (eat your heart out, Apple fans) suitable to his lifestyle (university, aeronautical studies, speciality fluid dynamics) and says given the price v quality, subsidies from the government must be large. And of course the Chump hasn't heard of Xiaomi so no trade or Google/Android embargoes.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Yet another Chinese manufacturer

#2 Post by Boac » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:00 am

And of course the Chump hasn't heard of Xiaomi so no trade or Google/Android embargoes.
- no, but when he wakes up and notices......oh what fun.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:27 am

OFSO, I keep thinking about how buying a handset from a new manufacturer is often a smart purchase. A cheap Huawei I was using once it was a disappointment but Xiaomi is being proving its value daily. I have heard about a handset from a router manufacturer which proved to be reliable.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:41 am

This household has three Huaweis and all are excellent. Plus both in UK and Spain Huawei 4G routers for phone and internet. But like most of us keep eyes and ears open for new technology and manufacturers. I have a contact who made a fortune bulk-buying from China (not electronics) and his stories about Chinese R&D and manufacturing and buying are eye-opening. If the EU didn't forbid government subsidies to industry it might also possess advanced technology, but that's for another thread ! Meanwhile China makes huge strides...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:35 pm

I see Vodafone do one with 5G for £60/m.

Personally I use a CUBOT which cost less than £60 complete. Does what I want, 5.5 inch screen, large enough to use as an eReader, and only £5/m contract.